Traded Linus Ullmark traded to OTT for 25th, Kastelic and Korpisalo(25% retained)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Probably, but given the massive goaltending blunders the sens have recently had its probably a good idea for management to see if its a fit before giving them the keys to the city like Dorion did with Murray and Korpisalo.

Maybe, but Ullmark is one of the most consistent good goaltenders in this league. Had a .905 SV% in his worst year on a bottom feeding Sabres team.

Not nearly as risky to extend as Murray or Korpisalo, two of the most inconsistent goalies in the league.

Still I'd say Ullmark is taking more risk waiting to extend. Could be costing himself millions on his next contract if he has a down year by his standards.

Reactions: OttawaSenators11

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Maybe, but Ullmark is one of the most consistent good goaltenders in this league. Had a .905 SV% in his worst year on a bottom feeding Sabres team.

Not nearly as risky to extend as Murray or Korpisalo, two of the most inconsistent goalies in the league.

Still I'd say Ullmark is taking more risk waiting to extend. Could be costing himself millions on his next contract if he has a down year by his standards.
Korpisalo getting that deal was beyond ridiculous. Disaster guaranteed from day 1. Amazing what an outlier UFA season can lead to sometimes. David Clarkson the goalie basically.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
This is his big contract. He will be 32 when it kicks in. He is unlikely to get another big contract after this one.

He is going to come somewhere between 6M to 8M. It just comes down to whether he is seen as something closer to a great starter or an actual superstar goalie.

The big thing is that I could see him wanting a NMC and buyout protection via signing bonuses. Look at the structure of his previous deal.

The interesting thing will be if they take on the risk of going full term to get a lower cap hit, or if they pay him more to get less term. 8.XXM x 5 years vs 6.XXM x 7 or 8 years (if they wait to sign until after the TDL).

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
$3.4 million...wow. Hard to believe there are homes in this city worth that much.

Damn...looking at realtor.ca, there's a good dozen homes in Westboro listed over $2.5 million. That's wild. I know Ottawa has always been fairly white collar with the fed jobs and all, but this definitely isn't the middle class town I remember.

But good for Ullmark and his family. Westboro is a beautiful area. Some of those old tree lined streets were absolutely spectacular before the '98 ice storm. You could walk 2-3 blocks and never have the sun hit you, the trees were so large and covered the whole road. Nice and quiet, good parks. (And lawn bowling is surprisingly fun.)

Reactions: LiseL

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
If Ullmark were to extend right now, I wonder what that deal would look like. 8 years at $8 million?

Maybe he'd accept a lower caphit if we front load it with signing bonuses (c'mon Andlauer)
That's absolutely insane. He won't cost that much. That brings him to 40 and he lost his job last year. Since when do goalies make that much? That's vasi Bob money who have won multiple vezinas and been 60 + game starters for years. There are only so many jobs out there. It's not the same as a position player. There's a reason he cost what he did to acquire.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
That's absolutely insane. He won't cost that much. That brings him to 40 and he lost his job last year. Since when do goalies make that much? That's vasi Bob money who have won multiple vezinas and been 60 + game starters for years. There are only so many jobs out there. It's not the same as a position player. There's a reason he cost what he did to acquire.

Cap is up significantly going forward and he has a Vezina.

I don't know how much he gets and I hope it's less but the way the market is shaping up for goalies, he can get paid for sure in free agency.

Sens don't have much leverage here. He's a UFA and the Sens traded assets to acquire him. This team needs him. He will get paid.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Cap is up significantly going forward and he has a Vezina.

I don't know how much he gets and I hope it's less but the way the market is shaping up for goalies, he can get paid for sure in free agency.

Sens don't have much leverage here. He's a UFA and the Sens traded assets to acquire him. This team needs him. He will get paid.
8 x 8 for a 32 year old is an insane number for a guy that's never played 50 games.

Sure he will get paid but no one is giving him that much. They can't afford that number. Maybe if he wins the vezina again and they go on a run.

Yes he will get paid. Maybe something like. 7 x 6 or something. That's still a ton for a player his age.

$3.4 million...wow. Hard to believe there are homes in this city worth that much.

Damn...looking at realtor.ca, there's a good dozen homes in Westboro listed over $2.5 million. That's wild. I know Ottawa has always been fairly white collar with the fed jobs and all, but this definitely isn't the middle class town I remember.

But good for Ullmark and his family. Westboro is a beautiful area. Some of those old tree lined streets were absolutely spectacular before the '98 ice storm. You could walk 2-3 blocks and never have the sun hit you, the trees were so large and covered the whole road. Nice and quiet, good parks. (And lawn bowling is surprisingly fun.)
You'd be surprised. One just sold on lenester for 3.6. Chabots house is likely worth 5.

Murray had 2 cups and was significantly younger. Literally watched him steal the series from the sens did you forget? Grouping Korpisalo in with him is very strange.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
This high priced home purchase of our super star gaolie makes me feel good....this is a very expensive home and the thought of him keeping it for one year as an investment goes right out the door. There is no room to make money on this home, regardless of how the real estate climate changes. I would think there is something going to happen within the first few months of the season as an extension.
Im not sure about that. Interest rates are about to go on a run of drops. Chabot bought in the mid 3 millions and has over a million in equity built in his home.

I'm glad he bought what and where he did. Great custom home builder, great location. Outside of that crazy foreign buyer tax he will likely make money in the next year. That being said I do think it's an indicator he is considering staying for sure. Couldn't have picked a better location for being a sens player either.

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I must say, it's a bit odd having so many people in here who know where the players live. And 5 mil for Chabot's place...that's insane. Even with a great NHL salary, that's a big expense.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I must say, it's a bit odd having so many people in here who know where the players live. And 5 mil for Chabot's place...that's insane. Even with a great NHL salary, that's a big expense.
Land ownership is a matter of public record, and high profile people owning some of the best properties in town rarely get to live in the shadows, but it's a little weird lol.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Murray had 2 cups and was significantly younger. Literally watched him steal the series from the sens did you forget? Grouping Korpisalo in with him is very strange.

That was in 2017. We extended Murray in 2020 after a .899 SV% season.

For the record I liked the Murray acquisition as a potential buy-low reclamation project, but said at the time the 25M extension was not wise and if it was needed for the trade to happen we should have passed on him.

Reactions: ChurchOfAlfie
Oct 10, 2010
Whatever Ullmark’s price is to “ sign now” the longer we wait surely that prices goes up, especially if he plays elite.

He isn’t Murray or Koprisalo, i would feel super confident signing him long-term now personally if that was possible.

Reactions: LiseL

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He didnt pay that much, thats the rough range its worth now and he is going to make 100 million dollars in his career thats nothing. Actually its a pretty solid investment. His ROI has likely already paid itself off.

Reactions: Icelevel

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I think he'd get $8 million aav on the open market for 7 years. Bobrovsky got $10 million at the age of 30 with similar numbers and hardware in 2019, Hellebuyck just signed for $8.5 million aav with better numbers than Ullmark, Sorokin signed for $8.25, and more and more goalies will have higher caphits given the cap raises. Ullmark coming in at $8 million might just be market value for a goalie with his stats (assuming he maintains his career average).

Ullmark played 40 games last year, he didn't 'lose' his job as much as Boston had the best tandem in the league. They both had identical regular season numbers as well.

Just to be clear, I don't want the Sens to sign him for $8 million aav, but with the way the cap is going, I can totally see some team willing to blow their load to have secure goaltending.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I think he'd get $8 million aav on the open market for 7 years. Bobrovsky got $10 million at the age of 30 with similar numbers and hardware in 2019, Hellebuyck just signed for $8.5 million aav with better numbers than Ullmark, Sorokin signed for $8.25, and more and more goalies will have higher caphits given the cap raises. Ullmark coming in at $8 million might just be market value for a goalie with his stats (assuming he maintains his career average).

Ullmark played 40 games last year, he didn't 'lose' his job as much as Boston had the best tandem in the league. They both had identical regular season numbers as well.

Just to be clear, I don't want the Sens to sign him for $8 million aav, but with the way the cap is going, I can totally see some team willing to blow their load to have secure goaltending.
I dont think so, how many teams need goalies and how many have that cap space. Its not a regular player where there are lots of landing spots. Bobrovsky already had two vezinas and multiple 60 start seasons they are not the same at all. Hellebuyck and Sorokin are younger and way more proven.

He lost his job Swayman started all the playoff games then they traded him.

The list of teams is miniscule that can afford him and need him.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I dont think so, how many teams need goalies and how many have that cap space. Its not a regular player where there are lots of landing spots. Bobrovsky already had two vezinas and multiple 60 start seasons they are not the same at all. Hellebuyck and Sorokin are younger and way more proven.

Ullmark is the type of goalie that teams will create capspace for. If Ullmark just cares about the $ amount, there's plenty of teams that need surefire goaltending that he'd be an upgrade on. Trading away Ullmark won't reduce his value considering Swayman is an elite goalie. Ullmark's sample size in the post season isn't he largest either.

Utah, Buffalo, Detroit, Calgary, CBJ, etc., and there's more teams that would shell out the money because we still have GMs in the league that are running teams in win now mode and won't have to worry about the ramifications of signing Ullmark to a mammoth contract.

Heck, if Ullmark puts up a Vezina calibre season, it's in Ottawa's best interests to sign him to that deal because he'd provide stability in a position we've been missing in several years. I really hope he signs for a deal less than $8 million in Ottawa, just saying I'm not surprised considering the cap is going up.

Reactions: DrEasy

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
They got the donuts? Excellent....

It's crazy that people believe that a 32 year old guy who has yet to demonstrate he's a #1, and has played only 10 playoff games, should be one of the top 5 paid goalies in the league.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It's crazy that people believe that a 32 year old guy who has yet to demonstrate he's a #1, and has played only 10 playoff games, should be one of the top 5 paid goalies in the league.

He's also got a Vezina to his name and among goalies with 100+ games played is only second to Shesterkin in sv% since 2018-19 season when he became an every day NHL'r. Also, for the sake of accuracy, he's 31 not 32,

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
By every metric in the league, Ullmark is a #1. He wouldn't have a vezina if he wasn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad