Roster Building XX: How Many Patents Does Your GM Have?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
I just can't see Morrow having a guaranteed spot. At all. We need to see him with some time in the AHL first, it's incredibly rare for NCAA defensemen to transition right to the NHL. I think we'll have several rookie forwards for the flexibility, but I think we'll bring Pesce back if we at all can.
Hate it or not, TDA 1year contract makes sense too

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
They were rumored to be interested in Sean Walker, not sure if the Chatfield signing changes that. I could see them signing him over Roy. Walker would likely come in under $5M for maybe 3-4yrs.

I don’t see how they can adequately replace the loss of Guentzel, Necas and Teravainen up front without Morrow as a full time NHL’r or other D on an ELC/league min, but they’ve pulled decent replacements out of nowhere before (DeAngelo and Burns) so who knows.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
I just can't see Morrow having a guaranteed spot. At all. We need to see him with some time in the AHL first, it's incredibly rare for NCAA defensemen to transition right to the NHL. I think we'll have several rookie forwards for the flexibility, but I think we'll bring Pesce back if we at all can.

IF the Borg is targeting a spot for Morrow on the Canes next year I believe it will be as part of a plan which starts him out in Chicago and then calls him up after at least a month or so in the AHL. Canes would need someone who could at least tread water in that spot until he was called up.

I've mentioned before how much both Slavin and Pesce said that their very brief time in the AHL helped in their transition to the NHL. And we've seen, both here and around the league, how counterproductive it can be to rush a prospect into the NHL without appropriate development time.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
IF the Borg is targeting a spot for Morrow on the Canes next year I believe it will be as part of a plan which starts him out in Chicago and then calls him up after at least a month or so in the AHL. Canes would need someone who could at least tread water in that spot until he was called up.

I've mentioned before how much both Slavin and Pesce said that their very brief time in the AHL helped in their transition to the NHL. And we've seen, both here and around the league, how counterproductive it can be to rush a prospect into the NHL without appropriate development time.
Hanifin & Lindholm obviously...Kakko & Laf for the Rags struggled because of that (Laf at least is starting to put it together). Hell our KK would probably be better if MTL hadn't rushed him straight to the NHL. Yakupov is a prime example of a guy who wasn't getting good/any coaching and it killed his career.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Hanifin & Lindholm obviously...Kakko & Laf for the Rags struggled because of that (Laf at least is starting to put it together). Hell our KK would probably be better if MTL hadn't rushed him straight to the NHL. Yakupov is a prime example of a guy who wasn't getting good/any coaching and it killed his career.
Skinner was supposed to be sent down to round out his game but he kept scoring too much.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Defense is a truly difficult position to play in the NHL and many prospects better defensively than Morrow is have taken years to adjust. Those guys didn’t play for RBA. It’s a tough ask. I don’t think they’ll ask it, but obviously it’s possible.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Nobody on an RBA coached team is guaranteed a spot on the roster. That said, I do believe they will give him every chance to make the team. Just no guarantees....
I've mentioned before how much both Slavin and Pesce said that their very brief time in the AHL helped in their transition to the NHL.
First, let me say that I agree Scott Morrow would likely benefit from time in the AHL We know how hard it is for vets to figure out our system. Still, he didn't look totally out of place this Spring....yes, he had a brain fart or two, but he wasn't Coghlin level of bad.

Also, I do recall Slavin and Pesce's comments about the AHL. That said, Pesce played 7 AHL games over 2 seasons and Slavin played 14. In those guys cases, they were just very good and very smart....in addition to any benefit received in Charlotte.

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
I think Rod needs to be tested this season with roster diversity.

Guentzel - Aho - Jarvis
Nadeau - Kuzy - Laine
1718914914783.png

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Isn’t there a rule we could match and we have to wait a year before we can trade them? It was that way at one point. Matching would kick the issue down the road for a year, then we could trade him if the two sides really couldn’t work it out.

Downside being if we do need to trade him a year later and he’s underperformed we’ll be stuck with him for years. I’d think we wouldn’t match unless it’s an Aho kind of sheet.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Yea and then he’s stuck here for at least another season not sure I see him signing one although Carolina may not match and take the picks but I doubt it
Unless someone goes 9+ plus for 1 season, we likely match

Isn’t there a rule we could match and we have to wait a year before we can trade them? It was that way at one point. Matching would kick the issue down the road for a year, then we could trade him if the two sides really couldn’t work it out.

Downside being if we do need to trade him a year later and he’s underperformed we’ll be stuck with him for years. I’d think we wouldn’t match unless it’s an Aho kind of sheet.
Yes, a match means you can’t trade for 1 year

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Necas risking an offer sheet seems weird. We could just match

Scratch that. They would match it short of a lottery team putting up a 1x9 and risking unprotected high 1sts and 2nds. Don't these teams understand why the Canes so frequently like to hold a bunch of cap space until the last minute?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Unless someone goes 9+ plus for 1 season, we likely match

Yes, a match means you can’t trade for 1 year
I think we’re bluffing a bit about trying to get him to stay. I don’t think we believe he’s a good fit, and we know that a trade actually benefits both sides the most. We just want to put up as good a front as possible that this is a valuable player “we didn’t want to lose so you must pry him from us”. We know he’s probably going to light it up a bit wherever he goes so we’re keeping the price high.

That’s something different from paying him 9 a year for seven years or whatever ridiculous thing he signs just so a team doesn’t poach us. A year into a seven year bad deal (if he doesn’t perform for us) takes him from talk of the town to Lucic really quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad