HF Habs: Out Of Town Thread: 2024 Off-Season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Beer and Chips

Feb 5, 2018
So you would sell the vets if we are in a playoff run? What's the message you send to your players and coaches?
I agree it would be a tough decision but I just don't see Hughes who has shown he is willing to wait until he gets a proper return would allow three veterans to just walk away. Personally I don't think this team should be anywhere near the playoffs anyway, what would they gain getting swept in the first round?

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
So you beleive Hughes will allow Dvorak, Armia, and Savard to go to UFA with no return, if mathematically the playoffs are possible?
It depends on a lot of things -- injuries, timelines of return from injury, etc.

I think Hughes won't weaken the team unless the playoffs are out of reach.

Personally I don't think this team should be anywhere near the playoffs anyway, what would they gain getting swept in the first round?
Battling to get into the playoffs is a big stepping stone in and of itself. Playing in the playoffs and experiencing what it's like is priceless imo. We want to see our youngsters stress-tested and put in a position where they have to elevate their game.

If you want to win the Cup you need to play in the playoffs!

Beer and Chips

Feb 5, 2018
It depends on a lot of things -- injuries, timelines of return from injury, etc.

I think Hughes won't weaken the team unless the playoffs are out of reach.

Battling to get into the playoffs is a big stepping stone in and of itself. Playing in the playoffs and experiencing what it's like is priceless imo. We want to see our youngsters stress-tested and put in a position where they have to elevate their game.

If you want to win the Cup you need to play in the playoffs!
Battling for a playoff spot would be a big step indeed.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Now that we have Laine, we probably won't dump players at all. We need all hands on deck and to see how the season starts. What if we rack up wins... you can't sell off when you're winning.
We will need a minimum of 10 more RW and about 14 more ROW to be in the mix.
I don't see it happening. This group is not there yet and neither Savard nor Dvorak will move that needle.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
I don't see it happening. This group is not there yet and neither Savard nor Dvorak will move that needle.
How many one goal games did we lose last year? (Is there a resource we can consult easily?) I'm viewing it on the balance that we tied with the NYI with 16 OTL. If that comes down and some of those OTLs become Ws, it means we've given away fewer points to competitors and gained more for ourselves. That by itself puts us closer to the playoff picture.

Then we have the favoured term of the anti-Laine crowd, "organic growth". It was said we didn't need Laine because the Habs' "organic growth" would elevate our game. Well, there's a bit of truth to that and adding Laine definitely helps. We can expect that Caufield, Guhle, and Slafkovsky will contribute more than they did last year -- Caufield's shooting at 5% was unnatural, Slafkovsky was tepid until he woke up, Guhle is still rounding out his game and contribution.

We can expect a healthy Dvorak to push down Evans and contribute more than than the rotation of warm-bodies and tweeners we had last year. Newhook was injured for a significant chunk -- will he provide at the same rate or an elevated rate? Joshua Roy can snatch a spot in the top9 -- can he produce more in that exploitation line?

Laine gives us scoring depth, I'm so happy we have him. I'm taking a rather cautious view on things but I expect growth overall.

As the season goes on we will know our fate, in fact by early December we will have a good idea about where this team will end up.

Reactions: Andrei79

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
So you beleive Hughes will allow Dvorak, Armia, and Savard to go to UFA with no return, if mathematically the playoffs are possible?
Unless they’ve been reduced to part time roles, they will simply be viewed as deadline acquisitions - Gorton & Hughes have made it clear getting young players experience in meaningful games in March & April is paramount this season

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
If there is a reasonable chance to make the playoffs he won't sell off. If a player like Dvorak hasn't been of much use and someone will take him he would probably move him and possibly add a more useful forward.

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
I agree it would be a tough decision but I just don't see Hughes who has shown he is willing to wait until he gets a proper return would allow three veterans to just walk away. Personally I don't think this team should be anywhere near the playoffs anyway, what would they gain getting swept in the first round?
They would gain that experience and knowing how hard it will be to win it all. There is no way playing in games that actually matter could ruin Habs future, unless Hughes turns into Bergy at the TDL and they get 5 veterans defensemen for the playoffs and a bunch of 4th liners they play over the youngsters.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I doubt it. And if he does then he should probably be fired on the spot.

Dvorak and Armia are not good and that's why they are still with us despite their relatively low AAV. If there was interest for them outside a rental TDL acquisition for a pick then they would have been traded at the same time as Toffoli. The Jays just emptied their team and they are winning more games with young players than they were with vets like KK and Turner.

The only guy in those 3 who bring something when it comes to winning more games is Savard and this is if he plays like the last 2 years which is not certain. I could see him retain Savard if we are close to a playoffs spot but the other two should be gone after TDL no matter what.

Last edited:

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021

Savard at least stabilize the right side D and would make a fine 3rd pair RHD if, well the Habs had other RHD to play on the 1st and 2nd line...which yeah, suggest the team isn't playoff ready at all if he's not in that slot.

Dvorak is totally expendable on an healthy line-up and will probably find himself on the 4th line by mid-season (or most probably injured again). He's my canditate for a camp trade.

Reactions: LaP

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
CBJ is now significantly below the cap floor. I wonder if Bettman will give them some sort of exemption until next season due to the circumstances.
He should yes

Armia and Savard could be good in playoffs. Solid veteran depth. If Hughes thinks He's in they probably stay

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
He should yes

Armia and Savard could be good in playoffs. Solid veteran depth. If Hughes thinks He's in they probably stay
You should also include Dvorak. He is still a okay third center. We are very weak at center right now. If we still have a chance for playoff, all 3 players will stay with us.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
You should also include Dvorak. He is still a okay third center. We are very weak at center right now. If we still have a chance for playoff, all 3 players will stay with us.
Newhook was better at center last season than Dvorak ever was. Only thing Dvorak does well is win faceoffs but at this point in time it should not be a focus of this team. Trying to put the cart before the horses would be a mistake.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
How many one goal games did we lose last year? (Is there a resource we can consult easily?) I'm viewing it on the balance that we tied with the NYI with 16 OTL. If that comes down and some of those OTLs become Ws, it means we've given away fewer points to competitors and gained more for ourselves. That by itself puts us closer to the playoff picture.
We had a lot of OTLs but it wasn't as much about 'we lost a lot of points by not getting the W in OT' as it was us stealing a single point to get it to OT.

Eithr way, a healthy Dach, focused Laine and our top line 1 year closer to their prime...I expect us to sniff the playoffs for a good chunk of the year.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Just wanted to pop by and remind everyone that Jeremy Swayman is still unsigned.

If the idea was to make swayman a workhorse, he will get signed.

If the idea was that he will continue to split time, I think it's going to fundamentally go against the bruins model. It's unheard of for a 45 game goalie to get anywhere near the price he is allegedly commanding. That's where it gets quite tricky.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
If the idea was to make swayman a workhorse, he will get signed.

If the idea was that he will continue to split time, I think it's going to fundamentally go against the bruins model. It's unheard of for a 45 game goalie to get anywhere near the price he is allegedly commanding. That's where it gets quite tricky.
I think he was going to be their starter. No other reason to deal away a solid goalie to Ottawa.

But they didn't plan this out very well.

What a shame....

Reactions: Shred

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Yeah, well.... not really :cool:
I just feel... so, so bad for them.

1725321348051.png

• Love
Reactions: Paddyjack

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Then we have the favoured term of the anti-Laine crowd, "organic growth". It was said we didn't need Laine because the Habs' "organic growth" would elevate our game. Well, there's a bit of truth to that and adding Laine definitely helps. We can expect that Caufield, Guhle, and Slafkovsky will contribute more than they did last year -- Caufield's shooting at 5% was unnatural, Slafkovsky was tepid until he woke up, Guhle is still rounding out his game and contribution.

We can expect a healthy Dvorak to push down Evans and contribute more than than the rotation of warm-bodies and tweeners we had last year. Newhook was injured for a significant chunk -- will he provide at the same rate or an elevated rate? Joshua Roy can snatch a spot in the top9 -- can he produce more in that exploitation line?

Laine gives us scoring depth, I'm so happy we have him. I'm taking a rather cautious view on things but I expect growth overall.

As the season goes on we will know our fate, in fact by early December we will have a good idea about where this team will end up.
The NYI were the team with the fewest RW at 29 which was 9 more than we had plus they had 12 more ROW to go along with those OTL games.
Washington who were terrible still had 32 RW 36 ROW and 11 OTL. So 12 more RW and 10 more ROW with 5 fewer OTL.
Our fate will be determined by who we can beat outright in our conference and particularly in our division.
7 of our first 10 games are in our conference we should know very early on if we can compete.
Having those RW's is an absolute must if we are to make the playoffs. Winning a few more OT games won't cut it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad