Prospect Info: [2024 - 5th] Ivan Motherbleeping Demidov (RW), SKA St. Petersburg (MHL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Next Best Thing

Oct 31, 2022
Yep. He's an asshole. There's enough smoke out there regarding his character and attitude in the room to know the Habs didn't pass on him because they thought Reinbacher was a more talented player. Michkov's talented level is off the charts no question, but the Habs probably knew better than any team in that draft what kind of guy Michkov is and they still passed on him.

Pretty telling that they didn't want anything to do with the guy in that draft and then come out this past draft and have a collective orgasm over the Demidov pick.
He'll fit right in with Philly 🤫

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
I’m so stoked. Laine is a game changer and Dach has the potential to be one. Sometimes it’s just about putting players in the right situations and watching them thrive. Give them time to gel together and hopefully they can form some chemistry. They’re 2nd and 3rd picks so the talent is there. Add Slaf and you have a 1-2-3 line!
I am pretty excited by what I saw of Dach last seasons two games, and the tail end of the season before.

Yep. He's an asshole. There's enough smoke out there regarding his character and attitude in the room to know the Habs didn't pass on him because they thought Reinbacher was a more talented player. Michkov's talented level is off the charts no question, but the Habs probably knew better than any team in that draft what kind of guy Michkov is and they still passed on him.

Pretty telling that they didn't want anything to do with the guy in that draft and then come out this past draft and have a collective orgasm over the Demidov pick.
Pretty telling to see where he went in the draft.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
For me it is still a mystery why SKA decided to let Michkov go to NHL even he had still a valid contract for two more seasons. Did Flyers payed them a huge ransom ? is Michkov such a bad teamate ? The kid is supposed to be the second best young player in the World behind Celibrini. Why not keep him and use him to win games, give a good show, etc… ?

And now, they might try very hard to have Demidov sign a long term contract for the coming seasons…..

I don't understand it either and haven't gotten a satisfying answer up to now. What's even stranger is SKA, in their statement, said they were going to loan him once again. I didn't think he looked anywhere near as good as Bedard last year, but if he comes in and plays really well, that decision by SKA will make no sense at all.

This isn't rocket science.

Michkov bought out his contract with eventual help from the Flyer$. But KHL laws stipulate 1 and 1/2 years notice must be given in advance, so Rotenberg knew as far back as 2022-23 that Michkov wasn't gonna honor his deal. It's very different with Demidov - who is honoring his contract but not re-signing.

Would the Habs want a player on the roster who is actively nullifying his contract half-way through in order to play elsewhere? Would fans? I dunno.
And SKA's statement of "we want him to chase his dream" is lip-service for Russian public consumption. They're framing themselves as the good guys in justifying why one of the country's mega elite prospects is leaving early.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think this was the luck we needed. Hitting on potentially the best player in the draft with the 5th pick. No offense to Celebrini but Demidov has a fair chance at being just as good or better.

I remember being worried about Demidov's size but that is not a concern anymore. If he continues to add muscle in the right areas, this kid will be a Star and a type of star that doesn't shy away from the physical stuff.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I think this was the luck we needed. Hitting on potentially the best player in the draft with the 5th pick. No offense to Celebrini but Demidov has a fair chance at being just as good or better.

I remember being worried about Demidov's size but that is not a concern anymore. If he continues to add muscle in the right areas, this kid will be a Star and a type of star that doesn't shy away from the physical stuff.
If he is indeed Kaprizov level talent or better, imagine adding Kaprizov to this lineup as is.

My lord.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If he is indeed Kaprizov level talent or better, imagine adding Kaprizov to this lineup as is.

My lord.

Yeah, I really liked what we had before this summer and adding both Demidov and Hage made it very attractive. Those reports out there who rank teams for prospect pools and don't have the Habs top 3, are trolls! This pool has both quantity and quality. An argument could have been made we lacked quality before this summer but that can't be said anymore.

If Demidov is a top line star, this is exactly what we needed. I really like the Hage pick too. With his father passing away, that kid has lots to prove and I think his focus will be in a direct path to the NHL with minimal distractions holding him back.

Reactions: waitin425

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad