Value of: Lafreniere Offer Sheet (1 year at $6.4M)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Habs were 5th last in the NHL with historic injuries. If not for those injuries, we would have picked 8-12 range. Add the one year of growth from our youth and I have us in the 8-16 range with our pick.

It's not far off from the Romanov+ for 13th for Dach trade. Would you have more faith in Lafreniere today vs where Dach was before last season?

Risky yes. But the Habs will be in the mix of that bottom 8-16 range IMO. I think we are going to be moving up, not down.
You think you are better than most teams? I seethrm in top 8 next year before the lottery

Reactions: Bluenotes27

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
Habs were 2-1 against the Sabres last year. And no, I don't live in the past.

I'm saying 8-16 range as the pick. Recipe for success is making the playoffs but that's not my prediction.
Leafs were 24 of 30 when they essentially offer sheeted Kessel. They were moving up and had a better team in the following year, but fell to where Boston drafted 2OA and got Seguin. A few key injuries and Montreal could easily be a lottery team. It's not worth the risk for them, but I think the Rangers would let him go at a $6M cap hit.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Rangers match anything at or below the 2nd round pick threshold, and tbh i don't see Montreal being better than anyone except maybe Philadelphia in the East this year. The only team worse than them last year, Columbus, was legitimately a hospital ward. I don't think it works out.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You think you are better than most teams? I seethrm in top 8 next year before the lottery

I don't think we are better than most teams. A pick from 8-16 is not better than most teams. I don't think the Habs would have had the 5th pick if we didn't have all those injuries last year. I think our pick in this past draft would have been 8-12 range if the injuries didn't pile up like it did. Expecting that to happen again and also for our youth to not improve is not probable. It was about 1/3 of the season when the injuries started to pile up and we were floating around a .500 record at that point.

A lot of different things can happen. I don't see the Habs in the bottom 5 again. More like 6-12 or 8-16 will be our pick. And the other angle is does Lafreniere show his potential next year like Dach did this past year. I guess most fans are deflated on Lafreniere and are not expecting him to break out at all. If you think that, then the risks/rewards don't make sense.

I get it, a potential lottery pick. This to me is about the potential of who that guy will be with the pick and how that compares to Lafreniere from age 22+. I personally believe in Lafreniere like I did with Dach and I like how he fits inbetween Suzuki and Reinbacher which is a 6 year age core gap. I get how some do not have faith in Lafreniere.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
New York would pop the champagne if they could get Montreal’s 1st for Lafreniere. The value isn’t even close.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
New York would pop the champagne if they could get Montreal’s 1st for Lafreniere. The value isn’t even close.

That's because you don't believe in Lafreniere from age 22+ which would be fair if you believe that. I personally believe in him like I did with Dach before last season.

Probability of Lafreniere turning into a top 6F from age 22+
vs
Probability of where the Habs picks ends up and if that prospect is better than Lafreniere.

Would not give up a 1st for him and how so you fit $6.4M under the cap anyways?

Habs have around $8.8M in cap space with Price on LTIR.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
It has nothing to do with language. This is about believing in Lafreniere next season like we did with Dach before last season.

This is a risks/rewards conversation.
Really? The team that insists on francophonics is suddenly impartial about obtaining a sub-par Franco project prospect.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
Do the Rangers match? 1st and 3rd is the compensation.

What pick do we think the Habs will have for the 2024 draft? 5-16 range? Seems like a similar cost to what we paid to acquire Dach to me. Basically a KK type offer sheet and a handshake deal on what the extension. I find that part tricky because if he breaks out, he won't take $4.82M for 8 years.

Risk/Rewards are tricky on this one.

Also, would other fans consider this move?
I know this gif had been used a lot but it describes this post 100%
giphy-12.gif

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
That's because you don't believe in Lafreniere from age 22+ which would be fair if you believe that. I personally believe in him like I did with Dach before last season.

vs
Probability of where the Habs picks ends up and if that prospect is better than Lafreniere.

I still would not give up a top 5 first, which the Habs pick will be, for him. He has shown nothing so far in his career. And the cap space after Price is $6.9M so this contract would eat almost all of it up.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014

vs

Dach is a vastly superior skater to Lafreniere, a better passer, and just as physical. Lafreniere has a better shot, but no ability to create space and get it off. You made a good trade for Dach. This isn’t that.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Really? The team that insists on francophonics is suddenly impartial about obtaining a sub-par Franco project prospect.

Yes really. This is a similar situation to the Dach trade. Not exactly the same because the pick is not known. It's not a language search

I still would not give up a top 5 first, which the Habs pick will be, for him. He has shown nothing so far in his career. And the cap space after Price is $6.9M so this contract would eat almost all of it up.

I don't believe it's a top 5 pick though. So we are at different points with the predictions.

I know this gif had been used a lot but it describes this post 100%
View attachment 728352

Just your normal HF trade idea bud. I can handle the nit pickers

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
And then if he puts in a decent year up with us, he will request over 7 following year for 40 points. This is just a bad post.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Dach is a vastly superior skater to Lafreniere, a better passer, and just as physical. Lafreniere has a better shot, but no ability to create space and get it off. You made a good trade for Dach. This isn’t that.

I'll give you credit for actually providing context into the difference between Lafreneire and Dach. Others have weak context for the most part.

Let see how it ages. Where the Habs pick is, who that guy is, and how does Lafreniere perform from age 22+

Said it before and will say it again. I'm 50/50 on this idea but because I am active and trying to talk about context, the nit picker fans will think I'm 100% drooling over making this offer.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
Lol that would be abysmal. The rangers would give you Laf for your 1st alone gladly.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
Yes really. This is a similar situation to the Dach trade. Not exactly the same because the pick is not known. It's not a language search
This has zero similarities to Dach trade. The pick could be a top 5 pick easy next year. What if it became a lottery pick? Not only that. Dach was not awarded 7 million just like that. You think this sets up a good team dynamic and players then demanding more. Shit I would, if some 30 point player got paid 7 million.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
And then if he puts in a decent year up with us, he will request over 7 following year for 40 points. This is just a bad post.

No, the idea here is the KK offer sheet with an agreed extension and I bet you the Canes/KK had several numbers pre agreed on based on his performance.

It's not a blind offer of just the one year.

This has zero similarities to Dach trade. The pick could be a top 5 pick easy next year. What if it became a lottery pick? Not only that. Dach was not awarded 7 million just like that. You think this sets up a good team dynamic and players then demanding more. Shit I would, if some 30 point player got paid 7 million.

Could be but I don't believe so. I think the Habs pick this past draft would have been 8-12 range if not for the injuries. About 1/3 of the season, we were floating around .500 before the injuries started to pile up.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
No, the idea here is the KK offer sheet with an agreed extension and I bet you the Canes/KK had several numbers pre agreed on based on his performance.

Thats because KK sucked ass and they still over paid him by huge amount at the time of signing.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
It has nothing to do with language. This is about believing in Lafreniere next season like we did with Dach before last season.

This is a risks/rewards conversation.
Your team hired Dominic Dusharme for a reason. It’s not because he’s a great coach. There’s a xenophobic directive of the team. And it’s seriously f***ing up your growth. But keep on pretending it doesn’t exist.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012

Could be but I don't believe so. I think the Habs pick this past draft would have been 8-12 range if not for the injuries. About 1/3 of the season, we were floating around .500 before the injuries started to pile up.
Or I believe career AHLer's played way over their heads for a roster spot and job last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad