Speculation: Fire Rob Blake Blow it Up Offseason Thread (update: Robitaille, Blake and Hiller stay)

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Pavelski is a 7th round pick that had a HoF level career & was an effective player until almost 40 because he practices those his reactions & eye hand coordination all the time. It's the kids seeing the work ethic & what it takes to hit the top level in the NHL. Who cares about a coach explaining how to properly tip a puck. Seeing & replicating the level of work is what's important.

If the King's have a coach that focuses on net front he should be fired immediately. I watched King's games last year. :laugh:

Hmmmm...kinda sounds lke Kopitar......maybe I'm wrong....

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Todd is on the books for $5.5M next season. That’s Matt Roy money. So even if Pavelski wants a part time job as a skills coach, and he’s willing to accept a nominal wage. Do you really want a guy who was a key choke artist from the all time loser Sharks team we reversed swept for one of our cups? It’s born loser thinking. Just like hiring Todd for too much money and then doubling down on that bet just before the dealer hits 21 on the last card.
Thanks for some constructive criticism! You don't like Pavelski, that's fine. Never had a problem with him personally. Had a problem when King's refused to tie him up in front of the net.

I'd like Byfield to develop & work on posting up in the paint. As he fills out 55 will be hard to control in front of the net. Selling my soul & even hiring an ex Shark, Star to get Byfield going is fine by me. Understand why some would be adverse.
Why would Pavelski want to come here and why would we want him

What’s Getzlaf and the Sedins up to while we’re at it
Didn't Joe play his rookie year with Blake? Can't quite remember. Plus, everyone knows So. Cal is hella better than the cold North.

Hmmmm...kinda sounds lke Kopitar......maybe I'm wrong....
Absolutely last thing Byfield needs is to be chained to the half wall like Kopi. Hopefully 55 will develop a bit of a mean streak & not win a Lady Byng.

Reactions: SaltyElkHunter

FrozenKing18

Where is my super suit?
Aug 11, 2009
SoCal
Absolutely last thing Byfield needs is to be chained to the half wall like Kopi. Hopefully 55 will develop a bit of a mean streak & not win a Lady Byng.
Pretty sure he has that mean streak already.

There's also another one I can't find where Pietrangelo was holding onto his stick after a Kings goal, and Byfield shoved him and sat his ass down.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Thanks for some constructive criticism! You don't like Pavelski, that's fine. Never had a problem with him personally. Had a problem when King's refused to tie him up in front of the net.

I'd like Byfield to develop & work on posting up in the paint. As he fills out 55 will be hard to control in front of the net. Selling my soul & even hiring an ex Shark, Star to get Byfield going is fine by me. Understand why some would be adverse.

Didn't Joe play his rookie year with Blake? Can't quite remember. Plus, everyone knows So. Cal is hella better than the cold North.

Well sure, I mean Pavelski's 144 more minutes total in his career, that SCREAMS...mean streak.....

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA
Pretty sure he has that mean streak already.

There's also another one I can't find where Pietrangelo was holding onto his stick after a Kings goal, and Byfield shoved him and sat his ass down.

That Pietrangelo situation was awesome - I remember being fired up when I saw that.

Byfield definitely has a little more of an edge to his game than people give him credit for - we started to see that a bit more regularly last season and I'm sure we'll see it more regularly moving forward as he continues to build strength and confidence. He may never be a 'mean' / 'tough' player or a pest to play against but it at least looks like he's definitely not afraid to mix it up a little bit when he needs to.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
That Pietrangelo situation was awesome - I remember being fired up when I saw that.

Byfield definitely has a little more of an edge to his game than people give him credit for - we started to see that a bit more regularly last season and I'm sure we'll see it more regularly moving forward as he continues to build strength and confidence. He may never be a 'mean' / 'tough' player or a pest to play against but it at least looks like he's definitely not afraid to mix it up a little bit when he needs to.

He's not looking for it, but he's not backing down, and that's nice to see

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
He doesn't look scared in "physical" situations like his first couple of seasons but he's also not looking to have to actually get into anything real with anyone. Of course, you adapt to the culture of your workplace at your first job. If he broke in with a team like Boston, he's probably got a major under his belt by now and definitely more hits. The majority of this team is never looking to get into anything real with anyone, hence the offseason moves.

Will be interesting to see if this team plays an inch or two taller and a few pounds heavier next season.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
He doesn't look scared in "physical" situations like his first couple of seasons but he's also not looking to have to actually get into anything real with anyone. Of course, you adapt to the culture of your workplace at your first job. If he broke in with a team like Boston, he's probably got a major under his belt by now and definitely more hits. The majority of this team is never looking to get into anything real with anyone, hence the offseason moves.

Will be interesting to see if this team plays an inch or two taller and a few pounds heavier next season.
He doesn’t need to try and get into anything, he just needs to not try to avoid it which to be fair seems to be the case. He needs to use his body position, throw a few hits and when needed outmuscle guys. That’s it. If he gets into something along the way that’s fine, but he shouldn’t be looking for it.

Reactions: King'sPawn

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014

We are mostly adverse at the notion of a good player automatically being someone that can coach better than the existing skills coaches. That’s just simply not the case - he might be a great skills coach but there is little evidence to form an informed opinion.

How he conducts himself as a professional is completely irrelevant to that. On that side of things he’s already got a first rate example in Kopitar anyway.

The team he used to play form his playoff record etc is completely irrelevant for a skills coach. If he shows that he is a great skills coach and actually wants to do it then I’d have zero problem if he joined the staff.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
We are mostly adverse at the notion of a good player automatically being someone that can coach better than the existing skills coaches. That’s just simply not the case - he might be a great skills coach but there is little evidence to form an informed opinion.

How he conducts himself as a professional is completely irrelevant to that. On that side of things he’s already got a first rate example in Kopitar anyway.

The team he used to play form his playoff record etc is completely irrelevant for a skills coach. If he shows that he is a great skills coach and actually wants to do it then I’d have zero problem if he joined the staff.
Pavelski is good at tipping the puck. He's one of the best in the league because of all the practice he puts in on that skill.

It is demonstrating to the kids the work required to be one of the best in the NHL that's important & you hope a few of them pick up on.

Then they can work with a skills guy zipping pucks by them after they hopefully got the message. The motivation is the important part, but some here are just ignoring that.

A coach telling a player to do something everyday isn't going to work. A player wanting to improve & working on something everyday is the goal.

Reactions: theMajor

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Pavelski is good at tipping the puck. He's one of the best in the league because of all the practice he puts in on that skill.

It is demonstrating to the kids the work required to be one of the best in the NHL that's important & you hope a few of them pick up on.

Then they can work with a skills guy zipping pucks by them after they hopefully got the message. The motivation is the important part, but some here are just ignoring that.

A coach telling a player to do something everyday isn't going to work. A player wanting to improve & working on something everyday is the goal.
Are we talking about coaching kids… as in 12 year olds?

These are nhl guys and they all work hard at their games these days. You seem to think nobody in the Kings roster sets an example on how to work hard.

We are actually going around in circles. If you want to think none of the guys practice skills using hard work and repetition already then there is nothing I can say here.

Let’s just leave it at that.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021

These are nhl guys and they all work hard at their games these days. You seem to think nobody in the Kings roster sets an example on how to work hard.

We are actually going around in circles. If you want to think none of the guys practice skills using hard work and repetition already then there is nothing I can say here.

I can tell from the on ice results that the net front skills are not being stressed enough on this team. This team also has issues with developing players that is well documented. Coaching needs to be greatly improved.

Edit: Yes, the players work hard to make the NHL. If we expect 55, for example, to become a great player, he needs to greatly increase his effort & not just coast. I have concerns about this group getting the most out of the kids.

Last edited:

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I can tell from the on ice results that the net front skills are not being stressed enough on this team. This team also has issues with developing players that is well documented. Coaching needs to be greatly improved.

Edit: Yes, the players work hard to make the NHL. If we expect 55, for example, to become a great player, he needs to greatly increase his effort & not just coast. I have concerns about this group getting the most out of the kids.

Sorry, we could have Scotty Bowman, and you still wouldn't know WTF you are talking about in terms of ACTUAL coaching....

The fact that you think RESULTS is the end product of coaching tells me all that you know about coaching...here's a hint, it's not about the RESULTS when it comes to actual coaching.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
He doesn’t need to try and get into anything, he just needs to not try to avoid it which to be fair seems to be the case. He needs to use his body position, throw a few hits and when needed outmuscle guys. That’s it. If he gets into something along the way that’s fine, but he shouldn’t be looking for it.
He doesn't need to try and get into anything, although he'd be a better player if he did.

That said, if it finds him then he needs to not shy away from it when it makes sense. Crosby has nine fighting majors in his career. McDavid gets his nose dirty and sometimes concusses guys that his home media accuses of being a dirty player. MacKinnon gets into it etc.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Sorry, we could have Scotty Bowman, and you still wouldn't know WTF you are talking about in terms of ACTUAL coaching....

The fact that you think RESULTS is the end product of coaching tells me all that you know about coaching...here's a hint, it's not about the RESULTS when it comes to actual coaching.
Todd thought that too. Where is he?

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Todd thought that too. Where is he?
Todd’s busy on E*Trade deciding on his investment mix. $5.5M needs to grow at 25% YoY to make up for carrying BLuc’s water for 5.5 years. You know he’s not counting on unemployment insurance.

bland

Jul 1, 2004

I am looking forward to someday soon seeing the Kings as a team instead of a group of individuals with wildly different experience levels, career trajectories and goals. One of the uniting elements is a team that hunts in packs - and is allowed to do so not only by the coach but by the leadership in the room. It's a mentality that has to be adopted by many to work, as we have seen a team that has treated its tougher players as outliers over the past half decade or so. And, their effect was minimal at best.

A team that plays aggressive hockey with a unified passion will always earn patience with its fans. If you know that you are developing something that is going to take a while, that style of hockey is so much easier on the eye than the goddam cowardly 1-3-1 that is trying not to lose rather than trying to win.

And our Kings have been doing their best not to lose for most of the past three years. I would love to see them try to win.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Boy, there some grouchy old bears around here. We're probably better off digging our CRT's out of the garage & watching The Bob Newhart show reruns the rest of the summer.

Guess it's understandable watching the paying to clear space, PL trade, then dumping PL only to get a goalie that lost his starting job last year & Edmundson which is a combined larger cap hit than PL.
😂

Going to say it again because some still don't get it. Blake should use his Sharks connections to bring Pavelski (7th round pick) in to demonstrate the dedication it took him to get to top of the NHL at deflecting pucks in the hope it turns a lightbulb on for one of the kids. This is a no brainer. If you're arguing against it you have a problem with Joe, understandable. Otherwise you're wrong. There's no downside & it might positively impact some players for years to come.

King's veteran players that can teach dedication. Doughty? Nope. Dude discovered the gym around 30. Anyone have those quotes? 😂 Kopitar? Sure, Kopitar can teach hard work, but he's been glued to the half wall for years & isn't very good at the center lane on the PP when he gets lost & ends up there.

My problem with King's coaching, development & whatnot. You may want to skip & I'll probably forget some of it.
Development sucks. The plan for the player, where they play, developing skills they need to make the NHL. They rushed players into league they weren't ready for. They tried to change players games instead of working on skills to get them to the NHL & then rounding things out. Turcotte, Björnfot, Kaliyev, Fagemo. 😂 That draft & the aftermath should get Blake fired alone.

Skill Coaches, Stoll is probably fine. He's good at faceoffs. You can see the lack of effect on the ice. Let's back up a bit. The King's are a blue collar team. They're never going to have top 3-5 player in the NHL. They need to coach & game plan for it. That's fine, Florida found a way, although I'd rate Barkov higher than most. The King's need to play something like Panthers or Sutter hockey to be successful.

I see the lack of skills being used for that type of hockey & cute passes, flybys instead. The lack of the skills going to the net aren't high end skills. It's just a matter of putting the work in & the head coach holding the player's accountable.
Sutter: go to the net. It hasn't changed.

Then the head coach last year was special. Get a speedy, chippy team that should dominate with neutral zone pressure & just sit back in the 131. Just trade all the fast players & get pylons. Did Blake go in a new direction? Nope, got Todd's lackey.

So for coaching, they aren't running the simple, puck on net & get rebound skills & they aren't coaching that from a system perspective either. Putting the puck on net & crashing is how this team is going to be successful. The coaches are dropping the ball on what this type of team needs to be successful.

Coaches are 100% about results. You're job is to improve the players skills or get the most out of the team depending on what type of coach you are. If you consistently fail, you're unemployed. Sometimes they're just too creepy & want to see everyone's pics on their phones. There are player like Vilardi that coaches just can't fix. It's when the coach is failing more often than not it's a problem.

Advice to Blake: go full Magellan. Just burn all the picks so no one can cheer for a tank. 😂

🐻‍❄️ grouchy icebarren!!!!

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal

i'll just add this, if jarret stoll can stick around as long as he has as a skills coach, there is absolutely no reason on earth that pavelski wouldnt be able to do it and contribute the same if not more. cup wins as a player shouldnt be a barometer for how well someone can translate their knowledge as an ex player, certainly not with someone as experienced as pavelski. im SURE he would have myriad options to choose from if he wanted to be a skills coach in the nhl

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
i'll just add this, if jarret stoll can stick around as long as he has as a skills coach, there is absolutely no reason on earth that pavelski wouldnt be able to do it and contribute the same if not more. cup wins as a player shouldnt be a barometer for how well someone can translate their knowledge as an ex player, certainly not with someone as experienced as pavelski. im SURE he would have myriad options to choose from if he wanted to be a skills coach in the nhl
IF he can coach. He might suck at it for all we know… assuming he even wanted it. Stoll, it is well documented, is good at teaching face-offs. He helped guys when he was still playing so bring him in was sensible and a natural move.

The idea that we need him to show the effort it takes to be good at something by doing repetitive drills is borderline hysterical. They get taught that as young children. The prospects are surrounded by guys that do that and they all spend the off season working on stuff. There isn’t an issue with skills specifically, there are areas guys need to improve and they are doing so. We scored plenty of tip ins the last few seasons, when the team had strong net coverage.

If there is an issue it’s with usage, deployment and pathway. Are players being blocked? Are we putting round pegs into the wrong holes? System?

If they think someone like Pavelski can complement the current group or even upgrade the staff, great I have no problem. I don’t care how many cup wins he had, who he played for. I’m just questioning the view of:

1. We (including the players) don’t already teach and work on that stuff.
2. There aren’t already examples of the dedication it takes to succeed and improve.
3. That just because he (any player) was good at something as a player he’d therefore be good at teaching it. He’s far more likely not going to good at it, but I also acknowledge he could also become the best coach hockey has ever seen. I’m open to possibilities, not to flawed assumptions. Therefore it isn’t a ‘no-brainer’ as was stated.

Anyway, I have nothing to add. People either get it or they don’t…

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
IF he can coach. He might suck at it for all we know… assuming he even wanted it. Stoll, it is well documented, is good at teaching face-offs. He helped guys when he was still playing so bring him in was sensible and a natural move.

The idea that we need him to show the effort it takes to be good at something by doing repetitive drills is borderline hysterical. They get taught that as young children. The prospects are surrounded by guys that do that and they all spend the off season working on stuff. There isn’t an issue with skills specifically, there are areas guys need to improve and they are doing so. We scored plenty of tip ins the last few seasons, when the team had strong net coverage.

If there is an issue it’s with usage, deployment and pathway. Are players being blocked? Are we putting round pegs into the wrong holes? System?

If they think someone like Pavelski can complement the current group or even upgrade the staff, great I have no problem. I don’t care how many cup wins he had, who he played for. I’m just questioning the view of:

1. We (including the players) don’t already teach and work on that stuff.
2. There aren’t already examples of the dedication it takes to succeed and improve.
3. That just because he (any player) was good at something as a player he’d therefore be good at teaching it. He’s far more likely not going to good at it, but I also acknowledge he could also become the best coach hockey has ever seen. I’m open to possibilities, not to flawed assumptions. Therefore it isn’t a ‘no-brainer’ as was stated.

Anyway, I have nothing to add. People either get it or they don’t…

They don't get it its been shown time and time again

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad