Speculation: Fire Rob Blake Blow it Up Offseason Thread (update: Robitaille, Blake and Hiller stay)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Could make the case Kempe is on or near that list...

Los Angeles Kings Shut Out of THN’s Top 50 NHL Players List

In the latest rankings from TheHockeyNews, not a single Los Angeles Kings player made the cut in their esteemed top-50 players list for the current year. The absence of Kings stars such as Anze Kopitar, Drew Doughty, Kevin Fiala, and Adrian Kempe from the top echelons underscores a point of concern for the franchise – the seeming lack of elite talent within their ranks.

These rankings, while not the be-all and end-all of player evaluations, do offer a glimpse into the perceived caliber of NHL teams and their key players. It’s a stark indicator for the Kings, whose roster in recent years hasn’t dazzled the hockey world enough to earn any spots among the league’s elite fifty.
People like to complain coaching, or the 1-3-1, but it doesn't really matter what system you play if you don't have the talent on your roster to contend.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Been thinking the same thing all summer…

Right now Kings only have two extra forwards - Fagemo and Kayilev (if he signs). Hoping Lewis is scratched most of the time and Fagemo gets in there.

They have extra D in Burroughs, Englund, Jones and Moverare.

My ideal lineup for the start of REGULAR season has

Turcotte - Lewis - Akil = L4

Fiala - QB - Foegi-O

Jeannot - Kopitar - Kempe

Moore - Danault - Laffy

The other 3 lines are interchangable based on current form.

I hope to see Kaliyev signed and given another top 3 chance along with Fagemo, during preseason

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
Right now Kings only have two extra forwards - Fagemo and Kayilev (if he signs). Hoping Lewis is scratched most of the time and Fagemo gets in there.

you forgetting about Gawdin, Studnika, Mallott, Madden, Ward, Lee, Helenius etc etc etc?

Reactions: Johnny Utah

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
the worst part about the Kings 1-3-1 is that they didn’t have a great enough defense and goaltending to employ shell counter attack hockey.

You have freaking Talbot and you’re running 1-3-1. Absolutely moronic. At least Roy is gone. That’s 1 goal a game guaranteed off the stat sheet. The greatest spectator I’ve ever seen in the crease. Guarding no one, not even moving to cover the open man. Just standing there and staring like he’s into some kinky type shit.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
the worst part about the Kings 1-3-1 is that they didn’t have a great enough defense and goaltending to employ shell counter attack hockey.

You have freaking Talbot and you’re running 1-3-1. Absolutely moronic. At least Roy is gone. That’s 1 goal a game guaranteed off the stat sheet. The greatest spectator I’ve ever seen in the crease. Guarding no one, not even moving to cover the open man. Just standing there and staring like he’s into some kinky type shit.

Yep, thats why he landed a 6 year 5.75 million per deal....because he can't play defense.....Jesus Christ talk about some shitty takes.....

• Haha
Reactions: Surf Nutz

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Yep, thats why he landed a 6 year 5.75 million per deal....because he can't play defense.....Jesus Christ talk about some shitty takes.....
Sol isn’t wrong that his net coverage at times cost us and he gave the puck away a tonne. Also I do think he benefited hugely from Gavrikov. I think he was worth what we were paying him but he’s not worth the deal he got.

Reactions: funky

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Roy was a 7th round pick, 194th overall.

One of the best picks ever by the Kings, for when he was picked and what he delivered.

I am ok with letting the Caps outbid us but if we don't make the top 8 Westerly, his loss will be palpable.

The amount of disrespect to some of the players here , like Roy and Kopi is hideously beastly.

I know people are frustrated with 3 first round losses to what became the proven West Champs, but

keep the train on the tracks people!

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Roy's play went down thepast season. I'm not sure if it was trying to adjust on taking more chances, but his reads of the plays and coverages were off.

Not a "good riddance" type of scenario, as he still had value. But it feels like some were still clinging to the Roy of the year before last

MonkeysUncle

May 31, 2024
San Diego County
Been thinking the same thing all summer…

We know Lewis will at least play enough games to hit a 1000. It is very important to them he does it in a kings Jersey

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Roy's play went down thepast season. I'm not sure if it was trying to adjust on taking more chances, but his reads of the plays and coverages were off.

Not a "good riddance" type of scenario, as he still had value. But it feels like some were still clinging to the Roy of the year before last
Which makes it all the more painful that we didn't trade him.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

On the contrary

Feels like far too many assess Roy solely on his dip in play post-injury and not his entire body of work

Get the feeling there's gonna be some 'why didn't he play that way for us' this year

Doesn't ultimately matter because I think 99.9% of people here thought he was a goner and almost all knew he was gone as @johnjm22 points out but I haven't seen a player get wrongfully pinata'ed like this in quite some time.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
you forgetting about Gawdin, Studnika, Mallott, Madden, Ward, Lee, Helenius etc etc etc?
Yanetti basically said Lee and Helenius (my fav prospect) need another year in the A.

Madden could get a call - might be one of those players where his game translates better in the show.

Ward is a power forward but he’s basically an AHL version of Jeannot but fights less. Still a good player.

Gawdin has 0 NHL goals spread over about 4 NHL seasons - only 13 games played though. Don’t really see much upside there. He’s also 27.

Malott has played 1 NHL game. Though he has the size and skill.

Studnika is probably the most likely he has over 100 NHL games under his belt. He’s also younger than Malott and Gawdin. Also was a 2nd round pick.

Last edited:
Reactions: Statto

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
On the contrary

Feels like far too many assess Roy solely on his dip in play post-injury and not his entire body of work

Get the feeling there's gonna be some 'why didn't he play that way for us' this year

Doesn't ultimately matter because I think 99.9% of people here thought he was a goner and almost all knew he was gone as @johnjm22 points out but I haven't seen a player get wrongfully pinata'ed like this in quite some time.
We may have been looking at the same conclusion from different angles. You're pointing out they only saw this year's Roy and ignored his body of work. I'm mentioning people were feeling underwhelmedby this season compared to the rest of his body of work.

Either way you look at it, he didn't have a great season. People seem to be focusing so much on the recency, that they overlook the possibility it may have been an outlier.

Different causes, same effect, as it could turn out to be.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
We may have been looking at the same conclusion from different angles. You're pointing out they only saw this year's Roy and ignored his body of work. I'm mentioning people were feeling underwhelmedby this season compared to the rest of his body of work.

Either way you look at it, he didn't have a great season. People seem to be focusing so much on the recency, that they overlook the possibility it may have been an outlier.

Different causes, same effect, as it could turn out to be.
For me it was his complete body of work. I was strongly in favour of trading him before the start of this season and posted to that effect. His value was at an all time high with Gavrikov elevating his game after he arrived. His issues last season were prominent in 22/23 before Gav arrived. As I say he was worth what we paid him and he is not a bad player, but I do think he’s been over valued.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
I would have been fine with keeping Roy, just not at that price.
Im sure the Kings made at least some effort to keep him. Reading between the lines Roy wanted to move on. He made some comments about him and his wife wanting to leave California and also made remarks about idiots dancing in the lockerroom last year.
If he wanted to stay Id think Spence would have been on the move.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Im sure the Kings made at least some effort to keep him. Reading between the lines Roy wanted to move on. He made some comments about him and his wife wanting to leave California and also made remarks about idiots dancing in the lockerroom last year.
If he wanted to stay Id think Spence would have been on the move.
I'm not surprised. Pretty sure only friends and family keep me here at this point. It's so expensive.

Reactions: Schmooley

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
I heard the part about wanting to get out of Cali but nothing about dancing idiots. Roy also said Kings made him an offer.
He said it in an interview during or after a game last year. Cant remember which one but he didnt seem pleased with that type of behavior.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I am glad Roy is gone. Overrated and took up a spot. If the Kings were realistic with where they were they should have traded him at the deadline so someone else can have him spectate their crease

Last edited:

SaltyElkHunter

I …. am…. The LA Kings!
Apr 24, 2019
Utah
Man imagine when Texas gets a second team and Atlanta. Maybe it’s a good time to be in the gutter with two expansion drafts coming. With greed at an all time high wouldn’t be surprised if we got 4 with Quebec and Phoenix as well.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
Roy catches most of the ire from people here, for a myriad of reasons, but Gavrikov was the one who was truly horrendous down the stretch last year.

Hopefully he was just struggling with the injury, and it’s not indicative of what he is becoming.

Reactions: Johnny Utah
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad