Around the NHL 2023-24 - Offseason

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
Overall

Gritsyuk wasnt rush by Devils organisation, they were happy with his development in Russia. He is under control because he is Russian. Its only Russian prospects with immortal rights. Gavrus was Devils prospect I think until his 28-29 years. He literally said by himself that he will sign two years deal and will join his NA team. He was pretty interested in his career, talked about it many times. He is 5th round pick so even if he will never play in NA - he still has pretty great career for 5th rounder, but he will try himself because he already achieved a lot of money, his contract status helps him to minimize his ELC period. He is good skater and can battle for the puck - at least in KHL, Gusev couldnt skate and battle for the puck.

Everything what was going on with Gritsyuk is great for Devils fan because for 5th rounder he developed greatly. He isnt Kaprizov level player, but like I said many times - he is hockey player with talents. He still has some questions but even with them he is working hard and now in the last play off he won some puck battles against 6'3+ defensemen. And he is very valuable for Devils because he can be 40-50 or even more points NHL ready player for free.

In case of scaring to draft players like Michkov - yeah. MTL are freaking idiots. They believed in their story and listened their idiot Bobrov(or how this turds name is, there are enough stupid russians, its not prerogative for brits, americans and splitheads only, every nation has quite similar proportions of stupids) who was popular for his Kravtsov and Andersson picks for rangers. And look at them now - they didnt draft near generational talent because they were afraid for his character and his deal. Now he is moving to NHL and it looks like he will play more NHL games than poor guy Reinbacher. And from every game I saw and every interview I listened I know that the only character issue of Michkov is his desire to win. What a boy, never saw such an issue with competitive top talents.

Teams were afraid to draft Yurov? Great. Guadana said that he is NHL top-6 center in the future and look what he did? He will join Wild soon and even there were rumors about Wild ready to trade Rossi. Very interesting why.

But yeah. lets trade Gritsyuk because 5th rounder is losing his value.
Ill just say to the last part that I didnt say I want him traded because he is losing his value; just that teams sometimes, and maybe us, move guys like him because they still have value higher than what he may give to us as a player when we are a more packed middle-6

Gusev got two 2nds i think? I could be misremembering - but with each year a foreign player gets older its a year further that teams may see less development left

If Gritsyuk in a deal nets us a player with term, or someone we are likely to sign, then so be it. But I wouldnt move him for a rental

Either way - as a Devil or just a prospect in a trade - Gritsyuk has done well to raise his value to this point

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
So we shouldnt worry about the value he gets back (or gives us) because he was a 5th round pick? I dont necessarily agree with that - sure Im not going to be up in arms if he busts or we end up moving him as a minor piece in a deal; but hes earned more than his original 5th round valuation

And most of them being undrafted sort of negates the point (though I dont remember insinuating he couldnt come over and play right away. Just that maybe a year or two in the A would do good). Whats the list of drafted Russians who were held onto by the same team until they were 24-25? And how did they do? I imagine the list would be a bit shorter out of the later rounds.. maybe 10 or so in the last how long?

If he comes over next year like is expected then great - lets see how he does. If Fitzgerald happens to fill in some roster spots with middle-6 guys then Idk where hes going to fit.

Hed have to be pretty good as a rookie to stick on a team trying to contend now. He wont get nearly as much leniency as other prospects have (nor will any other prospect we have going forward)
Sorry, but I will not repeat myself. You should study pro experienced players more. If Gritsyuk will not ready to play in NHL - AHL will not help. Thinking about prospects from the trade value point is a wrong way of thinking about building the contender.
Try to think about building the contender with post deadline addition of talented depth player. Again - if Fitz will add more players - it’s a good problem. As for Gritsyuk, as for more players.

Ill just say to the last part that I didnt say I want him traded because he is losing his value; just that teams sometimes, and maybe us, move guys like him because they still have value higher than what he may give to us as a player when we are a more packed middle-6

Gusev got two 2nds i think? I could be misremembering - but with each year a foreign player gets older its a year further that teams may see less development left

If Gritsyuk in a deal nets us a player with term, or someone we are likely to sign, then so be it. But I wouldnt move him for a rental

Either way - as a Devil or just a prospect in a trade - Gritsyuk has done well to raise his value to this point
Or he can be much better.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

I don't know in what reality you think the Devils are going to have a more packed middle six. Palat and Haula are aging out of being middle-six players and Holtz isn't going to last in this organization. There's going to be plenty of openings here in the next few seasons.

Gritsyuk has extremely limited trade value but that doesn't matter for the Devils' purposes - they need wingers and Gritsyuk can be one of those.

Also absolutely no idea what this discussion is doing in this thread.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
A number of players have taken the path to the NHL Gritsyuk is on currently, where they remain in the KHL until they are approaching or even in their primes. Kaprizov and Panarin get the press for this path, but it has happened plenty of other times as well. The value of that initial year where they are typically playing on an ELC or very minimal contract but providing a 2nd or 3rd line level player is tremendous to a competitive team. If you knew anything about gritsyuk you would know that he's a fairly safe bet to be that level of player and every organization competing for the playoffs will take that value for one season rather than trying to maximize a return on a trade asset that likely isn't all that valuable anyway. Get the great value year for yourself and then trade him when it's time to pay up if that's what it comes to.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
A number of players have taken the path to the NHL Gritsyuk is on currently, where they remain in the KHL until they are approaching or even in their primes. Kaprizov and Panarin get the press for this path, but it has happened plenty of other times as well. The value of that initial year where they are typically playing on an ELC or very minimal contract but providing a 2nd or 3rd line level player is tremendous to a competitive team. If you knew anything about gritsyuk you would know that he's a fairly safe bet to be that level of player and every organization competing for the playoffs will take that value for one season rather than trying to maximize a return on a trade asset that likely isn't all that valuable anyway. Get the great value year for yourself and then trade him when it's time to pay up if that's what it comes to.
1719245363939.png

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Agreed, but let's take the Devil discussion out of THIS thread going forward like Triumph said.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
Arguing with a Russian who is an expert on Russian players plus knows more about grits more than anyone else on this forum is hilarious to me 😂

Go Guadana!
So just because the player and person are Russian nobody but a Russian hockey expert can discuss them?

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
Nice strawman buddy. That isnt what I said at all.
But its implied, no?

If hes the Russian hockey expert - than his opinion on any Russian player cant be contested by anyone but another Russian hockey expert

So when he talks do the tides just open a clear path to the end of the conversation? Lol

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
But its implied, no?

If hes the Russian hockey expert - than his opinion on any Russian player cant be contested by anyone but another Russian hockey expert

So when he talks do the tides just open a clear path to the end of the conversation? Lol
It's not just that. The poster you're arguing with has a long and proven track record of being extremely knowledgeable about both European and North America prospects. You're new around here so you're not expected to know that, but generally if Guadana says something about a player's likeliness to transition effectively to the NHL, most around here are going to be inclined to believe him. That doesn't mean you can't disagree, but it means you should probably consider the argument carefully before making up your mind.

This is not the right thread to discuss Gristyuk and the Devils specifically, but I outlined my thoughts on that above. Suggest taking that to the team chat if you want to continue talking about the merits of that specific situation.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
this was generous to include every Russian drafted since 2000 who started at 24 or older (Gritsyuk's age next year). Should be just later round picks but thats a tiny pool

2000 - Maxim Sushinsky - rookie at 26, 30 GP

2004 Alexei Yemelin - rookie at 24, 456 GP
2004 Nikita Nikitin - rookie at 24, 259 GP

2012 Nikita Gusev - rookie at 27 - 97 GP
2012 Nikolai Prokhorkin - rookie at 26, 43 GP

2015 Vladislav Gavrikov - rookie at 24, 353 GP+

Thats the list so far, with a few more names Im sure in maybe a Nikishin from Carolina or some lower end guys (maybe even Gritsyuk from New Jersey!)

So it'd seem close to 90% or more of the Russian players who have made a career for themselves after age 23 since the turn of the century were undrafted...

and so I hope Fitzgerald gets the best value out of this - however that ends up

хорошего дня

It's not just that. The poster you're arguing with has a long and proven track record of being extremely knowledgeable about both European and North America prospects. You're new around here so you're not expected to know that, but generally if Guadana says something about a player's likeliness to transition effectively to the NHL, most around here are going to be inclined to believe him. That doesn't mean you can't disagree, but it means you should probably consider the argument carefully before making up your mind.

This is not the right thread to discuss Gristyuk and the Devils specifically, but I outlined my thoughts on that above. Suggest taking that to the team chat if you want to continue talking about the merits of that specific situation.
Seems im out of my element supposedly so Ill just bow out now that I finished the 'around the NHL' part of the conversation

(Though no part of the conversation at hand since the beginning required any level of Russian expertise; seems to just be bias. As is evident by the list above)

Last edited:

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I'm guessing Boston said "look, Swayman is the starter, either waive for Ottawa or be the backup" and Ullmark agreed knowing he'll start for 1 year and walk as UFA this year.

I'm guessing they give Boston back their 1st this year plus maybe a C level prospect.

Reactions: Rhodes 81
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad