Speculation: Fire Rob Blake Blow it Up Offseason Thread (update: Robitaille, Blake and Hiller stay)

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
You know some back asswards shit will happen next season. They’ll start off hot and be #1 in the league by the real thanksgiving. And then they’ll lose in the first round in four games as the 8 seed vs the Oilers. As long as they make the playoffs, some evidence of progress will be conjured up.

Reactions: BaileyFan

killermiller

Kings Fan
Feb 7, 2008
Winnipeg, Manitoba
The thought we are high risk to miss the play-offs is flawed. Obviously it’s possible but…

RV was more or less a non-factor.
PLD is improvement by subtraction.
Lizotte everyone felt should be done here.
Kuemper at worst is probably a wash with Talbot.
Edmundson is probably an upgrade over Edmundson.
We are tougher and have 2 new guys that drive the net (which we lacked).
QB should kick on.

The questions are:
Kopitar and Doughty fall off faster than the young guys improve. Ice time is their biggest issue and a good coach can manage it.
Can Hiller cut it as a HC?
Does Clarke’s X factor outweigh Roy’s over rated D - poor net coverage and lots of D zone giveaways. This is the biggest question but it was always the case no matter what moves were made.
Can Thomas and Turcotte build on decent seasons and replace Lizotte and Grundstrom? Seems possible and certainly not unrealistic.

Honestly I think the roster is better balanced and can be better skilled if Clarke settles and QB takes another step. I think we only miss the play-off if Hiller fails badly which I believe is unlikely. Whether we can win a play-off round is another thing altogether and I won’t have a view until I see them play.
Exactly my thoughts, even though I hate the term/ amount for the Edmundson deal he should be an upgrade on the third pair. My guess is he's going to be paired with Clarke most of the season as a mentor.

The Foegele pickup is nice, Jeannot should bring some toughness for the bottom six. If we expect QB, Laf, Thomas and Turcotte all to improve we should be at least at the same level if not better for next season. People don't talk about it but Kempe had a career year last season, could see him improving more as well.

Blake has no where near fixed his mistakes and I won't mind to see him and Luc go, but at the same time I think people are over reacting on thinking we don't make the playoffs next season, this team is good enough to make it, I just question if we can get through a round yet with this group. QB and someone else would have to make a giant step forward and Kuemper would have to have a season like he did in Colorado or last time he played here.

Anything can happen I guess.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
i think its going to take Clarke at least a full season +, likely two, before he can eat the minutes Roy did. Roy played in every situation and was a quiet, reliable workhorse. idk why some people on this board shit on him so much
I’m not shitting on him, I think he was overrated. By the organisation I should add. They absolutely should have traded him to make room for Clarke at the start of the season as it was obvious we were not remotely a contender. That way Clarke would be that much further in his development. Additional assets are secondary. I said this 12 months ago and said it during our strong start. Clarke moves the needle whereas Roy doesn’t.

Omni Owl

Mar 9, 2008
Who do think is behind Pld and Edmundson, that's right Bergevin. Clean house is the only way to do it
No doubt in my mind Bergevin would be worse than Blake. Just go see what Montreal fans have to say about him, might as well be talking about the plague. That franchise has been f***ed for awhile thanks to him, and their Cup run was an anomaly thanks to C19 and Carey Price playing godlike.

MonkeysUncle

May 31, 2024
San Diego County
It’s pretty obvious if you look at how much Mayor was talking about Dillion that Blake wanted him and when he was off the table Blake overpaid for Edmundson.
Could be, but either way i would have never overpaid for Edmundson especially that much of an over pay. Would have walked away. Still had the the rest of the summer to look at other options. I also still believe Bergevin had his hands all over this signing

Reactions: funky

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Could be, but either way i would have never overpaid for Edmundson especially that much of an over pay. Would have walked away. Still had the the rest of the summer to look at other options. I also still believe Bergevin had his hands all over this signing
100% chance that contract is bought out, or partially retained in a trade

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
The only thing we can hope for now is massive cap jumps the next few years and that Edmundson finds some semblance of how he played a few years ago. He is a King so I will cheer for him and be elated when he knocks the opposition on their ass and he helps protect the puck, the contract however is not pretty and I don’t understand how he gets the trifecta of money, term and a NTC. Still think Burroughs at 1.1 is better bang for the buck.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
Exactly my thoughts, even though I hate the term/ amount for the Edmundson deal he should be an upgrade on the third pair. My guess is he's going to be paired with Clarke most of the season as a mentor.

The Foegele pickup is nice, Jeannot should bring some toughness for the bottom six. If we expect QB, Laf, Thomas and Turcotte all to improve we should be at least at the same level if not better for next season. People don't talk about it but Kempe had a career year last season, could see him improving more as well.

Blake has no where near fixed his mistakes and I won't mind to see him and Luc go, but at the same time I think people are over reacting on thinking we don't make the playoffs next season, this team is good enough to make it, I just question if we can get through a round yet with this group. QB and someone else would have to make a giant step forward and Kuemper would have to have a season like he did in Colorado or last time he played here.

Anything can happen I guess.
It's like poker though. If your hand isn't improving with each card, it's getting worse. The Kings, in your view, staying the same as they were last year while teams like Nashville and Utah and get better...or Chicago and Anaheim improving along with San Jose and Seattle doesn't bode well for the Kings. It's not that they'll be jumped over by all of those teams...but those teams will be harder to beat which can translate to more losses.

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
I’m not shitting on him, I think he was overrated. By the organisation I should add. They absolutely should have traded him to make room for Clarke at the start of the season as it was obvious we were not remotely a contender. That way Clarke would be that much further in his development. Additional assets are secondary. I said this 12 months ago and said it during our strong start. Clarke moves the needle whereas Roy doesn’t.
idk what they were thinking with him in terms of re-signing/trading/etc.... i'll admit i wanted him back but i had no idea he was going to get paid that much. it stings even worse that we got nothing for him lol. youre right in that they should have started clarke's development a lot earlier, even if it meant trading Roy while his stock was high. thank god im only an armchair GM

Reactions: Statto

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
It’s pretty obvious if you look at how much Mayor was talking about Dillion that Blake wanted him and when he was off the table Blake overpaid for Edmundson.
If you're the GM and you can't say no to Bergevin you need to get canned. Lol.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Edmundson, when healthy, IS a need for this team at this moment. But he is rarely healthy, he is long in the tooth, and the contract is ridiculous in dollars AND length.

It's a sign of desperation.

I am certain that there was a strong character recommendation from Bergevin, but this is perfectly in line with Blake's standard negotiations from a position of weakness.

LAKings88

Formerly KOTR
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
Edmundson is going to play what,7 minutes a night. Lot of money for what he will bring at slightly marginally better than Englund.

MonkeysUncle

May 31, 2024
San Diego County
Edmundson, when healthy, IS a need for this team at this moment. But he is rarely healthy, he is long in the tooth, and the contract is ridiculous in dollars AND length.

It's a sign of desperation.

I am certain that there was a strong character recommendation from Bergevin, but this is perfectly in line with Blake's standard negotiations from a position of weakness.
He may be a need for this team, but not at $3.8 and 4 years. This was another inept move by this group. They over corrected when Blake said the players need to be uncomfortable, the problem is this management team need to get uncomfortable and go outside of their way of thinking and bring a ld that can skate and move the puck.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
1. We have not even seen Edmundsen's form this season with the Kings.

2. Blake picks his players and overpays if he has too, how many times do you need to see it, expected,

3. This move is made with the expectation of having some young players that will need protection , mentoring and setting a tone both for the ings and the teams they face.

4. Gavrikov and Englund expire this season.

5. It seems a few of you seem to think if you repeatedly cry here, ownership or management will notice and accept your recommendations.
They will NOT!

6. Please conserve your water.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
This is a very obvious Blake move. Was he informed by Bergevin that he’s a high character guy? Probably. Is Edmundson past his prime? Undoubtedly. But the Kings need a player like this. I just don’t think he’ll be healthy long enough to be what they’re looking for. But constantly blaming Bergevin is tiring. Blake is the one who did this.

Reactions: Surf Nutz

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I am really enjoying listening to Eddie Garcia over the past couple of months. I liked his recent breakdown over the last 2 years:

One thing he mentioned that I didn't notice is that this is the last year of Blake's contract. Sure, Robitaille can do his buddy a solid, but if AEG was going to control any aspect of this team, that's where they would do it. I hate going into this season with the same organization entirely intact off the ice because last season felt like the year it was make or break, but at least this season it is make or break contract-wise. I couldn't even picture the justification if they gave Blake an extension if this turns into another first-round exit or less.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
I am really enjoying listening to Eddie Garcia over the past couple of months. I liked his recent breakdown over the last 2 years:

One thing he mentioned that I didn't notice is that this is the last year of Blake's contract. Sure, Robitaille can do his buddy a solid, but if AEG was going to control any aspect of this team, that's where they would do it. I hate going into this season with the same organization entirely intact off the ice because last season felt like the year it was make or break, but at least this season it is make or break contract-wise. I couldn't even picture the justification if they gave Blake an extension if this turns into another first-round exit or less.

I have a feeling with a few young players trying on roles, making the playoffs may be enough for another year.

Sorry to alarm clock anyone else's extended REM dream state.

Not aimed at you at all.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021

If they fail to renew Blake, it just means we get Frenchy-Marc as a replacement.

Arguably a (somehow) worse scenario, IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $1,050.00