HF Habs: Out Of Town Thread: 2024 Off-Season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
As only 8 years are allowed pretty sure that 9th year is some kind of lockout protection, so that the player does not have to starve when the current CBA is up in 2026(?).
The last thing the NHL wants is homeless pro hockey player in Raleigh begging for food on the main street.

Last edited:

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
It's not done because they save 60k on 8M

If half the team does it it's enough to hire a league minimum guy :sarcasm:

Typical Hurricanes cheap ass BS

Reactions: Redux91

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
It's not done because they save 60k on 8M

If half the team does it it's enough to hire a league minimum guy :sarcasm:

Typical Hurricanes cheap ass BS
It's Dundon reporting signing bonus payments in 9 years. Doesn't sound like someone who's entitle to spend money on his players.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Never won a 3rd round
1 playoffs series win a decade+
Brad Treeliving was just hired
Matthews is balding

923fvn.jpg

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
CBJ is now significantly below the cap floor. I wonder if Bettman will give them some sort of exemption until next season due to the circumstances.
They won't be significantly under the cap floor, just a few millions and have plenty of space to take a cap dump now...

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I hope Ovechkin makes it. It's going to be hard to score those remaining 41 goals.

CBJ is now significantly below the cap floor. I wonder if Bettman will give them some sort of exemption until next season due to the circumstances.
I think that it would also need to be approved by the NHLPA.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

I suspect they'll get an exemption...

But, I also think that once the trajedy dust settles and they get back to hockey, they'll make 1-2 "big" deals that leverage that cap space to add assets.

Wouldn't be surprised in the least to see Gally end up there... He's basically the exact vet profile you'd want to add to a situation like this, and assuming he & Monahan got along, that familiarity could help get the deal done on both sides

• Love
Reactions: the

McGees

Jun 15, 2016

But, I also think that once the trajedy dust settles and they get back to hockey, they'll make 1-2 "big" deals that leverage that cap space to add assets.

Wouldn't be surprised in the least to see Gally end up there... He's basically the exact vet profile you'd want to add to a situation like this, and assuming he & Monahan got along, that familiarity could help get the deal done on both sides
Anyone taking Gally before his last year is some hopium copium thinking unless we are ready to start attaching 1st round picks.

Reactions: rahad and Paddyjack

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Yes, it's a 2024 signing bonus paid in 9 yrs.

Well no, it's the signing bonuses for year 1,2&7 that are deferred.
He got undeferred bonuses for year 3&8 and no bonus for year 4~6
He got 29.24M in signing bonuses total. 15.67M will be paid when his contract expire (June 30th 2032).

So if he get traded, I'm guessing the deferred payment will be paid by whichever team he was playing for on July 1st of year 1,2&7.

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
He got 29.24M in signing bonuses total. 15.67M will be paid when his contract expire (June 30th 2032).

So if he get traded, I'm guessing the deferred payment will be paid by whichever team he was playing for on July 1st of year 1,2&7.
Yeah. thanks for the details, doesn't change the fact that the deferred money is assigned to an actual year of the contract. The more I think of it, the more I think Jarvis should have had a chat with Swayman before signing this contract.

I'm inclined to think it has more to do with the Canes liquidities than cap management.

Last edited:

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke

So if I understand correctly this will be pretty bad for the team that will try to move him the last year of his contract, like for a rental, as there will be a 15 M$ fee to add?

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
So if I understand correctly this will be pretty bad for the team that will try to move him the last year of his contract, like for a rental, as there will be a 15 M$ fee to add?
No, the team (s) he plays in year 1,2 and 7 are responsible to pay the bonuses in year 9.

Reactions: Paddyjack

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Doesn't he have a NTC Columbus is probably on it.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Anyone taking Gally before his last year is some hopium copium thinking unless we are ready to start attaching 1st round picks.

Straight up? No way.

1st? I'm not so sure that's the cost but I wouldn't be surprised if it was, and in that case better to wait a year or two.

I think a 2nd or 3rd + depth prospect does it, especially with CBJs situation.

Watch KH send Gally & the CBJ 2nd to them for future considerations.

I wouldn't worry all that much about his NTC...

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Should we give them their second back with Anderson? :sarcasm:
The cap dump doesn't even need to be that big, sending them Dvorak would be cheap, but he has a bigger no-trade clause then Anderson (8 vs 5 teams if the info I'm seeing is accurate).

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
The cap dump doesn't even need to be that big, sending them Dvorak would be cheap, but he has a bigger no-trade clause then Anderson (8 vs 5 teams if the info I'm seeing is accurate).
Now that we have Laine, we probably won't dump players at all. We need all hands on deck and to see how the season starts. What if we rack up wins... you can't sell off when you're winning.

Reactions: Paddyjack

Beer and Chips

Feb 5, 2018
Now that we have Laine, we probably won't dump players at all. We need all hands on deck and to see how the season starts. What if we rack up wins... you can't sell off when you're winning.
So you beleive Hughes will allow Dvorak, Armia, and Savard to go to UFA with no return, if mathematically the playoffs are possible?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad