Leafs starting line-up 24/25

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

verdi

Oct 19, 2023
It wasn't that long ago that I considered our forwards to be the strength of the team.

Reactions: definedMF

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
We didn't really have a coach before - hopefully this year will be different, after a bit of experimenting to see who fits where.
To spread out the offence. Also Domi looked really good as Matthews' right wing and I hate when Nylander and Tavares play together. But this could also work:

Domi-Matthews-Nylander
McMann-Tavares-Marner
Robertson-Holmberg-Knies
Dewar-Kampf-Jarnkrok

Also If Domi plays LW then somebody like Knies or McMann will need to play on the off wing.

Reactions: banks

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Why have your second best player on the third line?
Last year Nylander brought down Matthews' results. Domi elevated them. Domi didn't elevate anyone else. Why separate Domi from Matthews? Why use the 11.5M player alongside the 13.25M player when the 13.25M player performs better with the 3.75M player at RW and you can spread out the offense?

2023-24 5v5
Line CombinationTOIGF%xGF%
Matthews-Domi w/o Nylander20162.9%64.8%
Matthews-Nylander w/o Domi26453.1%52.7%
Matthews w/o Domi/Nylander77062.7%54.9%

The results with Tavares' are worse historically. Nylander's best fit is on his own line away from Matthews and Tavares. If Domi was able to put up respectable results away from Matthews it might be a different discussion but he wasn't able to do that last year.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
To spread out the offence. Also Domi looked really good as Matthews' right wing and I hate when Nylander and Tavares play together. But this could also work:

Domi-Matthews-Nylander
McMann-Tavares-Marner
Robertson-Holmberg-Knies
Dewar-Kampf-Jarnkrok

Also If Domi plays LW then somebody like Knies or McMann will need to play on the off wing.
I think you quoted the wrong post, but ...

I agree with your logic as far as Domi and Willy/JT goes, but I think the lines would be much better as:

Knies-Matthews-Domi
McMann-Nylander-Marner
Robertson-Tavares-Holmberg
Dewar-Kampf-Jarnkrok

Reactions: LeafEgo

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
We didn't really have a coach before - hopefully this year will be different, after a bit of experimenting to see who fits where.
There’s always so many unknowns going into the season with this organization. At one time they knew who the 1 and 2 centers were, now they add that to the list. All due to poor cap allocations.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Last year Nylander brought down Matthews' results. Domi elevated them. Domi didn't elevate anyone else. Why separate Domi from Matthews? Why use the 11.5M player alongside the 13.25M player when the 13.25M player performs better with the 3.75M player at RW and you can spread out the offense?

2023-24 5v5
Line CombinationTOIGF%xGF%
Matthews-Domi w/o Nylander20162.9%64.8%
Matthews-Nylander w/o Domi26453.1%52.7%
Matthews w/o Domi/Nylander77062.7%54.9%

The results with Tavares' are worse historically. Nylander's best fit is on his own line away from Matthews and Tavares. If Domi was able to put up respectable results away from Matthews it might be a different discussion but he wasn't able to do that last year.
I didn't suggest playing Nylander with Matthews, and I agree we don't want him with JT. I'd rather see him centering line 2, and JT at 3C.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
I think Cowan's chances of making the team are being severely underrated.

Every single player on this list turned pro the next season (Cowan's streak ended at 36 when the regular season ended for London), either because they became AHL eligible when they turned 20 or because they earned NHL spots.

The way a lot of people are talking about him reminds me of when Sportsnet/TSN did their pre season line projections before the 2016-17 season and didn't have Marner in the top 12 forwards because he "had to earn it."

No one is really denying that Cowan has to earn a spot, it's just a very safe guess that he will earn his spot after training camp+9 games based on the caliber of prospect he has shown himself to be to this point.

beleaf101

Aug 9, 2009
On a Berube coached team l see Reeves in the starting line up opening night. It is a message on how this team will play. Grebyokin if not fully healthy will be Marlie bound much like Benoit was last year until he catches up health wise. I also see Cowan getting a look for 7 or 8 games until they have to make a call on him.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I think Cowan's chances of making the team are being severely underrated.

Every single player on this list turned pro the next season (Cowan's streak ended at 36 when the regular season ended for London), either because they became AHL eligible when they turned 20 or because they earned NHL spots.

The way a lot of people are talking about him reminds me of when Sportsnet/TSN did their pre season line projections before the 2016-17 season and didn't have Marner in the top 12 forwards because he "had to earn it."

No one is really denying that Cowan has to earn a spot, it's just a very safe guess that he will earn his spot after training camp+9 games based on the caliber of prospect he has shown himself to be to this point.
Really curious if they put Cowan down the middle or on the wing. I think last year during pre-season, they had Cowan in the middle.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
On a Berube coached team l see Reeves in the starting line up opening night. It is a message on how this team will play. Grebyokin if not fully healthy will be Marlie bound much like Benoit was last year until he catches up health wise. I also see Cowan getting a look for 7 or 8 games until they have to make a call on him.

Grebenkin has a Euro Assignment Clause per CapFriendly before they shut down. He will not be Marlies bound. Grebenkin wouldn't have signed his ELC yet if he was going back to the KHL again this year. Grebenkin will be a Leaf.

Also considering what happened with Kyle Clifford in St. Louis under Berube, I'm not sure Reaves fits as Berube likes to run 4 lines. Reaves needs to be too heavily sheltered and doesn't really fit that. Wouldn't be surprised if Reaves doesn't even make the team and gets waived after training camp.

Reactions: SeaOfBlue

myleafs

May 25, 2021
1. He's not a minus player.
2. He only put up 20pts on the PP last year.
3. He's still put up 2nd line level points in the playoffs every year except last year which the entire tram struggled to score.

Edit: Fact check yourself please before you spew lies.
Actually he is a minus player over the last 5 yrs......and is a -32 in his career so......fact check yourself please.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
That would be a solution. I’m not a believer in Nylander at C though.
I don't think he's had a fair shot at it.

It's still the question: if neither JT nor Willy plays on the top line, and only one plays in the second, which would you rather have?

My choice would be Willy, as the better player, and if we play JT at 3C, we need a 2C, and I think Willy should get a chance there.

If it works, the team will be much better for it.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I don't think he's had a fair shot at it.

It's still the question: if neither JT nor Willy plays on the top line, and only one plays in the second, which would you rather have?
The real question is: if Marner, Tavares, Nylander don't play top line, how do you distribute the talent so you can roll 3 offensive lines without having to skip shifts?

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
The real question is: if Marner, Tavares, Nylander don't play top line, how do you distribute the talent so you can roll 3 offensive lines without having to skip shifts?
Ok, we can look at it that way.

If, as has been shown, Marner doesn't play as well with JT, and if, as has been shown, Nylander doesn't play as well with JT, then if you want two of them on the second line, which two do you pick?

Actually, I don't think we have enough offensive talent to roll three lines - we've had trouble rolling two.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Ok, we can look at it that way.

If, as has been shown, Marner doesn't play as well with JT, and if, as has been shown, Nylander doesn't play as well with JT, then if you want two of them on the second line, which two do you pick?

Actually, I don't think we have enough offensive talent to roll three lines - we've had trouble rolling two.
Marner and Tavares have played well together though. Over the last 3 seasons they have a 60% GF% at 5v5.

Assuming:

Knies-Matthews-Domi
McMann-Tavares-Marner
X-X-Nylander

Where either of those X's can be Robertson or Jarnkrok. The Leafs can run a sheltered scoring 3rd line. They still need to acquire a C with offensive upside though.

Reactions: SeaOfBlue

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Still think that the biggest issue isn't a top 6 left wing, rather it's finding a cost effective 2C that can move Tavares down the lineup into a high end 3C role. How do you get that done financially? You move Jarnkrok, Kamp and Robertson and ideally 2 of those pieces go the other way in the deal.

Domi-Matthews-Marner
Knies-Addition-Nylander
McMann-Tavares-Grebenkin
Dewar-Holmberg-Steeves
Reeves

Add a 2C that can play between Knies and Nylander and create a 3rd scoring line with Tavares as your 3C. Remember that scoring has been the biggest problem in the playoffs. Depth of scoring (at least 3 scoring lines) with 4 quality centers down the middle, is of primary importance IMO.

Reactions: TheKingSlayer

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Marner and Tavares have played well together though. Over the last 3 seasons they have a 60% GF% at 5v5.

Assuming:

Knies-Matthews-Domi
McMann-Tavares-Marner
X-X-Nylander

Where either of those X's can be Robertson or Jarnkrok. The Leafs can run a sheltered scoring 3rd line. They still need to acquire a C with offensive upside though.
That's going back three seasons. How about last year?

Again, if you want offensive upside, how about a guy with 80 goals over the last two seasons, 11th overall in the league.

Robertson doesn't play centre, and Nylander actually has a better career faceoff % than Jarnkrok.

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004
Still think that the biggest issue isn't a top 6 left wing, rather it's finding a cost effective 2C that can move Tavares down the lineup into a high end 3C role. How do you get that done financially? You move Jarnkrok, Kamp and Robertson and ideally 2 of those pieces go the other way in the deal.

Domi-Matthews-Marner
Knies-Addition-Nylander
McMann-Tavares-Grebenkin
Dewar-Holmberg-Steeves
Reeves

Add a 2C that can play between Knies and Nylander and create a 3rd scoring line with Tavares as your 3C. Remember that scoring has been the biggest problem in the playoffs. Depth of scoring (at least 3 scoring lines) with 4 quality centers down the middle, is of primary importance IMO.
I would seriously try Homberg in the 2C hole. He showed great chemistry with Willie last year. Worked his tail off as well. I would also try Jarnkrok on the # 1 RW line. He has fitwell with Matthews in the past. Move Marner down to the 3 RW. Your gonna spot him with Matthews anyway. And in crunch and critical it is going to be 34,16 and 88
Domi Matthews Jarnkrok
Knies Holmberg Nylander
Robertson JT MM
McMann Kampf Grebenkin/ Reeves

McCabe Tanev (Shutdown)
OEL Liligren
Reilly Timmins

PP # 1 Nylander Knies Matthews (Knies is the bumper)
OEL / Liligren
PP # 2 Marner Taveras Domi ( Taveras is the bumper)
Reilly / Timmins

PK 1 Jarnkrok Holmberg

PK 2 Kampf Marner

Reactions: notDatsyuk

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
A lot of us, including me, are penciling McMann on the second line with JT and Marner. Wonder if that’s a spot Grebenkin can surprisingly take.

Knies - Matthews - Domi
Grebenkin - Tavares - Marner

Reactions: Phion Keneuf

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
That's going back three seasons. How about last year?

Again, if you want offensive upside, how about a guy with 80 goals over the last two seasons, 11th overall in the league.

Robertson doesn't play centre, and Nylander actually has a better career faceoff % than Jarnkrok.
Last year Tavares-Marner had a 65% GF%.

Again - 80 goals over 2 seasons is good. Let Nylander run his own line.

Reactions: banks

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
I think 3 balanced lines is a good plan. No need to push the core 4 too hard out of the gate. Spread out the ice time more early in the season.

I still see Tavares as the #2C, so the question is just where to put Marner and Nylander. Here's my preference, unless some different chemistry presents itself in preseason.

Knies-Matthews-Domi ..................(Aurton/Max worked so well at the end of last season)
McMann-Tavares-Marner ............(I like JT with Mitch. And it frees up Willy)
Robertson-Holmberg-Nylander (WillNy drives his own line, Robertson gets a big shot)
Dewar-Kampf-Jarnkrok .................(underrated unit here, and lots of in-game flexibilty)

Robertson goes to the AHL if they end up grabbing a reclamation UFA like JVR or Patches. I'm seeing some reports suggesting there's a possibility there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad