Value of: Lafreniere Offer Sheet (1 year at $6.4M)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I think bigger question is would they match a 4.2M deal(ie 2nd rounder). I would argue he isn't even worth that salary wise. My guess is if a first rounder is involved they would cut ties easily

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
If you match an offer sheet you can’t trade the player for a year
Yes, forgot that, thanks.
No big whoop.
Rs keep productive kid line together, and add mins, if they listen to bern, make 1st line. Result: his totals go up, and w/production, higher return in trade commanded

whether Rs should trade now or later or keep depends on what return is being offred

CaptDenisPotvin

The Tampa Bay Astros are your 2021 Champions
Jun 20, 2007
A 1st and a 3rd round pick huh???

List of #1 picks that have less points than Laugh over the last 30 years:
Marc Andre Fluery
Rick Dipietro
Nail Yakupov
Patrick Stefan
Chris Phillips
Ed Jovanovski

Two goalies, two busts and two defenseman. I'm not sure I would give him a roster spot let alone a 1st and 3rd for him.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I'll laugh at any team that offers 6.4 for that bust.

The Sharks just signed Zadina for 1.1 and he is better at just about every facet of the game compared to Patrik Stefan 2.0
You know, there's a point at which hyperbole becomes a lie, and you've definitely jumped the shark (pun intended).

Zadina was drafted 2 years prior to Lafreniere, yet has 23 less points. Zadina isn't better than Laf in any facet of the game, but if it makes you feel better to think so, then by all means, delude yourself.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I'm not sure I would give him a roster spot let alone a 1st and 3rd for him.

I think it's safe to say based on untapped potential Laf still has a mid to late first rounder value. Problem is team that finish in those spots don't need to make that kind of risk for that capspace, and the teams who could take a chance and hope lightening strikes shouldn't risk giving a top half first rounder to do it

Hind sight being 20/20(and I was saying this at the time) they should have used Laf as a centerpiece for Eichel where Laf's value was much higher and they could use it to get Buffalo to eat some salary.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
You know, there's a point at which hyperbole becomes a lie, and you've definitely jumped the shark (pun intended).

Zadina was drafted 2 years prior to Lafreniere, yet has 23 less points. Zadina isn't better than Laf in any facet of the game, but if it makes you feel better to think so, then by all means, delude yourself.
Zadina can’t find the back of the net, but his wheels and motor are certainly better.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Neither of which has made him more productive or enabled him to find a permanent role in the NHL.

Jonny Brodzinski has better wheels and motor than Laf too, but I wouldn't play him over Laf.
What you said is that Lafreniere is better in every facet of the game, which is plainly false.

Jamaican Patty

Jul 13, 2023
Do the Rangers match? 1st and 3rd is the compensation.

What pick do we think the Habs will have for the 2024 draft? 5-16 range? Seems like a similar cost to what we paid to acquire Dach to me. Basically a KK type offer sheet and a handshake deal on what the extension. I find that part tricky because if he breaks out, he won't take $4.82M for 8 years.

Risk/Rewards are tricky on this one.

Also, would other fans consider this move?

Habs will be battling for last place in the East with Philly. They should not even consider making an OS.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017

The Sharks just signed Zadina for 1.1 and he is better at just about every facet of the game compared to Patrik Stefan 2.0

Carolina did an offer over 6 mil for a 3C who two years later is still a 3C.

I'd argue that even though he's a winger, Laf has more upside and would be more worth it even at the 6 mil than Kotnaniemi was, but I'm also not going to pretend that Kotkaniemi was by any means a good bar.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Carolina did an offer over 6 mil for a 3C who two years later is still a 3C.

I'd argue that even though he's a winger, Laf has more upside and would be more worth it even at the 6 mil than Kotnaniemi was, but I'm also not going to pretend that Kotkaniemi was by any means a good bar.

I could be wrong here but wasn't the belief Kotnaniemi had a side deal he would sign an extended contract with a lower AAV the first chance he had?

EquivalentStay

Jul 27, 2020
Do the Rangers match? 1st and 3rd is the compensation.

What pick do we think the Habs will have for the 2024 draft? 5-16 range? Seems like a similar cost to what we paid to acquire Dach to me. Basically a KK type offer sheet and a handshake deal on what the extension. I find that part tricky because if he breaks out, he won't take $4.82M for 8 years.

Risk/Rewards are tricky on this one.

Also, would other fans consider this move?
Credit where credit is due, this is a good proposal. I think the Rangers wouldnt match for sure, and I like the risk. Good job.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I think it's safe to say based on untapped potential Laf still has a mid to late first rounder value. Problem is team that finish in those spots don't need to make that kind of risk for that capspace, and the teams who could take a chance and hope lightening strikes shouldn't risk giving a top half first rounder to do it

Hind sight being 20/20(and I was saying this at the time) they should have used Laf as a centerpiece for Eichel where Laf's value was much higher and they could use it to get Buffalo to eat some salary.

1. Buffalo was never retaining salary on Eichel. It’s frankly a pretty absurd suggestion.
2. The Rangers were never going to offer anything Buffalo liked more than Alex Tuch.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Salaries are just so strange these days, there is no base of sense

Great players getting strange, low aav bridge deals
not so great players getting max term, too high aav contracts
- even 4th liners getting crazy money

In a what world a player who has scored, 21 point, 31 point, 39 point seasons
worth even close to something like 4, 5 or 6 million, even in a 1 year offer sheet
- especially, when you are a 1st overall pick

Alexis has combined of 250 career games in the NHL
and hasn't even hit 50 goal mark yet and barely gotten over 50 assist mark
with 51.

---

Yes, i think there's potential for much more, but atm he isn't worth a lot of money per year
This isn't 2010 anymore... remeber when top 30 dmen were the only ones making above 4 million, and only slightly above that. Times have changed. The cap goes up and money doesn't just go to your top players. Imagine an NHL where the bottom 6, or bottom 9 never saw an increase in the last 13 years and only the top line got paid...

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I’ll ask you one last time.

What makes Montreal better on paper than Buffalo?

You keep blindly ignoring what every other team has done and all the young players they have and their ability to improve.

You have absolutely no case right now for Montreal > Buffalo

What makes the Sabres better than the Habs? Habs were 2-1 against them last year and with many injuries.

You have absolutely no case right now for Buffalo > Montreal

Works two ways. And all you are doing is nit picking now and it was time to let it go a few post ago. You're not comprehending what I said well because you are looking for a fight.

How I group teams as of now…..

east

playoff…Tampa, Toronto, Carolina

playoff bubble buffalo, Ottawa, Florida, New Jersey, rangers, islanders, pittsburgh, Washington , Detroit

unknown. Boston

competitive but missing playoffs snd deadline sellers— montreal, Columbus

no chance of playoffs Philadelphia

west

playoffs colorado, vegas, Edmonton

playoff bubble LA, Calgary, Dallas, nashville, minnesota vsncouver , Seattle

unknown Winnipeg

competitive but missing playoffs/ sellers at deadline — arizona, St. Louis

no chance of playoffs chicago, Anaheim, San Jose

I've done this year after year and there are always surprises. Habs will have a pick from 6-12 or 8-16 range. You don't have to agree but that's my assessment.

Not saying with you in particular, but why do I have to keep repeating myself? It's a difference of opinion on where we finish. It's not complicated.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
So was Yakupov. ;)

Not every 1st rounder turns into Yakupov. We are all aware of Yakupov so no new news there.

All depends on the team. If it’s a team most likely to miss the playoffs I think the rangers would take the 1st.

Need to remember unprotected first and Montreal it could end up being 1st overall.

Montreal is a bottom 5 team in the East without a doubt.

Personally I think Columbus should make an offer like this.

Problem is a 1 year deal won’t work as the risk to the team offering it is just incredible. Team is stuck offering qualifying offers which gets risky.

I'm aware of the risks/rewards to this move.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
NYRs would accept the two high picks and run. Same thing Habs did with KK.

And hopefully not turn around and blow those picks to acquire a bad contract like Dvorak.

It won't be two high picks. 1st and 3rd rounder. And yes, it's a risk/reward thing to ponder about no doubt. If Lafreniere ends up a 60-80 pts winger, it's a good move no matter what the pick ends up. Fans think all top 10 picks are sure shot 80+ forwards or 40+ Defenseman and it's not accurate. That applies to both Lafreniere and the next draft.

I'm 50/50 on making that move. I understand the risks but others are ignoring the potential rewards if Lafreniere performs well from age 22+. The trend I have noticed is most good young talent with his pedigree don't break open on their ELC. For every J Hughes, there are lots of others who take longer or disappoint.

I remember when I was very happy with the roster for the Habs heading into our cup run season. Fans tried to diminish it.... just like they are doing with our growth potential heading into this season. Habs don't get respect until we earn it with other fans. Other fans will never give us a positive future outlook until they are proven wrong. :nod:

It would be interesting. That Habs pick might be top 3.

I think the probability we finish 6-12 or 8-16 is much higher than bottom 3. You're not wrong, it "could" be top 3.

Said it before and will say it again... Habs were around .500 in the 1st 1/3 of the season before the injuries piled up. Last season does not entirely reflect our true potential.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

You should have stopped after your first sentence. Following it up with the Zadina narrative doesn't give you much credibility now.

I could be wrong here but wasn't the belief Kotnaniemi had a side deal he would sign an extended contract with a lower AAV the first chance he had?

You're not wrong. That information was out there. And once the contract extension was signed, the rummer became true.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Habs will be battling for last place in the East with Philly. They should not even consider making an OS.

If the Habs don't have injuries like last year, we are not in the bottom 5.

Most fans here think this...
* The top 10 in next year draft will all be better than Lafreniere
* Lafreniere will not improve from age 22+

That is subjective and so is where the Habs finish

• Haha
Reactions: Bluenotes27

thehoffs

Jul 4, 2023
If the Habs don't have injuries like last year, we are not in the bottom 5.

Most fans here think this...
* The top 10 in next year draft will all be better than Lafreniere
* Lafreniere will not improve from age 22+

That is subjective and so is where the Habs finish
Yes you are.

Every single team in the east has gotten better with signings and trades.

I only have Montreal ahead of Philadelphia in the East.

Chicago, Anaheim will be greatly improved. So it’s conceivable montreal is in the bottom 6-8 teams.

Seriously, montreals team isn’t good.

Relying on Sean Monahan to play 82 games won’t happen either. His body is held together like an erector set.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad