Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: We Hayes Dubas's offseason moves so far

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm not judging the hire either way, but I continue to be confused by the idea that hiring people you already know and trust is somehow just "cronyism and nepotism".

It's far better to hire someone you already know can work with you and get the job done (as you see it, mind you), than hiring someone you don't know on the off chance they might be better.

If I could grab a select set of my former coworkers to join me at my current place of employment, I, too, would do it every time.

Yes, it's a problem if the person is bringing along unqualified people. That tends to happen if the person making the decisions is unqualified. Maybe that's the case here. But Clark seems to actually be qualified for what he is being brought in to do? Maybe it's a case of the blind squirrel finding the nut, but it's kind of weird how some people just jump to the conclusion that it must be a had hire because he worked with Dubas previously.

Reactions: Sideline

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
leafs suck. dubas sucks.

Let’s see what the experts say about that

IMG_0577.jpeg

IMG_0576.jpeg

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Let’s see what the experts say about that

View attachment 893654

View attachment 893655

View attachment 893658

These two go hard as well :laugh::laugh::laugh:
Can't for his spin on this one. :laugh:

This is worse than any political campaign bomb we've seen in recent history. I think it speaks heavily to his vendetta against the organization for firing Hextall. As I've said...Ron Hextall...what an incredibly odd hill to choose to not only die on but to dig your grave 50ft under while doing it. Just absolutely bizarre.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

This is worse than any political campaign bomb we've seen in recent history. I think it speaks heavily to his vendetta against the organization for firing Hextall. As I've said...Ron Hextall...what an incredibly odd hill to choose to not only die on but to dig your grave 50ft under while doing it. Just absolutely bizarre.
He's not a serious person. It's all show and no go!

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Not sure I get the juxtaposition.
all in good fun

Dawg this is bizarre

FYI - I believe I liked the Hextall hire, so I have some bad posts too.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Wes Clark? cool but can we also target some Dallas Stars guys? they draft amazingly.
Carolina is pretty good also. But Clark is quite capable. Most leaf fans on the message board are livid. lol

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Honestly, I'm more inclined to agree with Gurgs' take regarding the Karlsson trade. At the time, I was all for the trade and saw no downsides in it. And even now, I don't think there is a ton of downside because I bet they get a 1st back for Karlsson in the future. But I think this team showed last year that it's no longer a team you spend a 1st round pick to make better.

I don't mind the trade at this point because I think you get a 1st back for Karlsson in the future. But I think there's an extremely easy argument to make that they were better off not doing that deal and just eating the remaining years/money on Petry, Rutta and Granlund.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Truly don’t care if they get anything back in a trade for Karlsson. EK could retire here and trading him was the right move. I will defend it until the end of time. You absolutely had to pull the trigger that deal.

Dubas f***ed up badly with Jarry and Graves. Acciari getting a 3rd year is painful. But I’d still make the EK deal with hindsight, even if it wasn’t a home run.

Also, not that anyone cares anymore but he was legit good on the ice last year.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Honestly, I'm more inclined to agree with Gurgs' take regarding the Karlsson trade. At the time, I was all for the trade and saw no downsides in it. And even now, I don't think there is a ton of downside because I bet they get a 1st back for Karlsson in the future. But I think this team showed last year that it's no longer a team you spend a 1st round pick to make better.

I don't mind the trade at this point because I think you get a 1st back for Karlsson in the future. But I think there's an extremely easy argument to make that they were better off not doing that deal and just eating the remaining years/money on Petry, Rutta and Granlund.

Plus, to get a 1st in any Karlsson trade requires probably max retention, extending the negative return to 4 to 6 years term.

Reactions: farscape1

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Truly don’t care if they get anything back in a trade for Karlsson. EK could retire here and trading him was the right move. I will defend it until the end of time. You absolutely had to pull the trigger that deal.

Dubas f***ed up badly with Jarry and Graves. Acciari getting a 3rd year is painful. But I’d still make the EK deal with hindsight, even if it wasn’t a home run.

Yeah it wasn’t the Karlsson trade it was other/lack of other roster moves. We should have made playoffs last year but didn’t.

Obviously coaching is part of it but the roster just didn’t have great depth which is a must have these days.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Dubas strikes again
He's just fortifying his power here. We're already getting a good number of prospects from Europe, you're likely to see an uptick in that now.

Yeah it wasn’t the Karlsson trade it was other/lack of other roster moves. We should have made playoffs last year but didn’t.

Obviously coaching is part of it but the roster just didn’t have great depth which is a must have these days.
Considering our lack of depth and our core aging out why should we have made the playoffs last year?

Last edited:

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018

Yeah maybe a couple players in the range of the 1st will be really good and we can sit here and one day say with hindsight that Dubas should have started this kind of soft rebuild a year earlier. But at least we know that they weren’t so close to contending that effing EK couldn’t push them over the top, much less the playoffs.

Also- Can you imagine if Dubas didn’t try to win last summer and Sid had that year? KD’s head would be on a spike outside PPG.

Also we moved out a bunch of absolute trash and a mid first. It wasn’t horrible like the Duchene or original EK deal were where you lost a top 5 pick.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018

Graves yes, probably. Jarry, even though I despise him at this point, that's too early to say imo. Biggest mistake was sitting on his hands while the powerplay sunk the team - Pens shouldn't have been in a " lets see what we have here" mode last year.

But yea, 100%.. Karlsson was the most "you make that deal every time" trade the Pens have done in a long time. Fix the powerplay and he has 70 points and the Pens make the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad