Speculation: Laine on the move again? (Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwissMountaineer

Mar 13, 2019
Actually TBL is the only team where Laine would really fit - as far as his playing style goes. Tampa rules the game on their PP; very skilled guys standing around playing with the puck, and scoring on one-timers. For anything else in his current form, his pretty much useless. There he could hammer those 50 goals per season.

The downside is, in CBJ it became obvious that Laine can't actually play hockey, his just a big guy with his trick-shot. Way too slow, and his agility sucks, reallyreally sucks in defence. He looks almost like he is having a terrible backpain all the time on the ice.

But potential is there, lots and lots of potential. Having said that, he is not 20 anymore.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
for me the competition in the east that year was way too stiff . i had like 4 teams rated better than cbj . then there was all the futures he could have gotten for panarin and bobby when he knew they werent re-signing and it just made me totally against his logic

And they swept one of the "4 teams you had rated better than CBJ"

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
Actually TBL is the only team where Laine would really fit - as far as his playing style goes. Tampa rules the game on their PP; very skilled guys standing around playing with the puck, and scoring on one-timers. For anything else in his current form, his pretty much useless. There he could hammer those 50 goals per season.

The downside is, in CBJ it became obvious that Laine can't actually play hockey, his just a big guy with his trick-shot. Way too slow, and his agility sucks, reallyreally sucks in defence. He looks almost like he is having a terrible backpain all the time on the ice.

But potential is there, lots and lots of potential. Having said that, he is not 20 anymore.
Send that bum back to Mestis where he belongs. :sarcasm:

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
––The downside is, in CBJ it became obvious that Laine can't actually play hockey, his just a big guy with his trick-shot. Way too slow, and his agility sucks, reallyreally sucks in defence. He looks almost like he is having a terrible backpain all the time on the ice.

There might be something to the bolded. Laine had a disastrous second half of the season after he scored 15 goals in November a couple of seasons ago, and he was a shell of himself because he was playing with a bad back.

The first and only game for the Jets this season, Laine was flying out there, battling and making plays, and was the best player on the ice. Then he allegedly had a back injury and hasn't looked like the player we saw in the season opener. Worth pointing out is that Laine's world class wrister became noticeably weaker the season he played with a back injury.

If it's a back issue, I sure hope that he takes the time to get it fixed, with surgery if required.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
CBJ are in a hard spot with Laine. His value has tanked and GM are obviously going to low ball them.

It's rather obvious that Laine is an excellent complimentary player, but can't drive play himself and
has effort issue. Also, it's doubtful that CBJ will be able to find a center that can unlock Laine's production, so his value will remain low next season. A productive Laine is fun to watch, so hopefully I'm wrong and it works out.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I have no doubt they are trying. Laine was one of those players I never would have placed on a Torts coached team. I have no idea what management was thinking when they traded PLD for him. It will go down as one of the worst trades the CB franchise ever made.

I don't think Laine is a deal that gets done mid season. I do see him being moved in the offseason though. There is no future for him in CB. Said it before and I'll say it again, I see him in a sunbelt city where he can work on his tan.

Reactions: NyQuil

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Doesnt have anything to do with the new divisions atleast? Canada-cup in the north is not exactly a defensive powerhouse...
there is a lot of factors of why they are having great seasons saying it's because they arn't playing with laine is just a lazy argument

Reactions: Bruce Granville

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
I don't disagree but this team has no snipers! With Laine needing $7.5 as a QO we need the cheaper options as well.
We got cap up the wazoo, holtz can be the cheap option. I don’t think CBJ do this without getting a goal scoring type player back

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Id love Laine on the Devils but I don't see what could be dealt that would work for both teams.
Devils have no available C.
Nico - signed for 8 years, just named captain. No way i can see the Devils offer him up.
Hughes - Has not reached potential yet. He is generating tons of offence. I cannot see the Devils moving him now. I view this as an overpayment.
Zacha - not a good enough piece as a main piece. Best C we have that we could offer.

2021 1st (Devils) , 2021 1st (islanders), Foote , Zacha ?

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
If they actually move him, it just goes to show how much NHL GMs actually know. Everyone on here knew that Tortorella and Laine was a match made in hell except for Jarmo apparently.

Its not that simple, Dubois had to be traded and Laine was probably best value he could get. GM's think trades as assets not so much if they are fit or not. Even Jarmo knew it would be nosense he made it because you can swap Laine to something else later.

Reactions: Toe Pick
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad