Speculation: Fire Rob Blake Blow it Up Offseason Thread (update: Robitaille, Blake and Hiller stay)

MonkeysUncle

May 31, 2024
San Diego County
IF he can coach. He might suck at it for all we know… assuming he even wanted it. Stoll, it is well documented, is good at teaching face-offs. He helped guys when he was still playing so bring him in was sensible and a natural move.

The idea that we need him to show the effort it takes to be good at something by doing repetitive drills is borderline hysterical. They get taught that as young children. The prospects are surrounded by guys that do that and they all spend the off season working on stuff. There isn’t an issue with skills specifically, there are areas guys need to improve and they are doing so. We scored plenty of tip ins the last few seasons, when the team had strong net coverage.

If there is an issue it’s with usage, deployment and pathway. Are players being blocked? Are we putting round pegs into the wrong holes? System?

If they think someone like Pavelski can complement the current group or even upgrade the staff, great I have no problem. I don’t care how many cup wins he had, who he played for. I’m just questioning the view of:

1. We (including the players) don’t already teach and work on that stuff.
2. There aren’t already examples of the dedication it takes to succeed and improve.
3. That just because he (any player) was good at something as a player he’d therefore be good at teaching it. He’s far more likely not going to good at it, but I also acknowledge he could also become the best coach hockey has ever seen. I’m open to possibilities, not to flawed assumptions. Therefore it isn’t a ‘no-brainer’ as was stated.

Anyway, I have nothing to add. People either get it or they don’t…
Also, maybe Joe just wants to relax and get away from hockey for a bit or just spend time with family

SaltyElkHunter

I …. am…. The LA Kings!
Apr 24, 2019
Utah
The deeper the hole the team is in, the deeper the navel gaze hardcore fans indulge in. It’s a measure of management’s incompetence to see the state of Kings fans discussions. Even the marketing department is unsure of what to expect next season. Last year it was superior depth down the middle unlocking a deep playoff run.

Anyone keeping score can see how the messaging shifts with the tides. The palace coup started with a promise of keeping draft picks and changing style to an offensive minded team. We see what happened to those picks and how quickly the style has shifted to a team full of snot. And we’re also back to celebrating keeping picks because that is BLuc’s brilliant strategy.

These jokers in charge will change the narrative at every turn that suits their advantage. And their sycophants will work overtime to spin their message to the pathetic fan base who cling to any positive message.

Luc started his explanation for why the Kings are right there by calling out the org’s tagline emblazoned on the wall of the facility. If he’s being honest, they should tear down whatever propaganda they have up and replace it with the truth.

Silver, black and the crown may be the branding by overpaid committee. But the true values of the Robitaille and Blake legacy will be written as Job Security, Nepotism, and Mediocrity.
I’m going to need a cigarette after reading that.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
I am looking forward to someday soon seeing the Kings as a team instead of a group of individuals with wildly different experience levels, career trajectories and goals. One of the uniting elements is a team that hunts in packs - and is allowed to do so not only by the coach but by the leadership in the room. It's a mentality that has to be adopted by many to work, as we have seen a team that has treated its tougher players as outliers over the past half decade or so. And, their effect was minimal at best.

A team that plays aggressive hockey with a unified passion will always earn patience with its fans. If you know that you are developing something that is going to take a while, that style of hockey is so much easier on the eye than the goddam cowardly 1-3-1 that is trying not to lose rather than trying to win.

And our Kings have been doing their best not to lose for most of the past three years. I would love to see them try to win.
Screenshot_20240722_063850_Chrome.jpg

Hey bro,
Make sure to look over your shoulder

Pavillions is planning something sinister

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Nice piece on Dvorak. I think I’d leave him in the WHL to nurture his offensive game.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
All the prospects are going to be nobodies.

Change my mind and save your time.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Completely, respectfully disagree. Reinhart and Stamkos were the top UFAs last year. Both signed in no income tax states. The Kings would have had to pay Reinhart $10mm just to match Florida's offer when you figure in taxes ($8,625,000/(1-.13)). Players are taxed in the state where the game is played- Reinhart plays over half his games on a $0 income tax state. On what planet are the Kings getting Gustav Forsling for the $5.75mm Florida is paying him? Stamkos and Marschesault both went to Nashville after playing in $0 income tax states. Next to the chance to win the Cup, AFTER TAX income is the biggest driver of UFA decisions. That trumps nice weather every single time. Want more proof? Why has no Canadian team won the Cup in 30+ years? Heck, only 1 Canadian-based team has even made the finals in quite a while. In baseball with no salary Cap, the big market teams can offer a lot more money to offset higher taxes. In the NHL with finite dollars to dole out, taxes matter, a lot. Ask yourself. why did Tkachuk want out of hockey-mad Calgary and immediately sign long term in Florida? This is an emerging theme that will increasingly dominate competitiveness in the NHL.
Soon BLuc will be blaming Gavin Newsom for the Kings' failures.

• Wow
Reactions: Lt Dan

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA
Guys when is the Arthur Kaliyev for Oliver Wahlstrom 1 for 1 swap happening?? I've been waiting for months.

Makes sense for both teams IMO - Both players need a change of scenery and both have very similar player profiles. Kaliyev slightly better production to date, Wahlstrom a previous 11th overall pick so maybe a bit more upside. Hell, they're even the same height (6'2)!

Kings get a right shot winger who can score if he fits in well and finds some chemistry with linemates (could also be a dark horse for the PP), Isles get Arthur freaking Kaliyev. Let's get Lou and Blake on the phone and get this thing done already

Lines with big Wahl on the Kings:
Foegele - Kopitar - Kempe
Fiala - Byfield - Wahlstrom
Moore - Danault - Laferriere
Jeannot - Turcotte - Thomas
Ex: Lewis

Let's goooooo

Last edited:

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Guys when is the Arthur Kaliyev for Oliver Wahlstrom 1 for 1 swap happening?? I've been waiting for months.

Makes sense for both teams IMO - Both players need a change of scenery and both have very similar player profiles. Kaliyev slightly better production to date, Wahlstrom a previous 11th overall pick so maybe a bit more upside. Hell, they're even the same height (6'2)!

Kings get a right shot winger who can score if he fits in well and finds some chemistry with linemates (could also be a dark horse for the PP), Isles get Arthur freaking Kaliyev. Let's get Lou and Blake on the phone and get this thing done already

Lines with big Wahl on the Kings:
Foegele - Kopitar - Kempe
Fiala - Byfield - Wahlstrom
Moore - Danault - Laferriere
Jeannot - Turcotte - Thomas
Ex: Lewis

Let's goooooo

Foegle - QB - Fiala

Kempe - Kopi - Laferriere

Moore - Danault - Kaliyev

Jeannot - Turcotte - Lewis

Fagemo - Thomas

MA - DD

Gavri - Spence

Edmu - Clarke

Englund

Huemper - Rittti

MonkeysUncle

May 31, 2024
San Diego County
Foegle - QB - Fiala

Kempe - Kopi - Laferriere

Moore - Danault - Kaliyev

Jeannot - Turcotte - Lewis

Fagemo - Thomas

MA - DD

Gavri - Spence

Edmu - Clarke

Englund

Huemper - Rittti
To start I'd like to see Turcotte on line with Kopi and Kempe, If Kaliyev gone , put Fagemo with Danault, Thomas centers 4th with Laffy on RW.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
To start I'd like to see Turcotte on line with Kopi and Kempe, If Kaliyev gone , put Fagemo with Danault, Thomas centers 4th with Laffy on RW.
Laffy is much stronger on the boards with NHL experience.

Kaliyev needs one more shot before you sell him for a loss.

Turc L4 center between to veterans.

It's gonna be fun seeing who can earn spots where.

MonkeysUncle

May 31, 2024
San Diego County
Laffy is much stronger on the boards with NHL experience.

Kaliyev needs one more shot before you sell him for a loss.

Turc L4 center between to veterans.

It's gonna be fun seeing who can earn spots where.
Yes it will, but the Kaliyev situation is two sided, not sure from his point of view he want to mend fences. Nothing changed when Hiller took over and when Blake stupidly called him out in public, instead of PC answer and drove his value down, not sure Kaliyev will get past that., but who knows. Still want to give Turcotte a shot with Kopi at the start of camp and see what he can do there, if doesn't work well you can always put Laffy there.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Yes it will, but the Kaliyev situation is two sided, not sure from his point of view he want to mend fences. Nothing changed when Hiller took over and when Blake stupidly called him out in public, instead of PC answer and drove his value down, not sure Kaliyev will get past that., but who knows. Still want to give Turcotte a shot with Kopi at the start of camp and see what he can do there, if doesn't work well you can always put Laffy there.
His value was tanked already because his trade request (plus unhappiness) was leaked. It’s probably why they didn’t play him much afterwards.

That stuff (leaks) infuriates me. Look, I understand his frustrations, completely. However IF his camp leaked it (there is no reason the Kings would) then I want him gone. The lack of attention on the leak is, IMO, based on the dislike of BLuc. However it doesn’t screw BLuc, it screws the team/franchise. I feel exactly the same about my other teams. The team is bigger than any player, coach, GM etc… or should be.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
All signs point to no trade market for Kaliyev. I’m ok with Blake not letting him go for nothing. A lot can change between now and December for the team.

The next deadline is training camp. And that’s on the player. But his current upside is higher on a new team. So his hold out leverage increases every day the team sucks and he’s not there.

It’s a matter of a couple of months making a massive difference in an individual’s life. I can see Kaliyev holding out if he thinks a change of scenery can unlock his career.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
All signs point to no trade market for Kaliyev. I’m ok with Blake not letting him go for nothing. A lot can change between now and December for the team.

The next deadline is training camp. And that’s on the player. But his current upside is higher on a new team. So his hold out leverage increases every day the team sucks and he’s not there.

It’s a matter of a couple of months making a massive difference in an individual’s life. I can see Kaliyev holding out if he thinks a change of scenery can unlock his career.
one has to imagine that a conditional trade can be made

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
His value was tanked already because his trade request (plus unhappiness) was leaked. It’s probably why they didn’t play him much afterwards.

That stuff (leaks) infuriates me. Look, I understand his frustrations, completely. However IF his camp leaked it (there is no reason the Kings would) then I want him gone. The lack of attention on the leak is, IMO, based on the dislike of BLuc. However it doesn’t screw BLuc, it screws the team/franchise. I feel exactly the same about my other teams. The team is bigger than any player, coach, GM etc… or should be.

Im pretty pro player on stuff like this

With how the Kings have glass-ceiling'ed their youth's earning potential I don't blame any of them at all for using what meager tools they have available to them to better their own situations.

If I'm him and I'm getting trotted out for 20 seconds on PP 2 and stuck playing 5 ES minutes a game with 4th liners adn the worst d-man in the NHL and STILL putting up top PP metrics you'd better be damn sure I'm making some noise. I've quit jobs over stuff like this--he can't quit.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Im pretty pro player on stuff like this

With how the Kings have glass-ceiling'ed their youth's earning potential I don't blame any of them at all for using what meager tools they have available to them to better their own situations.

If I'm him and I'm getting trotted out for 20 seconds on PP 2 and stuck playing 5 ES minutes a game with 4th liners adn the worst d-man in the NHL and STILL putting up top PP metrics you'd better be damn sure I'm making some noise. I've quit jobs over stuff like this--he can't quit.
I have zero issue with the trade request, it’s the leak I object to because it helps nobody. If he was already established as a big name it might help him, but given where he was at it was never going to help. This was always the likely situation once the leak occurred.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014

He has no leverage. They couldn’t move him for a 4th round pick at the draft (the reported price). So if he holds out it’s a ‘so what’ for the Kings because he holds little value.

His only smart play is to sign , play well and get his value up. Maybe along the way they mend some fences.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad