Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: We Hayes Dubas's offseason moves so far

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Mario is very much to blame for the current situation. He backed Sully over JR and then hired the disaster known as Ron "weirdo" Hextall.

Mario's response was to cash out and for zee hills. Mario was my one childhood sports hero.......but Mario can get bent.

ThosePuckingPenguins

Apr 28, 2009
Pennsylvania
Mario is very much to blame for the current situation. He backed Sully over JR and then hired the disaster known as Ron "weirdo" Hextall.

Mario's response was to cash out and for zee hills. Mario was my one childhood sports hero.......but Mario can get bent.
I’d argue Mario got pretty lucky with JR too. People forget when JR was hired, he had just ‘retired’ after essentially running the Hurricanes into the ground. It wasn’t a very popular choice at the time. It obviously worked out spectacularly so can’t really criticize it now but I remember audibly groaning when I first heard we hired JR as GM.

Mario was very much in the hire friends and family stage towards the end of his ownership.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Stan Bowman is only even in the position to be an NHL GM or really anything at all outside of a like... coked up used car salesman for one reason and one reason only. Take a wild guess as to what that is.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Unsurprising but always disappointing.

-edit- Also, I mean, Mario praised convicted rapist Billy Tibbetts for his "great story of overcoming adversity" so, y'know. This franchise has it's own skeletons.

Last edited:

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I’d argue Mario got pretty lucky with JR too. People forget when JR was hired, he had just ‘retired’ after essentially running the Hurricanes into the ground. It wasn’t a very popular choice at the time. It obviously worked out spectacularly so can’t really criticize it now but I remember audibly groaning when I first heard we hired JR as GM.

Mario was very much in the hire friends and family stage towards the end of his ownership.
True…. But a jr was a genius when compared to hextall. I also believe he would have fired sully if had support from ownership

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Unsurprising but always disappointing.

-edit- Also, I mean, Mario praised convicted rapist Billy Tibbetts for his "great story of overcoming adversity" so, y'know. This franchise has it's own skeletons.

Mario has worse skellies than that.

But frankly they don't compare to Bowman and co. depravity.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Well, no matter what you think of the current capabilities of Penguins ownership and management, at least they're not hiring Stan Bowman like the Oilers are.

Not only should Bowman not have a job in hockey for moral/ethical reasons, but he did a pretty piss poor job in Chicago after Dale Tallon built the foundation.

I'm not defending Bowman's character, but wasn't he the one who made the decision to trade Byfluyn (can't remember how to spell his name lol) after their 1st Cup?

Goodleaf

Love a good stick.
Nov 15, 2010
I'm not defending Bowman's character, but wasn't he the one who made the decision to trade Byfluyn (can't remember how to spell his name lol) after their 1st Cup?
I thought Buff was one of the cap casualties after the Chicago fax machine debacle led to them getting into serious cap trouble.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I look forward to the inevitable influx of articles from the NHL media drones as to how Bowman deserves this chance to become an inspirational case of overcoming obstacles.

"Who are WE to deny a repulsive man who was never all that good at his job but has the right last name a second... third... or even fourth chance? Let those who HAVEN'T participated in the aiding and abetting of a sexual predator cast the first stone!"

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Hockey wise— without the Beach scandal, Bowman wasn’t a good GM. He was pretty terrible.

Why even invite the backlash for a guy with such a poor track record?

Like if CBJ hired Quenneville, even if I don’t agree and wouldn’t do so myself, I can start to wrap my head around why you’d maybe deal with the PR nightmare because he was a legit coach and you think he can make a real difference. (Again- not saying they should have or JQ is deserving or not)

Bowman sucked. If Beach never happened- How could you think he’s the guy in the first place.

Since Beach did happen- How could you ever hire this guy? Was bad at hockey part of his job and was party to massive scandal! Just nuts.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
Why even invite the backlash for a guy with such a poor track record?

Because NHL front offices are, to a man, lacking of any type of creative thinking and more insular than an ivy league secret society.

I also think they probably don't know how to change numbers in their phones so they just keep hiring the same dudes they already have in the contact list.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Because NHL front offices are, to a man, lacking of any type of creative thinking and more insular than an ivy league secret society.

I also think they probably don't know how to change numbers in their phones so they just keep hiring the same dudes they already have in the contact list.

The NHL is the type of league that would hire a convicted war criminal because he is a former player, son of a famous executive and tangentially associated with one Stanley Cup win like 25 years ago.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
They will dismiss this because something something the writer doesn't know what they are talking about.
I didn't read the article (no access), but usually it's really too subjective. Maybe Jarry isn't the answer, but we have some decent future possibilities. We did revitalize Ned,

I agree that Mario "quick hired" Hextall. According to JR, it was his mental state and Covid, but who knows for sure. I would be surprised he would knee jerk quit over a single Sully battle.

Beyond that...
No matter the original motivation to "saved the Penguins", ultimately he took quite a bit of financial risk, and made it work. So he cashed out...that's his prerogative. I don't blame him at all. This is business.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I don't really feel too much of one way or the other about the Lemieux Group's ownership years. Some great years... some really bad years.

I will say it's a bit off-putting going from him being everywhere all the time around the team to a ghost, though. Understandable and even necessary in most ways but still.

Reactions: Coastal Kev

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Yohe is a spin DR just to get clicks but y'all keep reading him

I personally know some of Smiths family and he had no issues being here but yall keep playing that narrative that you read on twitter.

Let me put something out there for you, not all players are outspoken. Some just put their head down and do their thing.

Not everything yall think you see is the truth. "Geno is skating slow tonite, he must not care anymore"

Last edited:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

I personally know some of Smiths family and he had no issues being here but yall keep playing that narrative that you read on twitter.

Let me put something out there for you, not all players are outspoken. Some just put their head down and do their thing.

Not everything yall think you see is the truth. "Geno is skating slow tonite, he must not care anymore"

Speaking for myself... didn't like much of anything Smith did here outside of the first like month of the season. And he just seemed... a little off. Like dude's body language was pretty poor. Then again I would have been pretty disappointed going from Vegas to this clownshow, too. And what does that even mean anyway? Like... maybe he's just kind of a quiet, awkward guy that was half checked out because he got here and immediately realized this team wasn't serious at all.

All that said if anyone actually wants to buy in to what Josh Yohe is peddling that's on them. In most ways he's probably the worst of a decidedly awful bunch.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I don't really feel too much of one way or the other about the Lemieux Group's ownership years. Some great years... some really bad years.

I will say it's a bit off-putting going from him being everywhere all the time around the team to a ghost, though. Understandable and even necessary in most ways but still.
It's becoming pretty clear that the "smart" execs, coaches, etc. are all guys who got lucky from time to time. :laugh:

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
It's becoming pretty clear that the "smart" execs, coaches, etc. are all guys who got lucky from time to time. :laugh:

Appeals to authority rarely gain much traction with me. But within the context of talking about the NHL they are downright hilarious. You might as well just put on the clown makeup and big red nose if you're gonna bust out the good ol fashioned "Well I suppose YOU know better than an NHL coach/GM huh?!?"

A brain damaged golden retriever with a Magic 8 Ball probably gets the same results.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015

Smith should have seen more time with Sid imo. The OG Vegas line all played similar to how Sid plays, and yet he was rarely played with Sid at all. Smith’s early success with Geno and Raks probably caused that.

Same shit that happened with Zucker. At least Zucker started with Sid, had a two goal game and still got pushed down.

Tells me it’s our dumbass coach thinking he knows all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad