Prospect Info: [2024 - 5th] Ivan Motherbleeping Demidov (RW), SKA St. Petersburg (MHL)

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
Hlinka. Demidov was a year younger. I think skill wise there's no denying Michkov is more skilled. But i've been watching hockey since the mid 80ies and one of the most skilled player to wear a CH uniform was Vladimir Malakhov. Skills is not everything. I think most people would tell you Demidov is the more complete player of the two.

Slafkovski was in the same Hlinka tournament if i remember correctly and did very well. He was older though and not as good as Michkov and about the same as Demidov despite being much older. Slafkovski being drafted 1st overall was almost solely on his wc tournament where he was MILES better than NHL players like Josh Anderson. I rember watching that game Slovakia against Canada and Slafkovski looked like a tier or two above Josh Anderson he made him look like a AHL player.
I deny Michkov is more skilled. Michkov is the better shooter and goal-scorer. But it ends there.

HuGo boss

Apr 7, 2022
The fact something so insignificant can bother you so much only makes me want to say it more lol

The team is run by both Hughes and Gorton.
HuGo ain't going anywhere
Lol I was going to say because something so small bothers them they will fit in perfectly

Reactions: Redux91

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
He’s an awesome prospect but there’s still a long road ahead.
He's of course not a generational McDavid level talent but this is an overcorrection imo. Demidov isn't a "normal" prospect who's going to need another year in Russia, 2 years in the AHL, and then have to work his way up from the third line. If it weren't for the KHL contract he'd be on our opening night roster this October.

Slafkovsky, Kotkaniemi, Galchenyuk, and even guys like Mete/De la Rose were able to make NHL impacts at 18/19. Demidov is significantly more talented than all of them and he'll debut at 19. We don't need to worry about if his game can translate as if he's Joshua Roy or Sean Farrell.
I agree that everyone should temper their expectations.
Honestly no they shouldn't unless they expect him to be McDavid or something. It's OK to be excited about drafting him and there's not really a compelling reason to downplay how good he is. He's going to be in the top six on our opening night roster in 2025 and will never look back.

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
Mtl never had a generational player..never.

Lafleur was an elite player but not generational. Lafleur was an average player past 29 years old.

Look the stats of Lemieux and Wayne past their prime...Lafleur in not on that level at all..

Look at Crosby..what he does at 36.

You are righe about Lindros.. Lindros was a generational prospect and he had an awesome start of his career but not long enough.
this board obviously has a generational irritant.

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Hlinka. Demidov was a year younger. I think skill wise there's no denying Michkov is more skilled. But i've been watching hockey since the mid 80ies and one of the most skilled player to wear a CH uniform was Vladimir Malakhov. Skills is not everything. I think most people would tell you Demidov is the more complete player of the two.

Slafkovski was in the same Hlinka tournament if i remember correctly and did very well. He was older though and not as good as Michkov and about the same as Demidov despite being much older. Slafkovski being drafted 1st overall was almost solely on his wc tournament where he was MILES better than NHL players like Josh Anderson. I rember watching that game Slovakia against Canada and Slafkovski looked like a tier or two above Josh Anderson he made him look like a AHL player.
In fairness Josh Anderson almost always looks like an AHL player

YukonCornelius 5thOA

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
He's of course not a generational McDavid level talent but this is an overcorrection imo. Demidov isn't a "normal" prospect who's going to need another year in Russia, 2 years in the AHL, and then have to work his way up from the third line. If it weren't for the KHL contract he'd be on our opening night roster this October.

Slafkovsky, Kotkaniemi, Galchenyuk, and even guys like Mete/De la Rose were able to make NHL impacts at 18/19. Demidov is significantly more talented than all of them and he'll debut at 19. We don't need to worry about if his game can translate as if he's Joshua Roy or Sean Farrell.

Honestly no they shouldn't unless they expect him to be McDavid or something. It's OK to be excited about drafting him and there's not really a compelling reason to downplay how good he is. He's going to be in the top six on our opening night roster in 2025 and will never look back.
I’ll take your word for it friend!

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Anybody thinking about Demidov at center? He has said that he likes playing center so not sure about how that plays out. Lets say he does play center. What does your forward roster look like now?

Slaf / Demidov / Caufield
Newhook / Suzuki / Dach
Roy / Hage / Beck
Xhekaj / Kapanen / Mesar
Personally if I'm going to try Demidov at Center. I'd put him on the 2nd line with Dach. For one, Slafkovsky and Suzuki have good chemistry. Plus you could rotate Dach and Demidov taking face offs on their strong sides.

As for my roster. I like what you posted, only switching Demidov and Suzuki.

Last edited:

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
Missing a few

Richard
Lafleur
Beliveau
Roy

very close but not generational
Bobby Hull
Marcel Dionne
Martin Brodeur
Chris Pronger
Raymond Bourque
Scott Niedermeyer
Mike Bossy
If Roy is generational then so is Brodeur.

My opinion, I think Hasek is the only true generational goalie. Then Brodeur and Roy in the superstar/franchise/whatever tier.

Not including anyone before the 90s because A) never saw them play and B) position has changed so much

Reactions: crosbyshow

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
If Roy is generational then so is Brodeur.

My opinion, I think Hasek is the only true generational goalie. Then Brodeur and Roy in the superstar/franchise/whatever tier.

Not including anyone before the 90s because A) never saw them play and B) position has changed so much
In Quebec saying that Hasek is the best of those 3 is a possibility of 25 years in jail..

...but Hasek objectively is the best.

What he did with the Sabres with the defensemen that he had is unbelievable

Reactions: HabzSauce

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021

Lafleur was an elite player but not generational. Lafleur was an average player past 29 years old.

Look the stats of Lemieux and Wayne past their prime...Lafleur in not on that level at all..

You are righe about Lindros.. Lindros was a generational prospect and he had an awesome start of his career but not long enough.

Lafleur was damn near generational. He just smoked like a chimney between periods and partied A lot! That’s why by 30 he slowed. He was top of the league at that time

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
Hasek is the goat but Roy was in the same tier. Brodeur was in the second tier.
Roy is the goat come on now! When it counted most ie: the playoffs, Roy was clutch.

He's got 152 career PO wins. That's a record that will never be broken and way ahead of #2 on that list.

I mean 152 wins is 9 cups worth of wins.

4 cups as well and let be honest, he played for some crap Montreal teams during his stint with the Habs!

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Anybody thinking about Demidov at center? He has said that he likes playing center so not sure about how that plays out. Lets say he does play center. What does your forward roster look like now?

Slaf / Demidov / Caufield
Newhook / Suzuki / Dach
Roy / Hage / Beck
Xhekaj / Kapanen / Mesar

I’d rather Dach works at C.

So you obviously recall that devastating purposeful knee on knee to Pat Boutette in Round 1 vs Whalers of 1980 playoffs - with no non invasive knee procedures of that time?

It’s like saying Bobby Orr isn’t generational because his knees were toast by age 27..
I’d also add that players now have training programs, eat well, etc. Lafleur would smoke in between periods lol

Reactions: rahad

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I’d rather Dach works at C.

I’d also add that players now have training programs, eat well, etc. Lafleur would smoke in between periods lol

The stories I've heard from first hand witnesses regarding Radulov are wild and he's a pretty recent player.

Kostitsyn was seen smoking just before the draft. Different outcome in his case.

Reactions: Skip Bayless

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Habs had the NHL's 1st generation, generational player. Newsy Lalonde. After that, a whole shit ton of franchise players. Generational players are just that, players that come along every generation.

Reactions: salbutera

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad