Roster Building XX: How Many Patents Does Your GM Have?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015

Go ahead Montreal. Sign him to an offer sheet and give up an unprotected 2025 1st.
Honestly I could totally see a team doing a 1 year Jesperi like offer sheet on Necas. Someone offers Necas 1 year @ $8m, that's going to put us in a very tough spot to match.

Allows Necas to go straight to UFA after 1 year, with our cap situation being pretty rough this season $8m hurts, and only getting a 1st, 2nd, & 3rd in what is supposed to be a weak 2025 draft would be disappointing.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Honestly I could totally see a team doing a 1 year Jesperi like offer sheet on Necas. Someone offers Necas 1 year @ $8m, that's going to put us in a very tough spot to match.

Allows Necas to go straight to UFA after 1 year, with our cap situation being pretty rough this season $8m hurts, and only getting a 1st, 2nd, & 3rd in what is supposed to be a weak 2025 draft would be disappointing.

Necas has 2 years before UFA, not 1. Also, because the Canes are unafraid to walk good players on July 1st if they have to, they'll have plenty of space to match any offer sheet.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Necas has 2 years before UFA, not 1. Also, because the Canes are unafraid to walk good players on July 1st if they have to, they'll have plenty of space to match any offer sheet.
We'll have the cap space for sure. But I don't think Necas @8m on this Canes team is the best use of cap space and I could see the Borg feeling that way too.

Reactions: Tryamw and cptjeff

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
We'll have the cap space for sure. But I don't think Necas @8m on this Canes team is the best use of cap space and I could see the Borg feeling that way too.

If it comes to that, I bet the decision will be made based on who is making the offer sheet and how high their 1st rounder is likely to be. If the compensation isn't good value, they will match.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
Correct me if I'm wrong but if the Canes file for arbitration Necas can't sign an offer sheet, or an I wrong about that?
He can, there is a window for the player to try and get an offersheer prior the arbitration procedures start in earnest.

CBA 12.3 (a):
A Player subject to a Club-elected salary arbitration pursuant to this Section 12.3(a) shall remain eligible to negotiate and sign an Offer Sheet with any other Club pursuant to Section 10.3 of this Agreement by no later than 5:00 p.m. New York time on July 5 immediately following the Club's election of salary arbitration. For further clarity, if a Club has elected salary arbitration on a Player pursuant to this Section 12.3(a), and such Player signs an Offer Sheet by no later than 5:00 p.m. New York time on July 5 immediately following the Club's election of salary arbitration, the Club's rights under this Section 12.3 shall be void ab initio and the Club's rights shall instead be governed by Section 10.3 of this Agreement.

Reactions: DaveG

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
The first window for club elected arb is before july 1st
Yes, but the player is a RFA after July 1 even if taken to the salary arbitration by the club and isn't going to get completely screwed off his RFA rights, so there's special stipulations in the CBA which I posted above in late.

Should the player sign an offersheet within that 5 day window, the salary arbitration procedure will lapse and things will proceed according to the offersheet procedure.

Reactions: DaveG and Chrispy

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Correct me if I'm wrong but if the Canes file for arbitration Necas can't sign an offer sheet, or an I wrong about that?
There is a small window where he could sign an offer sheet:

Teams can take players to arbitration, to a maximum of 2 Team Elections per year.

If a player made $2.23M or more in the last season, the Arbitration award must be 85% of their previous season pay or more. If the team elects arbitration, the player can still sign an offer sheet with another team prior to July 5 at 5pm, which would negate the team elected arbitration. The Team must elect the arbitration by 5pm on the later of June 15 or 48 hours after the Stanley Cup Finals ends.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
IMG_3649.png

Buffalo?

Reactions: Tryamw and Daeavorn

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I would not match a $8m offer sheet for Necas. He simply ain't anywhere close to an $8m player. I take the picks and run on that one- an unprotected first from Montreal is worth a lot, and then I use the cap space to get Guentzel back at whatever price he wants.
While true, he was near 8 million in value for 22-23 and 8 million is going to be the 3rd best winger on a team price in about 2 seasons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad