Speculation: Fire Rob Blake Blow it Up Offseason Thread (update: Robitaille, Blake and Hiller stay)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Not true at all check on T Murray, D Bylsma .. you know what i mean.. teams that are close or have a decent roster or on the upswing.. Columbus is not that team

You mean..Byslma....who was an interim coach that won the cup? Wasn't hired during the off-season on a contender, or T Murray same thing n Washington, never really hired by a contender,

Like I said, teams that are contenders in the off-season, very rarely hire coaches...... but you then expanded it from contenders, to also teams with a decent roster

Ok, CBS roster definitely qualifies, Fantille, Johnson, Sillinger, Voronkov, Marchenkov, Harris, Jiricek, Mateychuk, Provorov, Werenski....

Definitely an up and coming roster.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I’m really glad that you guys all hate this organization because we’d have issues if you didn’t ❤️

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Sorry, I meant that your opaque assertion “it’s something else” is the reason he’s not in favor.
I agree my view isn’t fact. However, he wouldn’t be the first socially awkward player and added to that that they have pumped his tyres at times including the work he did last off season.

Him being in the out for being simply socially awkward doesn’t hold up objectively. It’s a bigger issue IMO.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Sounds like someone who should be put in a scoring role instead of buried on the fourth line.
But to play there he still has to do certain things at a sufficient level. What’s been quoted doesn’t indicate an on-ice issue anyway.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
But to play there he still has to do certain things at a sufficient level. What’s been quoted doesn’t indicate an on-ice issue anyway.
I would see a good first shift - sometimes fairly physical too, maybe a good 25 seconds on the first PP attempt, then a pretty ineffective player for the rest of the game. Over and over.

What if he has repeatedly been asked to work on something and struggled meeting the standard?
#
What if he responded poorly and lost the benefit of the doubt from his teammates and coaches?

Who knows, but there are a lot of forgivable faults in hockey and this one is apparently a big enough issue to warrant the lack of interest or reasonable extention thus far.

Reactions: Surf Nutz

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I agree.

The problem (to me at least) is that there was little hesitation to move him down the lineup when he had a less than great shift. When you do that to a player, they respond in different ways. Sometimes, it makes them so afraid to make mistakes (or simply unmotivates them) that it becomes that self-fulfilling prophecy.

Of course, Kaliyev has to own some of these results.

But I think people are overlooking the potential contributing factors from LA's side that have brought Kaliyev to this point.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I agree.

The problem (to me at least) is that there was little hesitation to move him down the lineup when he had a less than great shift. When you do that to a player, they respond in different ways. Sometimes, it makes them so afraid to make mistakes (or simply unmotivates them) that it becomes that self-fulfilling prophecy.

Of course, Kaliyev has to own some of these results.

But I think people are overlooking the potential contributing factors from LA's side that have brought Kaliyev to this point.
I said in my longer post that I don’t think they handled him great BUT I don’t think the bigger issue is his on ice play.

When Kaliyev was moved down to the 4th line it was not just one shift it was a couple of ‘meh’ games. Add to that Grundström was playing great and they obviously wanted the tempo he was playing with at the time to help get PLD going. So as a player, any player, they need to take one for the team and force the coach to promote them again by bringing it.

Reading between the lines (Jesse recapped) it seems like it’s his reaction that is the issue… the nature of the reaction is what I have no read on. I seriously doubt it’d be anything as benign as ‘socially awkward’. It may well be fed by understandable frustrations but any reaction should always be a professional one (which I obviously don’t know for fact that it was/wasn’t).

Reactions: King'sPawn

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Kaliyev's shift charts are hilarious

maybe you think he's ineffective later in games because he typically gets 3 shifts in the 1st period and 1 each in the 2nd and 3rd

We can argue about whether it's chicken or egg all day but those comments sound a lot like Blake's "well he didn't really help us down the stretch" no shit comment

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
I’m asking you to give your complete opinion. You can build your opinion from the endless quotes you give. Why should I infer from all the quotes when you can simply just tell us all what your opinion is? You’ve already come this far, why back out now?

When someone is proving a point they explain why their “evidence” supports their claim. You haven’t made a claim yet. I did. Why don’t you?

Pretty obvious Jesse has to walk a bit of a tight rope here.

Not sure why you keep shaking it in an obvious attempt to watch him fall.

He has given me replies that pissed me off and I replied but I don't keep going back at him over and over.

You know exactly what is going on here, on top of your history here speaks for itself.

I like Jesse's insights and him interacting on the board, which I don't think his employer requires.

Turn on the A/C and have a cold one, dude.
As for me, I am not emotionally attached to any player on the King. I do like Fiala but I don’t care about anyone else. If I have blinders for any player it’s Fiala. The only reason I care right now is because I am fed up with this organization as a whole and it angers me we are letting prospects go without giving them a legitimate shot at reaching their potential. My issue is with the principle of the situation. And it’s just surprising people don’t seem to really give a shit about what’s going on with Kaliyev. Ziggy just said “take away his shot, what does he have?” Which is wrong way to approach the situation. Teams alone will seek out a player just for his shot, and the thing is Kaliyev is just another player on a list of prospects who has gotten shafted by this organization. My original point of contention with this matter is that no one is covering what’s going on with Kaliyev and that bothers me. How many young potential talent do the Kings plan on squandering due to their archaic methodology?

I mean it is a legitimate argument overall.

But Kali ain't the best example because word is he could not garner a fifth and no team has moved on him.

He is one of the few players I have seen the GM and ex coach single out in a negative fashion.

I personally think he may be on the special needs spectrum, with all due respect and compassion.

I would hope Hiller gives him a blank slate, shot at a spot.

I don't know if Blake will allow it.

Thinking back to how he handled Toffoli and Pearson when they did not fulfill expectations.

Probably the right move with Pearson but Toffoli definitely had a resurgence.

And of course Kali and his agent have not signed and are weighing other options.
what gaslighting???

Not that I agree but probably Bluc and their pressers , feel this way to him.

I could understand that.

Last edited:

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Dude you are pissing in the wind here,

The only reason that this board can accept for Kaliyev being treated/used/deployed the way he is, is that the coaches and management are f***ing morons.....that's it, point blank, no other feasible reason would ever be entertained.

Like Durzi, I recall Kali choking defensively leading to other team scoring in the playoffs when they sort of give up or didn't battle hard enough.

I believe the playoffs are like final exams and it should weigh heavily on who is kept or given opportunities on the team.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Could make the case Kempe is on or near that list...

Los Angeles Kings Shut Out of THN’s Top 50 NHL Players List

In the latest rankings from TheHockeyNews, not a single Los Angeles Kings player made the cut in their esteemed top-50 players list for the current year. The absence of Kings stars such as Anze Kopitar, Drew Doughty, Kevin Fiala, and Adrian Kempe from the top echelons underscores a point of concern for the franchise – the seeming lack of elite talent within their ranks.

These rankings, while not the be-all and end-all of player evaluations, do offer a glimpse into the perceived caliber of NHL teams and their key players. It’s a stark indicator for the Kings, whose roster in recent years hasn’t dazzled the hockey world enough to earn any spots among the league’s elite fifty.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

In the latest rankings from TheHockeyNews, not a single Los Angeles Kings player made the cut in their esteemed top-50 players list for the current year. The absence of Kings stars such as Anze Kopitar, Drew Doughty, Kevin Fiala, and Adrian Kempe from the top echelons underscores a point of concern for the franchise – the seeming lack of elite talent within their ranks.

These rankings, while not the be-all and end-all of player evaluations, do offer a glimpse into the perceived caliber of NHL teams and their key players. It’s a stark indicator for the Kings, whose roster in recent years hasn’t dazzled the hockey world enough to earn any spots among the league’s elite fifty.

"ha"

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Kaliyev failed to score next to Dubois. This is the only reason he is on the shit list. Laffy scored 9 goals and he’s now Kopi’s new winger. Blake made a terrible trade and the blast zone for collateral damage is a coach, management’s jobs on the line, and any player who doesn’t toe the company line 150%.

Anyone trying to read into the situation is delusional at best. Stop making excuses for the incompetence of Rob Blake and Luc Robitaille. 8 years these fools have been screwing things up and yet people take them at face value.

These incompetents have zero vision and only care about their personal reputations when it comes to legacy. They have no credibility and have given fans no reason to hope for a championship.

But no, please convince me that Arty is a worthless player because he’s autistic and doesn’t go to Dave n Busters with the boys. I could have sworn less than a year ago he had busted his ass in the summer and was pegged to be a guy who was counted on by the GM. Feels like some small but critical decision was skipped there. Wonder who fell down on the job? Can’t have been anyone in the waves up crew, right?

Last edited:

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Kaliyev failed to score next to Dubois. This is the only reason he is on the shit list. Laffy scored 9 goals and he’s now Kopi’s new winger. Blake made a terrible trade and the blast zone for collateral damage is a coach, management’s jobs on the line, and any player who doesn’t toe the company line 150%.

Anyone trying to read into the situation is delusional at best. Stop making excuses for the incompetence of Rob Blake and Luc Robitaille. 8 years these fools have been screwing things up and yet people take them at face value.

These incompetents have zero vision and only care about their personal reputations when it comes to legacy. They have no credibility and have given fans no reason to hope for a championship.

But no, please convince me that Arty is a worthless player because he’s autistic and doesn’t go to Dave n Busters with the boys. I could have sworn less than a year ago he had busted his ass in the summer and was pegged to be a guy who was counted on by the GM. Feels like some small but critical decision was skipped there. Wonder who fell down on the job? Can’t have been anyone in the waves up crew, right?
If any of that is at me….

1. I want BLuc gone.
2. I’ve interpreted things based on the info I have. I’ve caveated everything in the acknowledgment I may be wrong. I’ve also tried to be objective and judge the situation in a vacuum rather than from the perspective I want BLuc gone.
3. Both my kids are autistic…. I probably am also, so I certainly have no issue with that. I also wouldn’t say Kaliyev has ASD because I have no idea. Even though when people use the phrase ‘socially awkward’ I’m aware that’s a possible/likely implication. I don’t think it should be a barrier and in fact ASD in some contexts could be very helpful. However, some parts of it could be a challenge for any ASD player and a coaching staff. I’m not prepared to stick that label on Arty though as I have zero idea. Regardless if he’s just socially awkward (ASD or not) it’s improbable that is the reason for this.
4, Did I say I want BLuc gone? Just because they have made many mistakes it doesn’t mean they are to blame for everything. I think they have contributed to some degree here but from what I’ve understood/interpreted Arty probably has also.

Fair assessment.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

100% he did, and started out....and...fizzled......you don't realize that he fizzled out like flat coke? Cmon....

Gjwrams

A Know Nothing Fool
Mar 4, 2019

I can give 2 squirts of piss about these type of subjective lists. Usually written by east coast and Canadian writers.

Papa Mocha 15

I love the smell of ice in the morning.
Nov 27, 2008
Hanging with Brad Doty.
Team needs to go into a new direction. I'd rather just sell off, get some picks and at least get a GM with a clear vision. If the vision is 1-3-1, it doesn't scream creativity or growth. It's hide and play safe until something comes along instead of creating opportunities.

We have screwed up so much youth because they don't get to make decisions on/off the puck. It's not touches of the puck in the off time at development camp but real experience where these players grow facing other teams when it counts where they can learn. Our youth is not getting that time which is why they end up leaving via trade or mutually parting ways. Kaliyev is the latest of the group. The kids need to play to improve and we just bring them up and give them a few shifts here and there and are surprised when it doesn't work out.

This organization is screwed until the attitude changes with management which I don't see happening until new management comes in. EDM has knocked us around 3 years in a row. The reporter nailed it on the head when he summed it up and said to Blake and Luc "so you're really not doing anything different than last year".

I want to be excited about LA, I've grown up watching this team and it's so infuriating that they can't figure this shit out. I fly in from out of town to take my kid to games and it's not so much fun to fly into town to watch a team that doesn't take chances.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Team needs to go into a new direction. I'd rather just sell off, get some picks and at least get a GM with a clear vision. If the vision is 1-3-1, it doesn't scream creativity or growth. It's hide and play safe until something comes along instead of creating opportunities.

We have screwed up so much youth because they don't get to make decisions on/off the puck. It's not touches of the puck in the off time at development camp but real experience where these players grow facing other teams when it counts where they can learn. Our youth is not getting that time which is why they end up leaving via trade or mutually parting ways. Kaliyev is the latest of the group. The kids need to play to improve and we just bring them up and give them a few shifts here and there and are surprised when it doesn't work out.

This organization is screwed until the attitude changes with management which I don't see happening until new management comes in. EDM has knocked us around 3 years in a row. The reporter nailed it on the head when he summed it up and said to Blake and Luc "so you're really not doing anything different than last year".

I want to be excited about LA, I've grown up watching this team and it's so infuriating that they can't figure this shit out. I fly in from out of town to take my kid to games and it's not so much fun to fly into town to watch a team that doesn't take chances.
I think a severe lack of vision has been the grand failure with Blake’s tenure in LA. At no point with Blake here have the players drafted/brought in, the system in place, or the message from management all aligned.

We've seen a couple of those line up in stretches, but there's never been a point where all three of those are congruent.

I feel like Blake's tenure will be defined years from now, once he's gone, as him trying to fit square pegs in round holes.

MonkeysUncle

May 31, 2024
San Diego County

I personally would like to see someone with experience and is ready to run a Hockey organization, Maybe someone out of Carolina, Dallas, or Tampa . Would like to see Yannetti stay on.
The problem is that ownership is to far removed and Luc has to close of a relationship to the people above him that that they can't be objective.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Do the Kings sign anyone to a PTO, if so who?
Not a PTO, but the Kings might try to sign Samuel St-Hilaire similar to how they signed Martin Jones:

Funny enough, while the Kings have rather quickly repaired their organizational goaltending depth in nearly head-spinning fashion (with Portillo-George-Slukynsky forming a formidable trio), it’s actually a netminder who is an invitee that should be earmarked as somebody to keep a close eye on. QMJHL product Samuel St-Hilaire is the only other player without a contract who the team is believed to be seriously considering for a new deal. The staff got an early look at him during Development Camp, including a nearly lights out performance in one of the scrimmages. Playing for the Sherbrooke Phoenix last season, St-Hilaire produced a .915 save percentage, that was fourth-best in the league. He also had the third-best goals against average (2.41) and tied for the third most shutouts (5).

Reactions: CanadianKingsFan19

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

I will bite, what "youth" has gone away via trade or mutually parting ways and found success....

Vilardi....is the only one, got anyone else? Wait...I know Durz....well shit, everyone wanted him off of the team, does he count?

Reactions: Surf Nutz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad