Around the League Thread | Ixnay on Zerplanyay

Status
Not open for further replies.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Bowman thought it was a good idea to trade for Jones when Keith left that same off-season to EDM via trade, and Kane/Toews were down to the final 2 years with Toews missing all of the covid shortened year with an illness. Not really the same guy coming back. That group's run was over and Not sure DCate/Dach were the guys to lead them back. I mean, most of their prospects going back to their last cup win in 2015 had not done much aside from DCat.

Is that the kind of decision making you want?
i think bowman inherited a core and as a gm did reasonably well complimenting it and holding it together in a cap stretched situation (arguably partly of his making due to his qualifying offer fiasco as an agm) but there really is not a sustained level of gm excellence in terms of trades and moves, and what he did is feed a machine he did not create.

i do think though that the persona and ethos of the hawks of that era was absolutely ruthlessly focussed on winning and that obviously contributed to their success. i think bowman to some degree brought that and applied a version of his dad's attitude. i think it complimented guys like keith and kane who were almost faustian in their outlook on winning and who i believe carried toews and seabrook and others along with them.

i also suspect that is exactly what the oilers want from bowman. install the ruthless win at all costs attitude that bowmans are famous for. it is what they have been reaching for.

and i also think that what the oilers want from bowman contributed to the way the hawks handled aldrich. not only the timing of it but in the general approach of unsentimentally discarding and excising any weakness in the organization and protecting the team. they took care of themselves.

so there is, in my mind, an irony in the oilers seeking from bowman exactly the kind of attitude and approach that led to the hawks unleashing aldrich on kids.

i guess they really really want to win a cup.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
The price of seeing your team winning a cup is worth selling your soul to the devil. We would all do horrible things to see it happen...

I personally would put ketchup on my scrambled eggs and drink Folgers coffee!

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
For sure, Tanking is no guarantee, not with the lottery system. Wings got no lottery luck, thus were never in a position to draft a high offensive C. They didn't make any big splashes in 21 off season which was the last one before Raymond/Seider arrived. Unless they got to the top 3 to get Beniers (he tops out at a 2C, which maybe Kasper or Danielsson reach as well) in 2021 or Cooley (has the potential to match or even surpass Larkin production) in 2022, not sure they could do any better than Edvinsson and Kasper. 23, would be hard to drop down that badly from the 80 points they got to 60 or less which the bottom 4 earned that season.

Yes, they weren't lucky with the lottery, nor were they bad enough to fully game that system. Still, Yzerman hit the ground running with Seider and Raymond. Perhaps Eklund helps them more than Edvinsson, but the draft was less of an issue than Yzerman's own impatience. He accelerated the plan knowing he had to draft his top end talent. Contrast that with Rutherford, who was walking into an organization that had already drafted elite talent 3 and 4 years ago respectively. It was a completely different environment.

The Yzerplan should have been about position agnostic ceiling bets at the top of the draft coupled with roster angling for a 1C.. Instead, he played it safe at the draft, or prioritized position, and then never found a 1C to complement Larkin. Market pressure did the rest.

Last edited:
Reactions: BimJenning

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Like one didn't another reason to dislike the Oilers. Watch HNIC continue to fellate the Coilers. Media darlings those POS organization.

Friedman: 4 Tweets
Servalli: 1 Tweet

Neither makes a single mention of Kyle Beach, John Doe 2, Brad Aldrich, the Notre Dame victim, or the scandal.

Hockey Insiders are paid shills. They won't do or say anything that risks their precious inside access.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Neither makes a single mention of Kyle Beach, John Doe 2, Brad Aldrich, the Notre Dame victim, or the scandal.

Hockey Insiders are paid shills. They won't do or say anything that risks their precious inside access.

Not to defend Friedman but where are you getting 4 tweets from? I see two and one of them is a link to the press conference.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

There are two types of media members : reporters and 'insiders'.

Reporters provide the public with the information the teams/league don't want them to hear.

Insiders are part of the system and exist solely to provide the information/narrative to the fans that the teams/league want out there.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Reporters provide the public with the information the teams/league don't want them to hear.

Insiders are part of the system and exist solely to provide the information/narrative to the fans that the teams/league want out there.
True that. Which is why Insiders should never say they are journalists. They are media personnel or some other title like that.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Here's the easy explainer.

Rick Westhead | Reporter

Darren Dreger | Insider

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Seravelli is a sack of shit, so him slurping this Stan Bowman story is right up his fat ass.

And no, I don’t apologize to what I say about that man. Seravelli is what’s wrong with the NHL and protecting their ‘boys’.

Reactions: Zombotron

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Here's the easy explainer.

Rick Westhead | Reporter

Darren Dreger | Insider

Just in this market, guys like Botchford and Jeff Patterson were/are actual 'reporters' who are trying to find information and stories for their consumers and not just putting on Canucks-approved stuff. Tony Gallagher was a reporter.

But they're fewer and farther in between and so many more guys just track toward being IMacs and Dhaliwals.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Just in this market, guys like Botchford and Jeff Patterson were/are actual 'reporters' who are trying to find information and stories for their consumers and not just putting on Canucks-approved stuff. Tony Gallagher was a reporter.

But they're fewer and farther in between and so many more guys just track toward being IMacs and Dhaliwals.

It is quite a bit harder for local guys since the team can, and has, cut off access.

I will give a shout out to Patrick Johnston who does a good job of reporting on the Canucks.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Not to defend Friedman but where are you getting 4 tweets from? I see two and one of them is a link to the press conference.

I swear there was 4, but I now just see three - one Tweet reporting he was going to Edmonton, another with a link to the presser, and another re-tweeting a release.

So, 3...all three with opportunities to say something. And all three with bupkis.

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
Still blows my mind that Gillis, after taking over a team that missed the playoffs, was black listed from the league after 2 president's trophies, 5 division titles, playoffs in 5 of 6 years, and a run to game 7 of the finals.

All because he's a bit prickly to deal with on the media side, and probably demanded a lot from ownership in order to get results/run the ship his way.

Meanwhile a guy who helped cover up a sexual assault gets his ass re-hired immediately after his suspension is done. Unreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad