Official 2024 NHL Draft Thread

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Is it a foregone conclusion that Columbus exercises the right to defer the transfer of the 2nd round pick owed to the Flyers to 2025?

The only ways they don't, IMO, are if either Waddell thinks they're going to somehow be worse next year, or if he has his heart set on offer sheeting someone who's going to cost them their 2025 1, 2, and 3, and I think we all know how common offer sheets in that range are.

(That said, if I was in his shoes, I would think long and hard about taking that pick back and offer sheeting Swayman at a price that would make Boston very uncomfortable.)

Reactions: Petr Svoboda Mullet

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Chicago needs a top end defenseman for the future. They won't be drafting this high again for a long time.
Anaheim needs a top end defender as well since they traded away their best young defenseman in the Gauthier deal.
Columbus has come out and stated that Lindstrom is their pick. They want to build their club up the middle. No one knows if Lindstrom's back situation changes their plan.
Montreal wants Iginla.
Utah's management took the top defensemen in this draft out for dinner after the combine. They've pretty much telegraphed that their pick will be one of them. Most likely Dickinson or Buium.
At this point it's up to the Senators and Flyers to make the deal for Demidov. Farabee will probably be the guy to go along with #12. Again, there may be more to this deal but the Flyers have a shot at getting it done.

A lot of assumptions there. Specifically at the top of the draft like I was saying. If it goes C D D for the top 3 we have a shot to get Demidov if we trade with Ottawa

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
The only ways they don't, IMO, are if either Waddell thinks they're going to somehow be worse next year, or if he has his heart set on offer sheeting someone who's going to cost them their 2025 1, 2, and 3, and I think we all know how common offer sheets in that range are.

(That said, if I was in his shoes, I would think long and hard about taking that pick back and offer sheeting Swayman at a price that would make Boston very uncomfortable.)
or, if Columbus internally thinks much more highly of next year's draft and would rather have the option of having a 2nd rounder next year as part of their pool of assets.

I mean, it's not like this draft is considered an all-timer by pretty much anyone. For all we know, Columbus could view it as having an extreme drop-off after, say, the first 25 players. That early 2nd in their eyes could be viewed like a late 2nd/early 3rd in a stronger draft.

ponder719

Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
or, if Columbus internally thinks much more highly of next year's draft and would rather have the option of having a 2nd rounder next year as part of their pool of assets.

I mean, it's not like this draft is considered an all-timer by pretty much anyone. For all we know, Columbus could view it as having an extreme drop-off after, say, the first 25 players. That early 2nd in their eyes could be viewed like a late 2nd/early 3rd in a stronger draft.

I suppose that's possible, but it's received wisdom (certainly in football, the exact dropoff might not be the same in hockey) that a pick in the current draft is worth a pick a round higher in the next draft, because you're getting that extra year of development under your belt, among other factors. It generally takes something more than just "this is a weak draft, that is a strong draft" to overcome that factor, especially since you know you're talking about #36 this year, which is very, very hard to do better than; it's not like we're looking at #56, where there's a lot of room for this to look like a terrible decision this time next year.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I suppose that's possible, but it's received wisdom (certainly in football, the exact dropoff might not be the same in hockey) that a pick in the current draft is worth a pick a round higher in the next draft, because you're getting that extra year of development under your belt, among other factors. It generally takes something more than just "this is a weak draft, that is a strong draft" to overcome that factor, especially since you know you're talking about #36 this year, which is very, very hard to do better than; it's not like we're looking at #56, where there's a lot of room for this to look like a terrible decision this time next year.
Is there a deadline for this decision to be made or do they just have until that pick is up? It's like four days away haha.

ponder719

Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Is there a deadline for this decision to be made or do they just have until that pick is up? It's like four days away haha.

Per the Flyers announcement, CBJ must inform the Flyers upon the completion of the first round.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

Per the Flyers announcement, CBJ must inform the Flyers upon the completion of the first round.
Dang, that's tricky. Would be nice to use that as a chip to move up to from second round back in to the 1st. If I'm CBJ even if I'm not keeping it I am waiting until the round is over to tell them.

ponder719

Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Dang, that's tricky. Would be nice to use that as a chip to move up to from second round back in to the 1st. If I'm CBJ even if I'm not keeping it I am waiting until the round is over to tell them.

Yeah, the only way we get that certainty any earlier is to execute a side deal with them where part of the return is the removal of the condition.

Reactions: DrinkFightFlyers

Wangstar

Apr 2, 2023
Even if Columbus does better in 24-25, i would rather get their 25, 2nd. It’s a much better draft. And 2 1sts and 3 2nds in that draft creates a lot of flexibility for us

smokey

Oct 24, 2016
Helsinki
Funny how the juggernaut Bruins managed to trade themselves into a top10 pick and maybe a top6 C. Seems like something a struggling team like the flyers should've done.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
Funny how the juggernaut Bruins managed to trade themselves into a top10 pick and maybe a top6 C. Seems like something a struggling team like the flyers should've done.
Boston got their own 1st back in the Ullmark trade, not pick 7. Kastelic has a career high of 11 points in 60+ games and is 25 years old. Unless there’s a different trade?

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
If they aren't trading up and no one unexpected falls to 12 I would like to see the Flyers come away with Helenius and Eiserman. Don't care who is taken at 12 and I am going to assume a trade up would be needed for the other.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
McKenzie’s rankings are the best summation of what the league thinks, but we still have to remember that consensus doesn’t slot players. The draft is a measure of which bet a team is highest on given the available board. It doesn’t matter if 95% teams have Silayev at 4. What determines where he goes is a tiny handful of teams’ opinions.

With that being said, Demidov at 2 is interesting because Michkov was down at 5th last year. I can’t help but find that meaningful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad