Speculation: Fire Rob Blake Blow it Up Offseason Thread (update: Robitaille, Blake and Hiller stay)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
I have zero issue with the trade request, it’s the leak I object to because it helps nobody. If he was already established as a big name it might help him, but given where he was at it was never going to help. This was always the likely situation once the leak occurred.
Who gives a shit if Kaliyev’s side leaked it? Front offices selectively leak shit all the time. Should there be a witch hunt every time that happens too?

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Who gives a shit if Kaliyev’s side leaked it? Front offices selectively leak shit all the time. Should there be a witch hunt every time that happens too?
Personally yes there should. I don’t like either side doing business that way, as it sets a bad tone.

I’m no Blake fan these days, I’ve said in plenty of times. For the record I completely agree they could have used him much better. But IF they leaked it, they overplayed their hand and created a bigger problem…. Moving him has become harder than it otherwise would have been, which is why I give a shit.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
Personally yes there should. I don’t like either side doing business that way, as it sets a bad tone.

I’m no Blake fan these days, I’ve said in plenty of times. For the record I completely agree they could have used him much better. But IF they leaked it, they overplayed their hand and created a bigger problem…. Moving him has become harder than it otherwise would have been, which is why I give a shit.
It’s complete supposition to state that moving him has become harder because the trade request leaked out, as opposed to the Kings doing a self-inflicted tanking of his value by benching him for months being the reason moving him is difficult (which makes a lot more sense why teams aren’t willing to match whatever price the Kings have set).

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
It’s complete supposition to state that moving him has become harder because the trade request leaked out, as opposed to the Kings doing a self-inflicted tanking of his value by benching him for months being the reason moving him is difficult (which makes a lot more sense why teams aren’t willing to match whatever price the Kings have set).
Disgruntled players wanting out tend to have lower value because in this case we become a selling club, whereas if we get approached for him then we have a stronger position. Now if there is anyone out the following the Blake model (PLD) then great.

Yes it is supposition but it’s not contrived as that is typically what happens. They apparently wanted a 4th rd pick for him at the draft and nobody wanted him. That says a lot considering how low the odds are that a 4th rd pick achieves even the career Kaliyev has had to date.

I fully accept it may not have been his side that leaked it, maybe someone overheard a conversation in a bar between Blake and Luc… who knows? However, that doesn’t feel likely

LAKings88

Formerly KOTR
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
Disgruntled players wanting out tend to have lower value because in this case we become a selling club, whereas if we get approached for him then we have a stronger position. Now if there is anyone out the following the Blake model (PLD) then great.

Yes it is supposition but it’s not contrived as that is typically what happens. They apparently wanted a 4th rd pick for him at the draft and nobody wanted him. That says a lot considering how low the odds are that a 4th rd pick achieves even the career Kaliyev has had to date.

I fully accept it may not have been his side that leaked it, maybe someone overheard a conversation in a bar between Blake and Luc… who knows? However, that doesn’t feel likely
I sat next to two kings staff members and overhead a conversation at the development camp. No one was interested in Kaliyev at this time. Take it for what it is worth of course. I was actually surprised at how open they were talking.

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
I have zero issue with the trade request, it’s the leak I object to because it helps nobody. If he was already established as a big name it might help him, but given where he was at it was never going to help. This was always the likely situation once the leak occurred.
The thing that's missing from what you're talking about is that we don't know how long before the leak was that he had requested a trade. He might have asked for it a year prior. At a certain point, you just get fed up and do whatever you can. The mindset becomes "If you're just going to sit on this because I have no say in the matter, then I'll go public with it to make it a problem."

The reason you don't often see leaks is because typically teams will do what they can to get rid of a player that doesn't want to be there. I have no doubt that Blake was waiting for the best deal he could get or the perfect package to make the deal. Took too long and now he can't get anything for him.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
He has no leverage. They couldn’t move him for a 4th round pick at the draft (the reported price). So if he holds out it’s a ‘so what’ for the Kings because he holds little value.

His only smart play is to sign , play well and get his value up. Maybe along the way they mend some fences.
The best case scenario is for Kaliyev to sign in the KHL and retain his rights. Hopefully he grows up, works harder, and makes something of himself for his benefit AND the Kings.

This is and has always been a one dimensional player who struggles to create for himself. His only real path to success was the Rob Brown/Jonathan Cheechoo route, but the Kings don't employ play-making centers. It was always a doubt to work, and it didn't.

Who knows if it was even "leaked" by the Kings or Kaliyev's camp?

For all we know his agent may have been given permission to seek a new home and the story could have been generated out of that endeavor.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Clarke is going to be entertaining. From what i have seen he would piss me off playing against. Seems cocky, but willing to back it up.
Id liek to see him on the 2nd pairing.. but knowing how Kings do things he'll be sheltered on the 3rd pair and get benched for making any defensive mistake

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Id liek to see him on the 2nd pairing.. but knowing how Kings do things he'll be sheltered on the 3rd pair and get benched for making any defensive mistake
Thing is I think Spence deserves a shot on the 2nd pair. I would like to see Clarke on the 3rd paid with some PP time.

Reactions: Surf Nutz

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Two obvious things that, to my knowledge, are unverified and based entirely on theorizing: 1) that Kaliyev’s camp “leaked” the trade request and 2) that any such trade request is the reason why the Kings are having difficulty trading him.
On both points it’s speculation and nobody (I noticed) has stated it as fact. I even put ‘IF’ in capital letters in my posts.

The trade request being public probably hurts the Kings trade position, because teams know the want/need to move him. If nobody will give a 4th (or prospect ) for him there’s little point in trading him IMO. May as well try to build some bridges and at least get his value up. IF they can sign him.

Despite our (my) speculation it ‘feels’ like a bit of a mess, regardless of blame.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
He has no leverage. They couldn’t move him for a 4th round pick at the draft (the reported price). So if he holds out it’s a ‘so what’ for the Kings because he holds little value.

His only smart play is to sign , play well and get his value up. Maybe along the way they mend some fences.
If the team struggles to score goals, then he has more value as a hold out than under contract. So his leverage has a better chance of increasing by not accepting his QO.

The team was 17th in the league at goals for, with 254. Next season, Kaliyev is a more proven goal scorer than Laferriere, Thomas, Turcotte, and Fagemo.

If he has no trade value, is he better off waiting to take a spot from that group, or surrender his restricted free agency to compete for a spot in camp?

Given the new coach and the goals that departed the roster in the offseason, I don’t see camp as an opportunity for a player in Kaliyev’s position.

If Kaliyev believes in himself more than management does, why sell yourself short? If he was a JAD type player, I’d agree with you. But his pedigree and track record suggests there is more there than he’s been allowed to show.

• Haha
Reactions: Surf Nutz

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Kopi and Doughty succeed in spite of

it was more a commentary in line with

Clarke - wow the org sucks at handling him
Thomas - wow the org sucks at handling him
spence - wow the org sucks at handling him
Turcotte - needs to stay healthy and wow the org sucks at handling him
Byfield - wow the org finally stopped sucking at handling him
Kaliyev - huh wonder what's going on behind the scenes, must be an off ice issue or a trade leaker

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
So Tampa can let Stamkos go, Bobby Orr can end his career in a Blackhawks jersey, Wayne Gretzky can be traded or leave a team multiple times, but Kopitar and Doughty just can't ever be moved out of LA. Got it.

F BLuc!

Crosby, Ovechkin, Toews.....Sedins,

Shit that's just 10 seconds off the top of my head......

You are bitching about outliers

Reactions: YP44
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad