Around the League

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

jaster

My dog from Belgium came with frites.
Jun 8, 2007
Just horrific. Condolences to the family, especially his kids and wife.

This seems like speculation of a tragedy. I wouldn't trust Reddit as a source. For deaths, we really should wait for official reports. Not attacking you, as I know people get overzealous and like to share rumors, but this sensitive topic should have some form of decorum.

ASP: Fair enough. I'll edit it.
This was actually reported by the Columbus Dispatch, via quotes from the police. I’ll get the link…..

Columbus Blue Jackets' Johnny Gaudreau killed in NJ crash involving suspected drunk driver

Sean Higgins, the driver, was suspected of being under the influence of alcohol, and police charged him with two counts of death by auto and took him to the Salem County Correctional Facility. Authorities have not said when Higgins will make his initial court appearance.

According to New Jersey State Police, Higgins, 43, from Woodstown, New Jersey, was traveling north on a county road in a Jeep Grand Cherokee behind a sedan and SUV around 8:20 p.m. on Thursday evening.

Higgins tried to pass the slower-moving sedan and SUV, entered the southbound lanes, passed the slower-moving sedan, and tried to re-enter the northbound lanes, state troopers said. The SUV in front of Higgins moved to the middle of the roadway, splitting the north and south lanes to safely pass the Gaudreau brothers traveling north on the right side of the roadway.

Higgins then tried to pass the SUV on the right and struck the two bicyclists in the rear, the highway patrol said. As a result of the collision, the brothers suffered fatal injuries.

Last edited:

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
Just horrific. Condolences to the family, especially his kids and wife.

This was actually reported by the Columbus Dispatch, via quotes from the police. I’ll get the link…..

Columbus Blue Jackets' Johnny Gaudreau killed in NJ crash involving suspected drunk driver

Thanks Jaster.

Point well taken, Konnan.

Reiterating my point.

Do not drive drunk. It's not legal, it's not safe, and if you've made it home driving drunk, you're lucky, not skilled.

Do not pass on the right if someone is sliding to the left. It's not legal, it's not safe, and they're probably doing it because of something you can't see.

You're driving a 2-4000 pound machine easily capable of causing severe damage or death. Act like it.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Another Blue Jacket tragedy. This hurts as well because Johnny Hockey had a sort of pioneer effect for smaller skilled players succeeding in today's NHL. Watching him come up and immediately be an impact NHL player was awesome considering he was a 4th round pick too.

Unspeakable tragedy. I'm sitting here at work today just going through the motions and even though it isn't my family, I feel that hurt because hockey really hits home. I can't imagine the entire family's sorrow after all of this.

Rest In Power, Johnny and Matthew. Stick handle with the greats up there.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Just proves you can go at anytime no matter what you are doing or whatever age. Shameful that we have such light laws in NA for drunk drivers, which is why so many people take it casually with regards to risking driving while under the influence.

My mom works for a lady that just had a friend come here from Australia. The lady asked him where he was going, he said to the bar to pick up his car. Person from here asked why, and he said he walked home cause he had 1 beer. Where he is from the rules are so strict if you are caught driving with any alcohol in your system you can get serious jail time and you definitely lose your license for life after just 1 time doing so. He said it is common where he is from, that people go drinking and just walk home or instantly get others to drive them home, cause it isn't worth the risk of losing your license after even 1 drink.

Maybe, if we treated it more serious here, there would be far less who think they should risk it.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Honestly I had no particular feelings about Johnny Gaudreau as a hockey player but reading the news this morning felt like a punch to the chest. What a senseless tragedy and devastating loss for their family.
This one has been pretty tough to process. These are always pretty miserable, but him having two young kids, dying with his best friend and brother who also has a baby on the way, on the eve of their sister's wedding. The needlessness of it, the cruelty of it, the negligence of how it happened. I just have been sitting on this now for over 36 hours when it was leaking late on Thursday night/Friday morning, the confirmed announcement yesterday morning, into this morning.

Just incredibly sad about it, feel especially for his family and loved ones. Also feel for his big NHL family, he was a very popular player because of the genuine person he was, a bunch of guys looked up to him as a small player that inspired them. You never really saw him without a smile, it seemed like he knew he beat the odds and just how good he was. Just gutted, I could see this hanging over a few camps around the league. Matthew has a bunch of similar reports coming out, just hurts to see something this bad happen to by all accounts good people.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Man. That sucks. I would have loved having Quinn Hughes here… even had he not turned into a PPG D and the clear pick. That was the fish in a barrel pick for Detroit to make
Usually draft talk and the aftermath is what lands people on my ignore list. However, I remember the consensus arguments in that draft year being wether we should take Hughes, Dobson or Bouchard, with a sprinkle of Boquist or Wahlstrom thrown in. My god it chaps my ass to the bone WE were so right and Holland was so wrong.

I feel that draft had the biggest ripple effect on the current state of the team.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
I don't know how you buil a team around 2 guys making $30m. I know the cap is going up and all but that just eats up so much of your cap space that your depth has to take a hit. At that price, I would have probably shopped Draisaitl to at least see what was out there.
Yeah those are numbers you want to pay when you've won cups already.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Matthews is on $13.25 and he's only on a 4 year deal so the cap rising factors in less and Draisaitl is better and actually produces in the Playoffs

the Leafs set the bar for everyone and honestly Draisaitl could have realistically asked for 15 if he wanted

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
McDavid gonna want at least 16.
And McDavid has two years left on his deal. He can (and probably should) wait for as many chances as possible for other players to set the bar even higher.

I have no idea how the Oilers will survive this long term. If they keep both stars they'll need half their roster from the AHL.

Reactions: SoupNazi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad