Value of: Lafreniere Offer Sheet (1 year at $6.4M)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
It's entirely possible Hughes offered Drury those two picks, he said no so he pivoted to Newhook.

But now why is Montreal offer sheeting Lafreniere, when they're desperately trying to get rid of guys like hoffman and Armia - while Gallagher is broken and on a horrendous contract that has 4 more years?

Habs have too many forwards, too many wingers and even if they considered Lafreniere as a reclamation project, there'd need to be 3 or 4 other trades / corresponding moves for this to happen.

narrator: it's not happening

Zarao71

Jul 19, 2021
Nobody is trading a barely tested 21 year old number 1 pick for a mid round first.
It's not like the guy isn't already an NHL'r. Please

Nikki Potnick

Aug 26, 2020
Where the sun don't shine
I actually wanted Montreal to win the 2020 lottery because I thought it would be cool for Montreal to have that hometown star. But man, it's a good thing it didn't happen. One could only imagine the shitstorm around Lafreniere had he been drafted by them and his underwhelming performance thus far.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I, and I’m sure many other people, hope you are incredibly wrong.

This coming draft, we need a top 3 pick.

What we want, what we need, and what we get are 3 different conversations. I hope I'm wrong too but we finished 5th last with all those injuries. Probability tells me we move up slightly if the injuries are more normal and remember, we have youth improving so there are gains there too.

So yeah, I see our pick in the 6-12 or 8-16 range. Wide ranges but that's where I see is landing. Another top 5 pick? Hopefully that is due to injuries because if not, that means our youth is not that good.

Reactions: HabsAddict

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I actually wanted Montreal to win the 2020 lottery because I thought it would be cool for Montreal to have that hometown star. But man, it's a good thing it didn't happen. One could only imagine the shitstorm around Lafreniere had he been drafted by them and his underwhelming performance thus far.
He would likely have done better in Montreal. If he was a Bergevin favorite he would have got lots of ice time with decent players to prove himself. If not he would have improved with MSL and be much farther ahead than he is.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
Yeah this is bad for everyone mentioned here. Buffalo or Nashville (a bubble team with aspirations and cap space) doing this makes a little more sense but also this is not the guy you do this with. For Laf if you have this offer you take it in a heartbeat because you'll be UFA the year after because no one is qualifying him if it goes south (which he hasn't given much reason for a team to believe he is a $6M player) and at least you are UFA after.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
They probably wouldn’t be able to trade him for unprotected picks at this point. Rangers wouldn’t match. He hasn’t shown anything to be worth that and that just makes his qualifying offer higher which might f*** the rangers down the road. They would take those picks and just hope Laf and Montreal still struggle and would have potential to be highway robbery of a trade.

I’m sure if Montreal really wants him they could work out a deal better for both sides than that.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
Offer sheet of 6.4 will mean a qualifying offer of 6.4 too. Seems a bit short sighted. Would be a lot better to just offer a first for him.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
The job of whoever offered it and 4-5 years of having to work their way back up to NHL management in the A or the K.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think the Habs should do this.

Would the Jets trade our 2nd rounder back to us? Any interest in Ylonen who is NHL ready. Got good size, skating, shot and development has been solid. A former early 2nd rounder. Jets could use a NHL ready RW from what I see.

Ylonen and a B add maybe. Then we offer sheet Lafreneire for $4.2M and that cost a 2nd.

Offer sheet of 6.4 will mean a qualifying offer of 6.4 too. Seems a bit short sighted. Would be a lot better to just offer a first for him.

Not much different than what the Canes did with Kotkaniemi. If the offer sheet happens, there would be no doubt agreements on what the extension would be after the 1 year.

Risks/Rewards. You either believe in Lafreniere or you don't.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
They probably wouldn’t be able to trade him for unprotected picks at this point. Rangers wouldn’t match. He hasn’t shown anything to be worth that and that just makes his qualifying offer higher which might f*** the rangers down the road. They would take those picks and just hope Laf and Montreal still struggle and would have potential to be highway robbery of a trade.

I’m sure if Montreal really wants him they could work out a deal better for both sides than that.

Like what? Habs avoid the 24 1st but would would be a better deal? Rangers might ask for Slaf or Guhle then. That's a NO from the Habs.

Habs trade offer might be Ylonen, Harris, and the Avs 2nd. Rangers probably say no. If there is a trade, I bet the Rangers would prefer someone who was drafted 5-20 range and is either still on their ELC or a value bridge. Rangers have $2.2M in cap space left so they would target someone in the NHL but under $2.2M.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
narrator: it's not happening

99.9% of the stuff we talk about on HF boards doesn't happen.

I wonder the comments if someone posted a Romanov/13th/Dach 3 way trade last season. Bet you the nit pick fans out there would be out in full force.

In a way, the move could make sense for both teams: Montreal takes yet another gamble on an underwhelming-so-far 1st rounder fitting its emeging core - and New York, on the Habs spiraling down in the standings to fetch a top-10 pick next summer.

From this perspective, the Habs would have no alternative but send a 1 year 6.4M OS; they lack their own 2nd to offer less and the Rangers would easily match any OS that doesn’t include at least an unprotected 1st anyways.

Besides waiving the possibility of another top-10 pick next year, it would also entail the Habs giving a lot of bargaining power to Lafrenière afterwards; to say nothing of the risk of rules circumventing if the latter signs an affordable long term contract next January. Highly unlikely the Habs go that route.

As for the Rangers, as long as Lafrenière is RFA, they can bridge him and wait to see if his production eventually explodes; no incentive to move him while his value is at a all time low.

In summary, the Rangers shouldn’t necessarily be preoccupied by the Habs - and most bottom-dwellers for that matter - targeting Lafrenière, but they could be quite vulnerable if a GM expecting to draft in the #20+ range next summer makes such a bold NBA-ish move!

Lafreniere probably will not take $2.2M or less in AAV (even for one season)... which is the Rangers cap space with a 22 man roster right now.

Rangers could do one year at $3M and go with a 21 man roster. That would be tight but I think it would fit.

ML16

Aug 28, 2020
Montreal

I wonder the comments if someone posted a Romanov/13th/Dach 3 way trade last season. Bet you the nit pick fans out there would be out in full force.

Lafreniere probably will not take $2.2M or less in AAV (even for one season)... which is the Rangers cap space with a 22 man roster right now.

Rangers could do one year at $3M and go with a 21 man roster. That would be tight but I think it would fit.

Indeed, a 21-roster template - and inevitable injuries throughout the season - should be enough for the Rangers to squeeze Lafrenière under the cap.

And with the cap rising around 4M next year, they should have some leeeway as well. But once Miller, Kakko and Lafrenière bridge windows close, around offseason 2025, the Rangers will have have some tough choices to make.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal

lighten up Francis. I'm kidding, and far from a nit pick fan.
I sometimes point out proposals that are divorced from reality -
which is different than speculation
Unknown-1.jpeg

Attachments

• Unknown-1.jpeg
    Unknown-1.jpeg
    4.4 KB · Views: 2

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

If they signed him for $3m they'd have to go to a 21-man roster, but they aren't limited to $2.2m to fit him on a 22-man roster. If they sign him for $2.6m and send down Mackey (which will happen regardless), they have $375k left. Not enough to make any roster moves, but enough to bank some space as the year progresses and provide flexibility to not worry about Pitlick's $787,500 vs Cuylle's $828,333 (as an example).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad