Value of: Lafreniere Offer Sheet (1 year at $6.4M)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Aho type offer sheet that gets matched and pointless. Habs don't own our 2nd as well.

Not how I see it. Habs pick projects to be 8-16 range and Dach cost Romaonv/13th pick.

Yeah but it's
1) The ceiling of that team if all goes good
2) An unprotected first

At the draft, I'm on board to trade a mid first for a Lafreniere type project
1 year prior? That's a bet too risky for my likings

MarioLeMoose

Jul 15, 2022
This would have real potential to be worse than Drouin/Sergachev. The Habs pick MAY be in the 8-16 range, sure, but it is also just as likely (if not more likely) that the pick is better. If you wanted to trade a guaranteed 8-16 for an extended Laf, then maybe it’s worth a discussion, but to offer up an unprotected pick is just an absolute disaster waiting to happen.

Kaiden Ghoul

Youppi va t’il devoir chauser ses patins calvaince
Jan 19, 2020
I have our pick somewhere in the 8-16 range. If not for all the injuries last year, we would have had a pick in the 8-12 range this past draft. :nod:.

Totally understand the risk but we are better than 5th last. It's not the true indication of where we are.

Dunno man, its .depend of our G and we still have a lot of young player on D

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
A ridiculous overpay on a contract, and giving up assets more valuable than he is himself?!?!?

I really feel sorry for Habs fans and this French/Canadian influence.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think offer sheets should be used more but why is it always fans of bottom dwellers that want to make them? Your first rounders are worth 10x more? Why don't we hear offer sheet proposals from Avs and Leafs fans?

Reactions: LavalPhantom

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Not sure but we will be in that mix. Neither of them are sure shots to be ahead of us. The biggest question with the Habs is do we stay healthy. Last year was a massive amount of injuries.

In terms or risks to the 1st... 5th vs 13th in this past draft was Reinbacher vs Benson. In an apparent deep draft.

You really think you are close to Buffalo?

Montreal is pretty easily the least talented team in the Atlantic, maybe coaching gives you a chance to finish ahead of Ottawa, & even that’s a maybe.

So you are more likely looking at giving up a top5 pick to Rangers than 10-13

pickles555

Jun 5, 2023
Don't think he would take a one year deal,

Don't think he wants to be on a bottom team,

I also don't think he is worth a first round pick,

Reactions: Fatass

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I have our pick somewhere in the 8-16 range. If not for all the injuries last year, we would have had a pick in the 8-12 range this past draft. :nod:.

Totally understand the risk but we are better than 5th last. It's not the true indication of where we are.
name the teams that definitely finish below the habs.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Montreal is pretty easily the least talented team in the Atlantic, maybe coaching gives you a chance to finish ahead of Ottawa, & even that’s a maybe.

Already answered that question. We finished 5th last but with a lot of injuries. Our guys on D were mostly rookies. If not for the injuries, I think we finish in the bottom 8-12 range. That's not a reach. That's 6-10 wins in the difference over 7 months. It's closer than you realize. 1 win / month ish.

I'm not expecting playoffs but I do expect a pick in the 8-16 range. I don't agree with you that we stay in the bottom 5 that long. I also don't think you understand what happened to us last year.

name the teams that definitely finish below the habs.

I don't play that game. I used too though. There are a lot of variables to this and it's unpredictable to list teams in order like that. All I will say is we finished 5th last with a lot of injuries to key assets. If the injures happen again, it might be a bottom 5 finish again yes but expecting that amount of injuries again is not probable.

Bookmark it. Habs pick will be from 8-16 range.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Dunno man, its .depend of our G and we still have a lot of young player on D

I really like how Monty improved over and over again since we acquired him. He was a huge piece for team Canada at the WC too. Allen got 42 games last year and Monty got 40. I expect the split to be more like 55/27 in favor of Monty this year.

D was young. You are bringing up good context others have failed to mention. They are still young but I expect them to be even better than what they were last year. Matheson is a bit of a wild card in that mix and for our PP. Not many realize he had 28 pts with 7 goals in 34 games (Jan 17th to end of season). Savard is Savard. Guhle in a full season will surprise people. Barron & Harris should be at least as good as they were last year.

Up front, Suzuki and Caufield are who they are and they still stand to improve. The wild cards are Dach, Slaf, Monahan, Anderson, RHP, Newhook.

I don't expect playoffs but I do expect less injuries which would mean a better finish than 5th last. I comfortable saying our pick will be 8-16 range. Wide range but expecting the Habs to be bottom 5 again is a reach.

Don't think he would take a one year deal,

Don't think he wants to be on a bottom team,

I also don't think he is worth a first round pick,

I don't think the Rangers match either

Would the Habs actually do it? Probably not but it's not an automatic no for me. Something worth pondering about.

I do think Lafreniere would take that deal. He would get tons of higher usage in Montreal with MSL.

Reactions: Kaiden Ghoul

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I think offer sheets should be used more but why is it always fans of bottom dwellers that want to make them? Your first rounders are worth 10x more? Why don't we hear offer sheet proposals from Avs and Leafs fans?
Competitive teams have less cap space. Usually they also have homegrown RFAs to sign as well. They want some space to add pieces at the deadline.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Also, Habs were 2-1 against the Sabres last year (head/head). Sens, Wings, Sabres are not teams I would peg as sure shot teams ahead of us.

This is how I see it.
* Canes, Rangers, Lightning, Leafs are in
* Panthers and Devils are also likely in
* Pens and Islanders are likely ahead of the Caps & Bruins.
* Habs are in the mix with the Sabres, Sens, Wings and also the Caps and Bruins.

Could be the 8th pick or could be the 16th pick. I do expect us to be in that range. Difference in talent from 5 to 13 was Reinbacher vs Benson in the last "deep" draft.

We traded Romaonv for 13th for Dach. I see this as a similar move.... if we believe in Lafreniere as much as we did with Dach before last season.

Ahh okay so no qualifying offer and he can just sign any contract they offer?

The idea is exactly what the Canes did with KK. Both offer sheet and extention. Might not be a 8 year extension but something around what KK got.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad