Around the NHL 2023-24 - Offseason

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Triumph, listen, You are intelligent guy. You should understand. Im saying it without sarcasm or condescension. Winning Stanley Cup isnt the only one target for NHL team. Some teams want to sell the product. Often winning isnt for everyone, its about huge effort, smart managing and a lot of luck. A lot of luck. In different planes of the business. Health, game luck, trades, free agents, draft, lottery, even finding right coach for the right players in the right time, taxes etc.
Josi and Forsberg are franchise players. Still they drafted fine. So I believe they are okay to have competent team, try to win more play off game and than make a fast and less aggressive rebuild. Josi and Forsberg are mostly targets for winning now teams, who dont have good prospects or high picks. So its not like they will cash on them really. In the same time they can lose much more money.
I'm not saying you're wrong here, sometimes teams do have to take off-ice market into account (i.e. Columbus when they went desperately all in just to finally make the playoffs and win a round after two decades of junk, the Isles going all-in with Lou after two decades of mostly irrelevance), but Nashville's been mostly competitive for two decades and seemingly has built a nice little hockey market there, if they don't think they can survive a three or so years of rebuilding then they're just like a Canadian franchise needlessly chasing its own tail in the pursuit of relevance.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I'm not saying you're wrong here, sometimes teams do have to take off-ice market into account (i.e. Columbus when they went desperately all in just to finally make the playoffs and win a round after two decades of junk, the Isles going all-in with Lou after two decades of mostly irrelevance), but Nashville's been mostly competitive for two decades and seemingly has built a nice little hockey market there, if they don't think they can survive a three or so years of rebuilding then they're just like a Canadian franchise needlessly chasing its own tail in the pursuit of relevance.
I don't know. Different owners have different targets, different metrics and plans. Looks like they don't wanna go full rebuild. Of course I don't see how they can win in today circumstances, but I can understand how they can try to win a couple of rounds on the goalie shoulders.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Again reading this board most are scoffing at the contract he signed with the typical age and price for goalie so what package are they realistically going to get back for help NOW ? Markstrom brought back a meh defender and a first next year. Not many teams are in a position to give top talent out for a goalie and then give goalie that contract

Yet people think Nashville could’ve got a kings ransom. I’m going to assume they shopped him and the packages were extremely meh. If that’s the case they made the right choice keeping him
They could have easily gotten the Ullmark package plus from Ottawa, hell he's actually slightly younger than Ullmark. A first-rounder this year isn't nothing, you can use it to draft help for your younger goalie or trade for more immediate help possibly.

More than that it's just cap you're locking up when you already have a #11 overall pick invested in what was supposed to be your future stud. Not only do they not get any assets for either goalie but they're wasting their #11 overall as a glorified backup for years, not a great use of an almost top ten pick.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Triumph, listen, You are intelligent guy. You should understand. Im saying it without sarcasm or condescension. Winning Stanley Cup isnt the only one target for NHL team. Some teams want to sell the product. Often winning isnt for everyone, its about huge effort, smart managing and a lot of luck. A lot of luck. In different planes of the business. Health, game luck, trades, free agents, draft, lottery, even finding right coach for the right players in the right time, taxes etc.
Josi and Forsberg are franchise players. Still they drafted fine. So I believe they are okay to have competent team, try to win more play off game and than make a fast and less aggressive rebuild. Josi and Forsberg are mostly targets for winning now teams, who dont have good prospects or high picks. So its not like they will cash on them really. In the same time they can lose much more money.

I'm not a Cup or bust guy, but Nashville is setting themselves up to be decent. Yes, not every franchise can win a Stanley Cup, but I don't regard not winning it all as some monumental failure - the Sharks of the 2010s were a great team but just couldn't get it done. Not every great team can win one. Not aspiring to someday be great, though, that's something I can't understand. Josi and Forsberg are excellent players but they are likely past their primes, and so is too much of Nashville's roster.

So yeah, Nashville's set up to be a good to middle of the road team for the next decade. Finishing 10th to 20th best. That's nice, but I don't think I'd feel good about that if I were a Nashville fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad