Around the League

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Matthews is on $13.25 and he's only on a 4 year deal so the cap rising factors in less and Draisaitl is better and actually produces in the Playoffs

the Leafs set the bar for everyone and honestly Draisaitl could have realistically asked for 15 if he wanted

another player on a team I'd be surprised to see win it all in the near future. I'm not begrudging Draisaitl his money. If he wants it and can pull it, it's hard to say he shouldn't take it. But that also affects the ability to put a good team around you.

Reactions: SoupNazi

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
another player on a team I'd be surprised to see win it all in the near future. I'm not begrudging Draisaitl his money. If he wants it and can pull it, it's hard to say he shouldn't take it. But that also affects the ability to put a good team around you.
It's not Drai or Matthew's fault that $20M is being spent on Nurse and Tavares.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
For people saying how bad the Drai deal is, dont forget we pay the same amount yearly for the trio of Copp, Holl and Rasmussen.

well, technically those three are around $12m, not $14m. But it is what the cap hits for Debrincat, Kane, Rasmussen add up to.

It's not Drai or Matthew's fault that $20M is being spent on Nurse and Tavares.

No team is spending $20m on them, but they just further illustrate the issue with paying a premium for everyone. You get top heavy, and it hurts your ability to sign depth.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
well, technically those three are around $12m, not $14m. But it is what the cap hits for Debrincat, Kane, Rasmussen add up to.

No team is spending $20m on them, but they just further illustrate the issue with paying a premium for everyone. You get top heavy, and it hurts your ability to sign depth.
There is plenty of money to sign depth. The Oilers and Leafs are just spending stupid money on stupid contracts rather than quality depth. Drai and Matthews' deals aren't the problem. Nurse and Tavares' deals are. So you can't say it's bad to have really good players making big money. The importance is also on having good players on value contracts as well.

Reactions: RED WINGS STOMP

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Edmonton has 1-year window. This Draisaitl deal will start after next season. And they also have to extend Bouchard. And can't get rid of Nurse.

After extending also Bouchard their cap hell grows impossible to keep together a great team. I could even predict McDavid walks away, if he will understand the the math, what his oncoming contract will do.

That would be fun thing to see all those Edmonton guys without McDavid padding their stats.

Btw,

The cap growth was 5.4% from last season. 14M deal for Draisaitl at summer of 2025 would be equal to 13.28M at this summer.

Reactions: Winger98

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
And McDavid has two years left on his deal. He can (and probably should) wait for as many chances as possible for other players to set the bar even higher.

I have no idea how the Oilers will survive this long term. If they keep both stars they'll need half their roster from the AHL.

Toronto West.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
There is plenty of money to sign depth. The Oilers and Leafs are just spending stupid money on stupid contracts rather than quality depth. Drai and Matthews' deals aren't the problem. Nurse and Tavares' deals are. So you can't say it's bad to have really good players making big money. The importance is also on having good players on value contracts as well.

Except there isn't. Even if you magically poof Nurse's contract away, how much would it cost to replace him? I'm thinking at least $6m, probably over seven. Which saves you two million...but so does Draisaitl leaving some money on the table. And so would McDavid leaving something on the table. Bouchard leaving something on the table would help. Etc.

But they don't appear to be. The only guy in Edmonton who maybe did was RNH but no one followed suit. Maybe they can LTIR massage the cap enough to get the depth they need, but they are more likely having to wait for the cap to keep going up to give them the flexibility to sign good players.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Except there isn't. Even if you magically poof Nurse's contract away, how much would it cost to replace him? I'm thinking at least $6m, probably over seven. Which saves you two million...but so does Draisaitl leaving some money on the table. And so would McDavid leaving something on the table. Bouchard leaving something on the table would help. Etc.

But they don't appear to be. The only guy in Edmonton who maybe did was RNH but no one followed suit. Maybe they can LTIR massage the cap enough to get the depth they need, but they are more likely having to wait for the cap to keep going up to give them the flexibility to sign good players.
Are you wanting to replace what they hoped Nurse would be or what he is? You can get a solid full 2nd pairing for $9.5M. Or a full 3rd line.

And leaving something on the table is well good and dandy to say, but once you got guys taking several mil more than they're worth, all bets are off. There is no "lets all take less as a team, so we can win!" if there are guys most definitely not bought in. Doubly so when a team is more than willing to ship you off when your presence is no longer convenient for them. NMC/NTCs should come with a monetary penalty if the team ever approaches them asking them to waive it. And I'd be down for the inverse. A player with a NTC/NMC has to cough some cash up when asking for a trade.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

It's also crazy, if you buy Nurse out for rest of the deal, you will have 8-9M caphit penalty for 4 years during McDavid/Draisaitl prime.

He would cost the same, and when you add the replacement player, it will cost even more than Nurse currently will cost.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
It's also crazy, if you buy Nurse out for rest of the deal, you will have 8-9M caphit penalty for 4 years during McDavid/Draisaitl prime.

He would cost the same, and when you add the replacement player, it will cost even more than Nurse currently will cost.
Unless you have no intention to be competitive during the duration of a buyout, a buyout is almost always the worst way to move a contract off the books.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Are you wanting to replace what they hoped Nurse would be or what he is? You can get a solid full 2nd pairing for $9.5M. Or a full 3rd line.

And leaving something on the table is well good and dandy to say, but once you got guys taking several mil more than they're worth, all bets are off. There is no "lets all take less as a team, so we can win!" if there are guys most definitely not bought in. Doubly so when a team is more than willing to ship you off when your presence is no longer convenient for them. NMC/NTCs should come with a monetary penalty if the team ever approaches them asking them to waive it. And I'd be down for the inverse. A player with a NTC/NMC has to cough some cash up when asking for a trade.

Pretty much, at which point the team has to make a choice when it has a guy like Draisaitl coming up for a massive pay day. They sign him, the cap is going to be a massive issue and they're going to have a very difficult time building around them until the cap grows to the point where they are given space again. Or they explore dealing him.

Considering they don't seem to have much coming up through the system, they've had a hard time getting UFA (who don't have some issue limiting their appeal - Kane) at good deals, and that St. Louis just took two of the young pieces they did have that should have been cost controlled...Edmonton is in a bad place going forward.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
for all the talk about depth Toronto's biggest problem is that their stars don't produce in the Playoffs

that isn't an issue with Draisaitl(or McDavid)

Edmonton has more in common with something like Pittsburgh once they actually had to pay Crosby/Malkin

in 2009-10 the first year they were both playing under their new deals Crosby and Malkin took up 30.4% of the cap, right now if Draisaitl/McDavid were at a combined $30m it would be 34% of the cap but with a couple more years of increases it'll probably be more like 32% or so

ironically it was mostly the goaltending letting Pittsburgh down in the Playoffs those years which I imagine will be another thing they share with Edmonton

Reactions: Winger98

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
for all the talk about depth Toronto's biggest problem is that their stars don't produce in the Playoffs

that isn't an issue with Draisaitl(or McDavid)

Edmonton has more in common with something like Pittsburgh once they actually had to pay Crosby/Malkin

in 2009-10 the first year they were both playing under their new deals Crosby and Malkin took up 30.4% of the cap, right now if Draisaitl/McDavid were at a combined $30m it would be 34% of the cap but with a couple more years of increases it'll probably be more like 32% or so

ironically it was mostly the goaltending letting Pittsburgh down in the Playoffs those years which I imagine will be another thing they share with Edmonton

Pittsburgh was exactly who I had in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad