Traded Linus Ullmark traded to OTT for 25th, Kastelic and Korpisalo(25% retained)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I think there are some banks (like TD and RBC) that operate in both Countries that might have mortgage products that are portable across the border.

It's also worth noting that Ullmark would be a resident so the NRST shouldn't apply.
Well, that article that I posted had a lot of content from RBC, so it appears as if they contributed to the writing of that article.

There’s some large differences between U.S. and Canadian mortgages. The most common (average term) for a U.S. mortgage is 30-years, so the rate is fixed for 30-years and does not change. Hence, when rates were low, a 30-year U.S. mortgage would have been pretty attractive to Canadian home owners.

Yes, I only posted the bit about the Non-Resident Speculation Tax because I found it “interesting”, and not because I thought it would apply to Ullmark. As an “aside”, I am a dual citizen of both Canada & the U.S. and have owned businesses and houses in both countries. I wouldn’t pretend to be an expert on all things as a result, but I suppose I’ve had to become more familiar with some of these things.

I did find this:

Set up a Canadian bank account with RBC Bank

The first step to beginning the mortgage process is to create a Canadian account in your name. Some great banks to consider are RBC Bank and BMO, which specialize in cross-border mortgages for Canadians. While they cannot offer you U.S. mortgages, they may be more familiar with U.S. and Canadian laws that could impact your home purchase.

Last edited:
Reactions: Micklebot

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Well he probably has more term than 1 year. He isnt getting a new one. I think is a positive sign too but I also think there are multiple factors at play.
Whatever mortgage he had in Boston likely would have originally been entered into in the summer, so it's entirely possible that he bought a house in August while playing for Buffalo, ported it to Boston when he got traded, and it came to term this summer or fall, so he just sold, and started a new mortgage in Ottawa,

It's also possible he just renewed last year and still has plenty of term. Who knows...

Reactions: bert

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Well, that article that I posted had a lot of content from RBC, so it appears as if they contributed to the writing of that article.

There’s some large differences between U.S. and Canadian mortgages. The most common (average term) for a U.S. mortgage is 30-years, so the rate is fixed for 30-years and does not change.

I did find this:

Set up a Canadian bank account with RBC Bank

The first step to beginning the mortgage process is to create a Canadian account in your name. Some great banks to consider are RBC Bank and BMO, which specialize in cross-border mortgages for Canadians. While they cannot offer you U.S. mortgages, they may be more familiar with U.S. and Canadian laws that could impact your home purchase.
Interesting,

I found this:

Most U.S. mortgages can be paid off in full or additional payments can be made at any time without penalty.

That seems to make the whole discussion somewhat moot.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Yes, tbat’s true. You can pay off a U.S. mortgage any time you want. In fact, I did this myself long before the 30-year term was up.

My posts weren’t really directed at what Ullmark might or would do. I was just reflecting on whether you could get a U.S. mortgage for a home in Canada. I added a bit more to the post (#901) you quoted fwiw.

Last edited:

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Hoping the house buy means he wants to stay and looking forward to seeing a 35+ win season from him.

Boston's starting goalie potentially being Korpi makes this trade even sweeter

Reactions: LiseL

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Nobody see the picture that said Ullmark arrived in town. I was thinking that he have bought a house but seems a condo

Stutzlaaaa

Dec 18, 2021
This is probably one of the best trade Ottawa did in the last few years. Yes, there is risk that Ulmark don't extend ,if team miss playoff probably. But who cares I would do this trade over and over again we lost a late 1st to get out of Korpisalo contrat and his performance as #1 for a premiere starter in the league ( yes yes he never played over 40 but he defintly can , will if needed) in a crucial year.

If he doesnt like it here fine you flip him at deadline as a rental for a 2nd . Value for Ottawa : 1 year of stability in net + B prospect + not paying and playing Salo for 4 years. With that 2nd they can even try to get a stop gap till they find their guy.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
Buying a house is more encouraging than renting for one year, just saying.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
This is probably one of the best trade Ottawa did in the last few years. Yes, there is risk that Ulmark don't extend ,if team miss playoff probably. But who cares I would do this trade over and over again we lost a late 1st to get out of Korpisalo contrat and his performance as #1 for a premiere starter in the league ( yes yes he never played over 40 but he defintly can , will if needed) in a crucial year.

If he doesnt like it here fine you flip him at deadline as a rental for a 2nd . Value for Ottawa : 1 year of stability in net + B prospect + not paying and playing Salo for 4 years. With that 2nd they can even try to get a stop gap till they find their guy.

The way I see it is that if you told people it would cost the Boston 1st to dump Korpisalo @ 3Mx4Y they would have said that's fair value.

So even if Ullmark walks at the end of the season and we lose him for nothing, the marginal cost is minimal.

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad