Roster Building XX: How Many Patents Does Your GM Have?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
Skjei just never made sense given we would have 12-14m wrapped up in two top 4 LHD signed into their late - mid 30s with Nikishin on the horizon. I get the whole win now and figure it out later/guys can always play their off side argument but it really just never made sense to me from a long term planning aspect. He was always going to be a non retained self rental IMO.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Skjei just never made sense given we would have 12-14m wrapped up in two top 4 LHD signed into their late - mid 30s with Nikishin on the horizon. I get the whole win now and figure it out later/guys can always play their off side argument but it really just never made sense to me from a long term planning aspect. He was always going to be a non retained self rental IMO.
I dont know about that, one of the national reporters dont remember which one said something about him taking a discount to stay. The Borg has always prioritized value of contracts over pretty much everything else. If Skjei does in fact take a discount to stay I dont think they would be to worried about how much is wrapped up in a position.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Well I definitely didn’t want him to go, and we’re definitely between a rock and a hard place by next year for D. I do believe that he’s the type of dman to age reasonably well.

And yet, signing him to an extension for 8 years when he’ll be 31 before it starts is an interesting situation. I don’t know if he’s just been fighting off some injuries the last couple of years, I’ve been hesitating to say he’s slowing down because he’s young enough to come back healthy next year and look like three or four years ago. I don’t believe it’s a discount, I think the most he was going to get on the market was maybe 7 for shorter term. Defensive dmen don’t get that much usually. Of course it’ll look like less money in time.

As amazing as he’s been I’m torn on whether or not I would’ve done this. I said that a couple of years ago when we first started talking about this, I thought by the time the moment came around I’d fall on one side or the other….nope. Still torn. Glad to not watch him play for someone else though.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC

The only way that Skjei makes any sense to re-sign is Orlov-style. 2×8.

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
The only way that Skjei makes any sense to re-sign is Orlov-style. 2×8.
Even then that would leave us with a Skjei-Morrow pairing which i’m not sure would be worth it, to me I’ve always expected last year’s third pairing to move up a pair and bring in a 3rd pair LHD vet to babysit Morrow. People found that underwhelming when I brought it up previously but I think it’s the most realistic and sensible move for the defense especially if the back end savings for 24-25 can really help us spend the dough and properly rebuild up top for the present and future.

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
Where is the room for Pesce? If he comes back I guess you could a move Chatfield to his offside with Morrow and go Orlov-Pesce? Doesn’t really seem like a good fit or something we’d do. If we brought him back you’re really hoping Morrow breaks out into a first pairing quality guy sooner than later with Pesce and Chatfield as your other two RHD for the next three years.

Slavin - Burns
Orlov - Chatfield
Vet - Morrow

That means 25-26 you can roll

Slavin - X
Nikishin - Chatfield
Vet - Morrow

This gives the front office a full year to evaluate Morrow as well as target any premium RHD they think would be a good Burns replacement. A lot could change over the course of a year and I’d rather not sign an underwhelming contract when the turnaround to a well balanced, young leaning, and star studded D corps could be on the horizon fairly quickly.

htdoc

Oct 30, 2018
Re: Morrow…..

To give the Borg max cap flexibility, the #6 spot as RHD is Morrow’s to lose. We need 2-3 entry level deals and/or cheaper vet contracts on the third pair and extra 7th dman in the press box to allow for enough salary cap space elsewhere to make a splash on the forwards. You want Morrow to play meaningful minutes (3rd pair very sheltered minutes in 5v5 and then a PP line position to boost his minutes and production overall… basically the dman version of how we used Noesen the last couple seasons) or he needs to be in the minors playing 25 min a night developing so he can take a prominent role in another season or two…

Morrow needs to be back here in Raleigh working out with Slavin and everyone here as hard as he can learning our systems and working with the strength and conditioning guys as much of this summer as possible if he wants to have a shot of earning that roster spot…

If the Borg is all in on Morrow having a guaranteed spot, then I think we are trying to sign a 1-2 year deal with a couple bottom pair left d or bottom pair dmen that can play both sides to rotate or fight for the #5 spot alongside Morrow or sit in the press box as the extra d…. And you want a more stay at home guy who isn’t as concerned with putting up points to try to cover for Morrows inevitable gaffs and bad pinches, etc etc etc…Someone that can play up in an injury situation without killing us, but can play well with a less pressured role in lower pair….

A few to look at in UFA if they make it to the open market without being re signed by their existing clubs or traded etc…

- Brenden Dillon (may want too much $$ for role and likely wants a bit too much term but will be more reasonable term than some of the big ones looking to cash in like Skjei,Pesce, walker, DeMelo from his same team, etc… but if we don’t intend to keep Orlov past this next year and we do see Nikishin show up and be as advertised, then a 3 year deal may be fine given his current age to play the bridge between things if things don’t perfectly line up timing wise)
- Ekman - Larson
-kulikov
- tj Brodie - looked done and hurt too much - but might take a flyer and cheap deal to play smaller market for a cup to have different experience than the media hell of Toronto
- Forbort

If we don’t expect to hand the spot to Morrow, then we likely do something completely different.. going to be an interesting next couple weeks…..

Reactions: DaveG

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Where is the room for Pesce? If he comes back I guess you could a move Chatfield to his offside with Morrow and go Orlov-Pesce? Doesn’t really seem like a good fit or something we’d do. If we brought him back you’re really hoping Morrow breaks out into a first pairing quality guy sooner than later with Pesce and Chatfield as your other two RHD for the next three years.

Slavin - Burns
Orlov - Chatfield
Vet - Morrow

That means 25-26 you can roll

Slavin - X
Nikishin - Chatfield
Vet - Morrow

This gives the front office a full year to evaluate Morrow as well as target any premium RHD they think would be a good Burns replacement. A lot could change over the course of a year and I’d rather not sign an underwhelming contract when the turnaround to a well balanced, young leaning, and star studded D corps could be on the horizon fairly quickly.
I’d add that there are a couple of other young d-men in the system that could be ready in two years.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
This upcoming season, Fensoe, Honka, Heimosalmi, Nystrom, Legault, and Seeley will all be over here. I don't know if we even have an ECHL affiliate in the works now that Norfolk is in the wind. But I can't see them all in Chicago.

However, that doesn't include the 3 Russians (Nikishin, Grudinin, Pelevin) and who knows about 2 out of 3 of those. It also doesn't include Simon Forsmark who I'm pretty high on (and I think I've read somewhere that the organization is too, but can't be sure). So it's not like the cupboard is bare.

Given that this draft is allegedly known for the plethora of pretty good to good defenders, I look for a couple of picks on the blue line at this year's draft. Plus, Nystrom, Forsmark, and Heimosalmi have all be playing with men for at least a season.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Inspired by PLD / Kuemper, how about KK / Demko trade. Lol

This upcoming season, Fensoe, Honka, Heimosalmi, Nystrom, Legault, and Seeley will all be over here. I don't know if we even have an ECHL affiliate in the works now that Norfolk is in the wind. But I can't see them all in Chicago.

However, that doesn't include the 3 Russians (Nikishin, Grudinin, Pelevin) and who knows about 2 out of 3 of those. It also doesn't include Simon Forsmark who I'm pretty high on (and I think I've read somewhere that the organization is too, but can't be sure). So it's not like the cupboard is bare.

Given that this draft is allegedly known for the plethora of pretty good to good defenders, I look for a couple of picks on the blue line at this year's draft. Plus, Nystrom, Forsmark, and Heimosalmi have all be playing with men for at least a season.
Didn't Checkers/Florida just drop Gville and went with Savannah?

We could opt for Gville?

Reactions: WreckingCrew
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad