Value of: Lafreniere Offer Sheet (1 year at $6.4M)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Do the Rangers match? 1st and 3rd is the compensation.

What pick do we think the Habs will have for the 2024 draft? 5-16 range? Seems like a similar cost to what we paid to acquire Dach to me. Basically a KK type offer sheet and a handshake deal on what the extension. I find that part tricky because if he breaks out, he won't take $4.82M for 8 years.

Risk/Rewards are tricky on this one.

Also, would other fans consider this move?

Last edited:

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
Rangers would not match but that's a dumb move on MTL's part. They aren't going to be good next year so that 1st could end up pretty high. Do it in the $4.2 range for 2-3 years for the lower compensation slot and see if Rangers match that. Still think they pass.
I think they would match that and then pay to get rid of goodrow

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
6.4 miiliom?

ktso1.gif

Yeah naw

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Montreal is looking to be the worst team in the Atlantic and about bottom 2-3 in the East so that would sound awfully risky

Habs were 5th last in the NHL with historic injuries. If not for those injuries, we would have picked 8-12 range. Add the one year of growth from our youth and I have us in the 8-16 range with our pick.

It's not far off from the Romanov+ for 13th for Dach trade. Would you have more faith in Lafreniere today vs where Dach was before last season?

Risky yes. But the Habs will be in the mix of that bottom 8-16 range IMO. I think we are going to be moving up, not down.

• Haha
Reactions: zeeto

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Rangers would not match but that's a dumb move on MTL's part. They aren't going to be good next year so that 1st could end up pretty high. Do it in the $4.2 range for 2-3 years for the lower compensation slot and see if Rangers match that. Still think they pass.

I have our pick somewhere in the 8-16 range. If not for all the injuries last year, we would have had a pick in the 8-12 range this past draft. :nod:.

Totally understand the risk but we are better than 5th last. It's not the true indication of where we are.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't think the Rangers would match that.

I don't think they would either. Not drooling to make that move as a Habs fan but it does make me think. Could be a similar cost to what we paid to get Dach last off season.

Canes were the ones who were brilliant in showing us how to do an offer sheet correctly.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Habs were 5th last in the NHL with historic injuries. If not for those injuries, we would have picked 8-12 range. Add the one year of growth from our youth and I have us in the 8-16 range with our pick.

It's not far off from the Romanov+ for 13th for Dach trade. Would you have more faith in Lafreniere today vs where Dach was before last season?

Risky yes. But the Habs will be in the mix of that bottom 8-16 range IMO. I think we are going to be moving up, not down.

So which of Detroit/Ottawa/Buffalo are you going to be better than?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I wouldn't do this if I were the Habs. Un less they are really dying to have a somewhat marketable QC player.

It has nothing to do with language. Lafreniere has the same potential as Dach before last season

1 year 4.2 million for a 2nd round. Anything more and I don't think it's good value.

Never become a player agent.

Habs don't own our 2nd and the point of doing an offersheet is trying to make it work. Not one where the Canes match the Aho contract quite easily.

Rangers match that offer sheet at $4.2M

• Haha

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
So which of Detroit/Ottawa/Buffalo are you going to be better than?

Not sure but we will be in that mix. Neither of them are sure shots to be ahead of us. The biggest question with the Habs is do we stay healthy. Last year was a massive amount of injuries.

In terms or risks to the 1st... 5th vs 13th in this past draft was Reinbacher vs Benson. In an apparent deep draft.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
It has nothing to do with language. Lafreniere has the same potential as Dach before last season

Habs don't own our 2nd and the point of doing an offersheet is trying to make it work. Not one where the Canes match the Aho contract quite easily.

Rangers match that offer sheet at $4.2M

I would not do a 1st and 3rd for Laf. If the Rangers sign it they sign it. Sounds like Montreal isn't a match then.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Negotiating a contract if he breaks out isnt the issue

The issue is giving away an awfully good pick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad