Value of: Lafreniere Offer Sheet (1 year at $6.4M)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It would be beyond stupid for the Habs to offer that money and loose a high first and second.

Laffy value is a late 1st so any contender can take that risk.

Interesting part would be for the Habs to offer their their 1st and 2nd for a package of Laffy and Schneider. Rangers get a likely top 5 and early 2nd. Habs accelerate their rrebuilding and if Laffy is a bust, well, it's part of the risk.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
It would be beyond stupid for the Habs to offer that money and loose a high first and second.

Laffy value is a late 1st so any contender can take that risk.

Interesting part would be for the Habs to offer their their 1st and 2nd for a package of Laffy and Schneider. Rangers get a likely top 5 and early 2nd. Habs accelerate their rrebuilding and if Laffy is a bust, well, it's part of the risk.
Why would the Rangers do that? Are they rebuilding?

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dach was a better bet, for a lower price.

In addition, the uncertainty of the Habs being a lotto team is something that wasn't true with the Romanov/13th pick/Dach swap.

I don't think it's fair to equate the two.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
too biz to go thru all pages of this now

to answer yr ? ^ yes Rs match lower #;
prob match higher # IF they reasonably believe they have a deal to flip him after

atm, Oil could put best package for him imo
will address this when I have time
If you match an offer sheet you can’t trade the player for a year

Reactions: Weltschmerz

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Why would the Rangers do that? Are they rebuilding?
If a contender OSs him, the return would be a late 1st and 2nd. Habs offer of a potential top 5 would hold far more value. That's why Habs wouldn't do it just for Laffy.

The question is how do you work on an equal value of a low 1st.

Or nothing...

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Your team hired Dominic Dusharme for a reason. It’s not because he’s a great coach. There’s a xenophobic directive of the team. And it’s seriously f***ing up your growth. But keep on pretending it doesn’t exist.

He has won a QMJHL championship, a Memorial Cup, a World Junior gold medal and in his only stint as a head coach in the NHL, he led his team to the Stanley Cup Final, then today the reigning Stanley Cup champs hired him an Assistant coach.

I don't deny the Canadiens have a serious issue with the hiring of their coaches and management because of language, but you couldn't have picked a worse example. Ducharme had a terrific resume before he was hired and it had nothing to do with the language he speaks.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
No team that even has a chance of finishing bottom ten should be entertaining offer sheeting him or any player for that matter. Cap is king these days and ELC are gold especially with top picks.
Of course Ranger fans won't agree but Laffys current value is low 1st. At best a low mid 1st from a team that has high hopes for him.

No one in the top 10 picks is going to trade their 1st for Laffy.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
The problem is the example. Success or failure. Tying yourself to one
He has won a QMJHL championship, a Memorial Cup, a World Junior gold medal and in his only stint as a head coach in the NHL, he led his team to the Stanley Cup Final, then today the reigning Stanley Cup champs hired him an Assistant coach.

I don't deny the Canadiens have a serious issue with the hiring of their coaches and management because of language, but you couldn't have picked a worse example. Ducharme had a terrific resume before he was hired and it had nothing to do with the language he speaks.
ok. Ducharme was a great hire for the Canadiens. Much of their success is because of him.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
The problem is the example. Success or failure. Tying yourself to one

ok. Ducharme was a great hire for the Canadiens. Much of their success is because of him.

So rather than admit you're wrong, you make a fictional argument where I was claiming Ducharme was a great hire and much of their success is because of him?

What are you, 12?

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Salaries are just so strange these days, there is no base of sense

Great players getting strange, low aav bridge deals
not so great players getting max term, too high aav contracts
- even 4th liners getting crazy money

In a what world a player who has scored, 21 point, 31 point, 39 point seasons
worth even close to something like 4, 5 or 6 million, even in a 1 year offer sheet
- especially, when you are a 1st overall pick

Alexis has combined of 250 career games in the NHL
and hasn't even hit 50 goal mark yet and barely gotten over 50 assist mark
with 51.

---

Yes, i think there's potential for much more, but atm he isn't worth a lot of money per year

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
I think Miller would have been a better target. He’s already their #3 dman, big, young, and more established.

A team could have tried to offer sheet Lafreniere for say a 2nd round compensation around $4.3, waited for the Rangers to match, then circle back to Miller when the rangers had even less money.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Your... "Montreal has the worst defense+ goaltending in the division and a bottom tier 1C, ” don’t care we went 2-1 against Buffalo”"

Does not trump

My...
Habs had a huge amount of injuries to key assets last year and our youth is improving

All you are doing is being condescending. It's opinion vs opinion. I do think our pick is 8-16 range. Deal with it. We are just repeating things now in case you didn't notice.

Could be 8-16. It's a wide range. Is 6-12 better for you?

I understand how this can age in two different ways. This idea makes me think and yes, there are risks/rewards.

I'm not saying you can't get good players. But listing random ones does not quantify it correctly. I think we would have to spend more than 5-10 min's and look at 3-5 drafts and see how it looks overall. How many guys are better than Lafreniere. I personally don't have the time but if someone else does, please share. Once again, it's not a 5-10 min task.

I’ll ask you one last time.

What makes Montreal better on paper than Buffalo?

You keep blindly ignoring what every other team has done and all the young players they have and their ability to improve.

You have absolutely no case right now for Montreal > Buffalo

• Love
Reactions: Bluenotes27

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
If a contender OSs him, the return would be a late 1st and 2nd. Habs offer of a potential top 5 would hold far more value. That's why Habs wouldn't do it just for Laffy.

The question is how do you work on an equal value of a low 1st.

Or nothing...
I asked why the Rangers would do it. You proposed trading Laf and Schneider for a 1st and 2nd, leaving the Rangers short a winger and a RD, with very little cap space to replace either one.

The Rangers are trying to win a cup, not stockpile draft picks.

I can't wait until Laf re-signs just so Habs fans might stop with these stupid threads, but I'm probably kidding myself. Laf is French Canadian, so you'll never stop.

Reactions: pld459666

habsterr

Jan 5, 2014
Edmonton
@original proposal: What kind of dummies would offer that much for Laf? Ranger's would take the offer and run. Not only you're overpaying, you're helping their cap situation too. In return you get the next Drouin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad