Speculation: Fire Rob Blake Blow it Up Offseason Thread (update: Robitaille, Blake and Hiller stay)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

You have zero idea if he can't teach what made him successful. What's the downside? Fly the guys family out for a vacation & he shows up for a few days at camp & shows his routine that made him one of the best.

There is a way to find out if it would have an impact. Just do it. Then you know.

LOL whatever, at this point, it feels like you just have a hard on for Pavelski....so, good luck with that.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I will give you that Stoll was unable to teach Vilardi how to win a faceoff or the importance of trying to practice them.

King's made a $30,000,000 investment into 55. Why wouldn't they spend a fraction of that to help improve that investment?

A skill like tipping the puck comes down to having the eye hand coordination & repetition. It's more about the process & putting the work in. 99 teaching or coaching guys how he sees the game isn't going to work because he sees it differently.

Is Byfield going to turn into Pavelski? Nope. Does he have room to improve his game?

What's amazing is there's actually blow back here about bringing in someone to try & help out with work ethic & on ice skills. Can't wait for Blake to trade Mikey + Kaliyev for Laine then fail to re-sign Gavrikov resulting in Edmondson to be the best LD so we have something to actually complain about.
Any coach can run those drills and they almost already do run tip drills. The drill isn’t the important bit, it’s the teaching and the correction that goes with it… the ability to communicate what adjustments need to be made.

Stoll can coach/teach which is why he does it.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
I do ever miss CapFriendly. I know there is something being constructed that someone had linked here recently and there is PuckPedia, it has a few cool things, but the depth isn't there.

Reactions: dman3474

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Any coach can run those drills and they almost already do run tip drills. The drill isn’t the important bit, it’s the teaching and the correction that goes with it… the ability to communicate what adjustments need to be made.

Stoll can coach/teach which is why he does it.
I'd argue that having a guy that extended his career to 38 & was one of the best in the league at net front coming in might have an impact on a couple of the kids. This is what is required to hit the next level & just making the NHL isn't the endgame.

Once motivated, kids can get help elsewhere. It's the motivation needed to continue improving that's important.

Wow, 2 pages on Pavelski.
Didn't think the idea of a skills coach was controversial.
I do ever miss CapFriendly. I know there is something being constructed that someone had linked here recently and there is PuckPedia, it has a few cool things, but the depth isn't there.
Capwage is ok. They're still refining it & take feedback seriously if you send in suggestions.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
CapWages is coming along. It is probably going to take quite a while before it is fully built out and obviously it doesn't update as fast yet, but so far it looks pretty good, or at least going in the right direction.

I like that they have the reserve list players on there and date they must sign by. There's a lot of features they have to build out though, and you can tell it is in it's beta phase and being built from scratch. Goalies don't even have goalie stats :P

Last edited:

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
CapWages is coming a long. It is probably going to take quite a while before it is fully built out and obviously it doesn't update as fast yet, but so far it looks pretty good, or at least going in the right direction. I like that they have the reserve list players on there and date they must sign by. There's a lot of features they have to build out though, and you can tell it is in it's beta phase and being built from scratch. Goalies don't even have goalie stats :P

That's a good feature that CF had as well. Very handy.

Reactions: Johnny Utah

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Why would the Kings respond to Rempe? They'd see him twice a year AT MOST*

*(no Kings and Rangers aren't meeting in the final, pedants)

Reactions: Docgonzo

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Didn't think the idea of a skills coach was controversial
It’s not. It’s the assumption that a)there isn’t one and b)Pavelski is automatically a good one because he was a skilled player.

I mean he might be a great skill coach but it’s actually a pretty big leap.

Reactions: King'sPawn

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
It’s not. It’s the assumption that a)there isn’t one and b)Pavelski is automatically a good one because he was a skilled player.

I mean he might be a great skill coach but it’s actually a pretty big leap.
Pavelski is a 7th round pick that had a HoF level career & was an effective player until almost 40 because he practices those his reactions & eye hand coordination all the time. It's the kids seeing the work ethic & what it takes to hit the top level in the NHL. Who cares about a coach explaining how to properly tip a puck. Seeing & replicating the level of work is what's important.

If the King's have a coach that focuses on net front he should be fired immediately. I watched King's games last year. :laugh:

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Todd is on the books for $5.5M next season. That’s Matt Roy money. So even if Pavelski wants a part time job as a skills coach, and he’s willing to accept a nominal wage. Do you really want a guy who was a key choke artist from the all time loser Sharks team we reversed swept for one of our cups? It’s born loser thinking. Just like hiring Todd for too much money and then doubling down on that bet just before the dealer hits 21 on the last card.

Reactions: FSL KINGS

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Why would Pavelski want to come here and why would we want him

What’s Getzlaf and the Sedins up to while we’re at it

Reactions: Lt Dan

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
What do we think the lines are looking like? I know it won't happen, but I'd like to see Turcotte on Byfield or Danault's wing rather than on the 4th line. Realistically, I think Laferriere gets any top 9 offensive minutes over Turcotte, at least to start the season. I just don't think he's got the hockey IQ that Turcotte has.

Foegele - Kopitar - Kempe
Jeannot - Byfield - Fiala
Moore - Danault - Turcotte
Laferriere - Lewis - Thomas
*Kaliyev

Anderson - Doughty
Gavrikov - Clarke
Edmundson - Spence

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
Can you imagine being the coach who was shooting all those pucks seeing all the comments about how hard Pavelski worked on tip shots? Guy's probably like, "I was there too you know..."

• Haha
Reactions: FSL KINGS

bland

Jul 1, 2004
What do we think the lines are looking like? I know it won't happen, but I'd like to see Turcotte on Byfield or Danault's wing rather than on the 4th line. Realistically, I think Laferriere gets any top 9 offensive minutes over Turcotte, at least to start the season. I just don't think he's got the hockey IQ that Turcotte has.

Foegele - Kopitar - Kempe
Jeannot - Byfield - Fiala
Moore - Danault - Turcotte
Laferriere - Lewis - Thomas
*Kaliyev

Anderson - Doughty
Gavrikov - Clarke
Edmundson - Spence

Can't think of a worse fit on the roster than Foegle and Kopitar, while no better fit than Foegle and Fiala. Foegle is almost entirely a straight line N/S skater who can open up plenty of ice for Fiala to dangle for our delight.

Ideally:

Kaliyev/Fagemo - Kopitar - Kempe
Foegle - Byfield - Fiala
Moore - Danault - Laferriere
Jeannot - Turcotte/Thomas/ Lewis

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Can't think of a worse fit on the roster than Foegle and Kopitar, while no better fit than Foegle and Fiala. Foegle is almost entirely a straight line N/S skater who can open up plenty of ice for Fiala to dangle for our delight.

Ideally:

Kaliyev/Fagemo - Kopitar - Kempe
Foegle - Byfield - Fiala
Moore - Danault - Laferriere
Jeannot - Turcotte/Thomas/ Lewis
To be fair IF Byfield settles quickly at C and the chemistry with Fiala continues to work that could be an exciting line for us. It would definitely be a ‘scoring’ line, that’s for sure. The 2nd winger on the other 2 lines feels less obvious, so pre-season will be fascinating.

It’s entirely possible, IMO that either Thomas or Turcotte get an early look in the top 9. Based on the pp need for a RHS and his audition last year my bet is on Thomas getting the first look. Fagemo I’m betting is the spare forward and I’m discounting Kaliyev until I see him signed and actually included in their plans.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Listening to podcasts and reading into comments this summer.

Laferriere - Kopitar - Kempe
Foegel - Byfield - Fiala
Moore - Danault - Jeannot
Lewis - Turcotte - Thomas
Extra: Fagemo
Kayilev TBD

Both Jeannot and Foegel shoot Left. Fagemo shoots Right. Same with Thomas. Might help their cases to move up and around since Moore and Fiala also shoot L. Kempe shoots L also but plays his off wing, RW.

Anderson - Doughty
Gavrikov - Clarke
Edmundson - Spence

Also, don’t be surprised Spence and Clarke swap spots here. Think Clarke needs more protection and Spence has more experience now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad