Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: We Hayes Dubas's offseason moves so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Sorry to jump in, but it appears that the Avs are stealing your Director of Amateur Scouting; any info on the guy? Is he any good? The Avs' drafting has been a catastrophe for some time.
He was only here for 3 years so it's hard to say if his drafting was any good. On the surface the picks he made seem pretty good.

Reactions: Tom Hanks and Avs44

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
But like I said, I just don't view this to be a factor. I don't view being a part of a professional sports team as a "luxury" that has a morality based element that needs to be maintained. It's entertainment, that's it. I don't view professional sports as different than actors, musicians or anything like that.

I think I see what you are kinda aiming for, here.

But Bowman is an executive. Not an entertainer. Perhaps he's loosely in the entertainment business but to me Bowman is no more an entertainer than a musician's PR team are artists.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
Sorry to jump in, but it appears that the Avs are stealing your Director of Amateur Scouting; any info on the guy? Is he any good? The Avs' drafting has been a catastrophe for some time.

It's a tough call, honestly. He definitely got biased blowback because he was hired only because his father was hired only because he's buddies with Hextall. But that being said, I don't know that you can say his drafting was a "catastrophe." Mediocre, maybe? TBD is probably the best description just based on development timeframe.

The position the Pens have been in regarding their draft has also been a tad bit of an obstacle.

Reactions: Avs44

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
He was only here for a bit and it's hard to know which picks he was directly involved with making as opposed to other scouts but it's worth noting the Penguins' drafting (and development) has been downright ghastly for about a decade now. :laugh:

Reactions: Avs44

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think I see what you are kinda aiming for, here.

But Bowman is an executive. Not an entertainer. Perhaps he's loosely in the entertainment business but to me Bowman is no more an entertainer than a musician's PR team are artists.

Yeah and I absolutely understand the counter side here. To me, this kinda goes back to the whole "athletes should be role models" debate that I personally think is ridiculous. An athlete's job is to throw a ball, shoot a puck or hit a ball, that's it. I don't think it's "irrelevant", but how good or bad a guy is shouldn't matter unless it is either positive (good) or detrimental (bad) to the team.

My argument regarding Bowman is that he shouldn't be banned from the sport as long as he "served his time", and that any team should be able to hire him if they think his value will outweigh the downside of his past actions. But at the same point, I don't know why any team is bringing in that headache for a GM of all things. It's no different than when Columbus brought in Babcock last year, why is Babcock worth the headache?

He shouldn't be "banned" but teams should be smart enough to realize that bringing him in isn't worth it at all.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Yeah and I absolutely understand the counter side here. To me, this kinda goes back to the whole "athletes should be role models" debate that I personally think is ridiculous. An athlete's job is to throw a ball, shoot a puck or hit a ball, that's it. I don't think it's "irrelevant", but how good or bad a guy is shouldn't matter unless it is either positive (good) or detrimental (bad) to the team.

My argument regarding Bowman is that he shouldn't be banned from the sport as long as he "served his time", and that any team should be able to hire him if they think his value will outweigh the downside of his past actions. But at the same point, I don't know why any team is bringing in that headache for a GM of all things. It's no different than when Columbus brought in Babcock last year, why is Babcock worth the headache?

He shouldn't be "banned" but teams should be smart enough to realize that bringing him in isn't worth it at all.
The "time" he should be serving punitively should be permanent. That's the disagreement, I think. :laugh: The only reason he was ever hired, and subsequently reinstated, is because of his last name imo. He sucked when he took for over for Tallon in Chicago and he has one of the worst publicly facing stains in NHL history to his name. I think it's pretty cut and dry that making millions of dollars as one of ~40 GMs on earth in a major sport is a pretty luxury/priveliege based form of employment and not simply just another job. /shrug

I think Babcock's a miserable piece of shit and a textbook psychopath, but Bowman is directly linked to an incident far more repulsive than invasion of privacy ("lemme look at your phones") and being a caustic scumbag imo.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

Problem is, this was such a bad act he doesn't even deserve to be reinstated.

It's not even a thing him going through a program alleviates a sure hiding sexual assault for a decade to not hurt their Stanley Cup status.

These are pieces of shit people doing pieces of shit things to better their self/team interests.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

Really hard to guage what these types of people "behind the scenes" do or are effective at their jobs. You can't look at a draft pick and say: this was Joe Blow's pick. Because I'm guessing 99% of the selections made are collaborative efforts.

So he could be really good at his job and the players he advocated for didn't get picked or he could really suck at his job for the opposite scenario.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Really hard to guage what these types of people "behind the scenes" do or are effective at their jobs. You can't look at a draft pick and say: this was Joe Blow's pick. Because I'm guessing 99% of the selections made are collaborative efforts.

So he could be really good at his job and the players he advocated for didn't get picked or he could really suck at his job for the opposite scenario.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing after my dig at this team's pro scouts.

As far as I know it's a thankless, pointless job that consists of those individuals doing the best they can to research and carefully gauge their targets and present them to the GM... only for him to go sign the shlubs he was going to, anyway. Especially considering the egotistical, weird and flat-out incompetent GMs we've seen the last two and counting.

Very much counting. Shit just call it three.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Impossible to know both from where we sit and given his tenure. Def an old boys club guy (despite age). Doesn’t mean he’s bad at his job. He didn’t really stray from consensus with early picks for what it’s worth. Seemed to like to draft from the CHL?

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
This is the argument I flat out do not agree with. To me, being a part of the NHL isn't a "privilege", it's a job. If someone wants to hire Bowman after Bowman has "served the time" for his crime (which I honestly don't think he did, but whatever), I think it doesn't make any sense to deny him because they view the NHL as some special luxurious job. It's all entertainment, that's it. It's not this castle of morality that only the most pure people get to access.

Hell, you can easily argue that a ton of athletes are pieces of shit that get away with things that normal people would never get away with.
Maybe I can provide some nuance to this, and a different perspective. Even as a sexual assault survivor I can not stand cancel culture. Outside of very few things. Murder, rape (meaning the actually rapist), or being the primary puppeteer over a broad stroke of life altering misery for a group of people, things of this nature. I think there should be a path for redemption for everyone in some form. Bowman maybe incredibly cold hearted and ignorant for choices he made. And I would never wish good fortune upon the man. Ever. But that doesn't mean he should have his ability to just live life stripped from him forever. Now... That being said. If a team would want to hire him... I mean sure. Go for it. But it would a publicity nightmare of glairing proportions and a massive timebomb waiting to go off after he got in the door. Even one PR/HR innocent happens involving the team organization and you have the largest can of worms that has just been reopened and ownership would be left answering all the questions as to why? I try to look at it more instead of should be banned forever from the NHL or has he served his time? To rather I look at it like, why would you want to even hire him due to the ticking PR timebomb you'd be openly sitting in your front office? I am sure he is a very capable person that can find work in the corporate or commercial world that will pay him adequately for his abilities that is not in the entertainment business like a sports team is. My point is, I completely park my previous life happenings, and just say why would a sports franchise that whether you agree with it or not as an organization has a public image it depends on for profits ever even think its a good idea to hire him? I certainly hope the Penguins never hire him.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Impossible to know both from where we sit and given his tenure. Def an old boys club guy (despite age). Doesn’t mean he’s bad at his job. He didn’t really stray from consensus with early picks for what it’s worth. Seemed to like to draft from the CHL?
This is not only the best, but really the most important thing they can do to be successful.

They are correct the vast majority of time when compared to the player you reach on.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

We seem to have drafted better the last few years. We should get at least 4-5 NHL’ers from the last 3 drafts. Which is not too bad since we had only 5 picks in the first 3 rounds over 3 years.

What effect did Pryor have on it? 🤷‍♂️

• Haha
Reactions: SEALBound

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
It's a tough call, honestly. He definitely got biased blowback because he was hired only because his father was hired only because he's buddies with Hextall. But that being said, I don't know that you can say his drafting was a "catastrophe." Mediocre, maybe? TBD is probably the best description just based on development timeframe.

The position the Pens have been in regarding their draft has also been a tad bit of an obstacle.
What's changed since? Dubas hired all of his mates and then Sullivan hired his best mate and went out and signed and traded for fellow Massholes.

Massive chowdah circle jerk. I don't even hate Hextall (didn't before) or have any animosity towards him, if anything, I feel bad for him having taken the job and trying to fix a team that a dipshit coach was never intending to use correctly.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

He was only here for 3 drafts.

We had 2 1st round picks and they weren't really home run area.

Pickering is trending to be an NHLer which is all you can ask two years out from a 20+ 1st.

Yager looks like he could potentially be an impact top six forward which is great for a 14th overall 1st.

Illyin, Murashov, and Howe are also great depth picks.

The drafts over the last few years parallel the work he did in Philadelphia.

No home runs per say, but lots of NHLers regardless of where the 1st was taken and a few depth guys in the later rounds.

Wouldn't say he's an A+ scouting guy, but should be good enough to help a contender.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Pickering is trending to be an NHLer which is all you can ask two years out from a 20+ 1st.
Is he? Not super thrilled with him putting up almost the exact same point totals two seasons in a row. He should be dominating the WHL as a first rounder at his age and it doesn't appear that he did this past season.

Reactions: Andy99

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
He is 100% projecting to be an NHLer.
I hope so.

I freely admit I'm purely stat watching and relying on what I hear from others anecdotally but that's all any of us are doing on here so I don't feel guilty about that :laugh:.

I certainly hope that I'm wrong with my poorly informed opinion. I just wish he was putting up gaudier totals than he has. I feel like a 19 year old first rounder should be. But we'll see how he develops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad