Post-Game Talk: Young Stars Classic Tournament | Canucks go 3-0 at Young Stars

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
I think it speaks to how much lower the level of competition is at the end of the NHL season when teams are either eliminated or resting ahead of the playoffs.

From the accounts last year—Hirose did not show up to camp in pro-shape. Pretty sure he burned his bridge then and that the Canucks are just going through the motions. He won’t be re-signed when his contract is up.
When they signed him, I wasn't very high on him. I didn't think from my limited viewing that he had NHL attributes to his game.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
When they signed him, I wasn't very high on him. I didn't think from my limited viewing that he had NHL attributes to his game.
imo his first nhl stint he still showed very well especially with his stretch passes and puck moving ability. he was also pretty calm defensively but a work in progress.

he followed it up by a decent young stars performance then fell flat on his face as soon as training camp started. his AHL season was comically bad to the point where you wonder if he was actually this bad all along and he entirely fluked us.

5’11 and being 170lbs at age 24 should’ve been more of a red flag to me.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Lekk is poggers,
might just earned himself a couple pre-season games.

I'd still prefer to keep him away from the NHL this year but it looks like there is a small chance that he forces his way onto the team.
i agree. Lekk with a full year in the AHL means getting used to the larger rink size, putting on more mass and strength and better development coaches. He'll be really well positioned for a 25/26 NHL debut for sure.

Reactions: LordBacon

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Reinbacher, mesar, Cowan, Minten + all playing in the leafs Habs rookie game, much more of an offense first game so far.

Also younger Xhekaj already has a fight

ephmrl

5th overall.
Nov 26, 2011
Victoria, BC
It's extremely painful that Klimovich still has two seasons left on his contract (slid twice). Just has not developed at all and was a completely blunderous pick in the first place.
Some of his individual skills are quite good, but he just hasn’t developed any of his team-based play at all. Unfortunately appears to just be a dumb hockey player.

Reactions: timw33

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver
I think it speaks to how much lower the level of competition is at the end of the NHL season when teams are either eliminated or resting ahead of the playoffs.

From the accounts last year—Hirose did not show up to camp in pro-shape. Pretty sure he burned his bridge then and that the Canucks are just going through the motions. He won’t be re-signed when his contract is up.
Yeah, there's no chance that Hirose gets re-signed. He's older than Rathbone.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Some of his individual skills are quite good, but he just hasn’t developed any of his team-based play at all. Unfortunately appears to just be a dumb hockey player.

"oh he..ummm.....rips the puck like, really good...."

It was just completely baffling that they didn't send him to the QMJHL where his CHL rights landed so that he could work on north american game while not being immediately benched for every mistake.

Just a litany of stupid decisions from the outset.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
imo his first nhl stint he still showed very well especially with his stretch passes and puck moving ability. he was also pretty calm defensively but a work in progress.

he followed it up by a decent young stars performance then fell flat on his face as soon as training camp started. his AHL season was comically bad to the point where you wonder if he was actually this bad all along and he entirely fluked us.

5’11 and being 170lbs at age 24 should’ve been more of a red flag to me.
Kind of shows just how bad the team was that he seemed alright when he played.

Reactions: LemonSauceD

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
You do understand that the NHL rink is smaller ... right?
This comes across as pretty condescending ChillBilly. Hope that is not how you intended it.

Plus It's a valid point if Lekk spends the year working with NHL focused trainers and coaches teaching him best practices on the smaller 😉 rink size to be ready for the 25/26 season.

A solid year in the AHL "could" see Bains, Raty, Sasson, Lekk, D petey, Woo, McWard and whatever the other (not Silovs) goalie legitimately having a chance to make the NHL roster next year.

Looking forward to see how the prospects grow.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's extremely painful that Klimovich still has two seasons left on his contract (slid twice). Just has not developed at all and was a completely blunderous pick in the first place.

Yep.....with the departure of Podkolzin, and the inevitable departure of Klimovich, slowly but surely the Canucks are weeding out the last vestiges of some of Benning's disastrous draft picks. About the only guy left is Woo, and of course Silovs. But I don't count goalies since Ian Clark probably has a huge hand in scouting and drafting them.

Unfortunately the 'hangover' will continue long into the future with you contemplate Juolevi instead of Tkachuk; Podkolzin instead of Boldy or Caufield; and Klimovich instead of Stankoven. Oh, the misery of it all.

• Haha
Reactions: Coffees

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
This comes across as pretty condescending ChillBilly. Hope that is not how you intended it.

Plus It's a valid point if Lekk spends the year working with NHL focused trainers and coaches teaching him best practices on the smaller 😉 rink size to be ready for the 25/26 season.

A solid year in the AHL "could" see Bains, Raty, Sasson, Lekk, D petey, Woo, McWard and whatever the other (not Silovs) goalie legitimately having a chance to make the NHL roster next year.

Looking forward to see how the prospects grow.
Was assuming he meant the opposite. Wasn't trying to be condescending, but was surprised no one mentioned it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad