Value of: Lafreniere Offer Sheet (1 year at $6.4M)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Yes you are.

Every single team in the east has gotten better with signings and trades.

I only have Montreal ahead of Philadelphia in the East.

Chicago, Anaheim will be greatly improved. So it’s conceivable montreal is in the bottom 6-8 teams.

Seriously, montreals team isn’t good.

Relying on Sean Monahan to play 82 games won’t happen either. His body is held together like an erector set.
Chicago’s still gonna stink.

thehoffs

Jul 4, 2023
Chicago’s still gonna stink.
No they won’t.

They are playing in a considerably weaker west conference.

Where as Montreal is in the East where even Detroit and Columbus made major adds.

I’m not joking either. Outside of Philadelphia who can Montreal be ahead of in the standings?

Reactions: Bluenotes27

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
No they won’t.

They are playing in a considerably weaker west conference.

Where as Montreal is in the East where even Detroit and Columbus made major adds.

I’m not joking either. Outside of Philadelphia who can Montreal be ahead of in the standings?
The west is haves and have nots. The East is mostly alot of middle class.

Jamaican Patty

Jul 13, 2023
If the Habs don't have injuries like last year, we are not in the bottom 5.

Most fans here think this...
* The top 10 in next year draft will all be better than Lafreniere
* Lafreniere will not improve from age 22+

That is subjective and so is where the Habs finish

Who when healthy are the Habs better (besides philly) in the East?

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
Yikes, as if habs can't see what the rangers want.
OK so our 1st overall is in the verge to be made a full BUST as a 1st overall pick. 3 years and he playes like a 2dn rounder at best. ! more year of of all this and he will be dropped to the 3rd line at best. call the habs, offer LAF for a 1st rounder ++, Habs hangup. Ok lets try this. get the Habs to offer sheet ( same thing a 1st ++ ) Habs hang up again. This is like, I bought a car, I tried it for 3 years, I don;t like it, can I get all my money back please.

Reactions: HabsAddict

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
This seems to be his "thing" on the main boards. It's like he's on a mission to make Canadiens fans look silly.

He makes some proclamation and when he gets tons of people disagreeing with him (both fans of the Canadiens and not fans of the Canadiens) he simply repeats himself over and over again as if saying it again might make people agree with him.

It's bizarre. Surely you remember all of his nonsense about Sean Monahan and a 1st round pick and pretending that Monahan might be as valuable as O'Reilly because he claimed O'Reilly's foot injury was a big wild card and teams may not not what they were getting.

He said this over and over and over again... while Monahan himself was injured. He must have repeated this diatribe 20+ times and nobody agreed with him, so he did more, and more, and more and you can already see in this thread he's saying the same shit over and over again.

Somehow, because the Canadiens had injuries last year, they are going to be a great improved team this year. If you don't agree with that, he will say it again, and again, and again and again.
2-1 versus Buffalo last year! Canadians are elite. Deal with it!

• Love

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
2-1 versus Buffalo last year! Canadians are elite. Deal with it!

What was the point of him pointing out the Canadiens record against the Sabres last year? What was the supposed to prove?

3 years and he playes like a 2dn rounder at best.

These seems very hyperbolic.

Only eight players from the second round that year have even played in the NHL and only one of them has played more the 24 games.

ScJeff

Jun 15, 2010
If you do that his QO is 6.4M again. Annd then another 6.4M QO etc.

So you would need to be willing to walk him to UFA at 6.4M a year one year deals if he wants it, or be okay not qualifying him and letting those pics go for a year of him.

Reactions: RRhoads

Jimmybarndoor2

Jul 24, 2021
Would be shocked at a 6 million offer sheet. 4.1 may be enough. The offer would be based on potential. Bottom 6 wingers are what 1 to 3 million?

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Yikes, as if habs can't see what the rangers want.
OK so our 1st overall is in the verge to be made a full BUST as a 1st overall pick. 3 years and he playes like a 2dn rounder at best. ! more year of of all this and he will be dropped to the 3rd line at best. call the habs, offer LAF for a 1st rounder ++, Habs hangup. Ok lets try this. get the Habs to offer sheet ( same thing a 1st ++ ) Habs hang up again. This is like, I bought a car, I tried it for 3 years, I don;t like it, can I get all my money back please.
That was some weak ass draft if he plays like a 2nd rounder at best.

The part you left out is the used dealership sending you voice messages, emails and advertisements asking to buy that car that you weren't selling.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Who when healthy are the Habs better (besides philly) in the East?

Before the injuries piled up (about 1/3 of the season), Habs were floating around a .500 record. According to last years standings, that's around 10th/11th last.

Also add that there is expected growth from several of our youth who are developing very well. That should push it up a bit more. It's difficult to nail down so I have a range. Bottom 6-12 or bottom 8-16. If you forced me to pick a smaller range? I would say we have a pick around 8-12 in the next draft. I could be spot on or way off. It's an opinion

If the Habs stay relatively healthy (normal amount of injuries), I don't see another bottom 5 finish. People can laugh at that all they want. This is deeper than just the East standings as well.

Would be shocked at a 6 million offer sheet. 4.1 may be enough. The offer would be based on potential. Bottom 6 wingers are what 1 to 3 million?

If you believe Lafreniere is a bottom 6F from age 22+, you don't even offer $4.1

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
this doesn't make sense because if Montreal just offered their unprotected 1st for Lafreniere, the Rangers would probably take it and Montreal could negotiate a better contract than that

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
this doesn't make sense because if Montreal just offered their unprotected 1st for Lafreniere, the Rangers would probably take it and Montreal could negotiate a better contract than that

Exactly.

If the Canadiens were dumb enough to offer up their 2024 1st round draft pick without any kind of protections, I'm quite certain the Rangers would accept it.

So why wouldn't they just do that and sign him to a reasonable contract that allows them to develop him without the insane pressure and distractions that would come with a $6 million salary and looming qualifying offer that would be required to avoid unrestricted free agency?

The idea is illogical.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Exactly.

If the Canadiens were dumb enough to offer up their 2024 1st round draft pick without any kind of protections, I'm quite certain the Rangers would accept it.

So why wouldn't they just do that and sign him to a reasonable contract that allows them to develop him without the insane pressure and distractions that would come with a $6 million salary and looming qualifying offer that would be required to avoid unrestricted free agency?

The idea is illogical.
It would be illogical to make that offer in the first place.

Imagine having an injury filled season and picking top 5. No GM in his right mind offers that for Laf. Not even top 10.

Max starts at 15.OA or roster player.

(Not a huge fan of Hughes but Bergy is gone)

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
Im sad that this is even a thread, can the Rangers just give Kakko and Laf the chance to become what they were supposed to be? Yes i know they got Mika Z and Panarin, but give these 2 dudes 2nd line minutes and PP time and they just might surprise you. Just like Patrik Laine said when asked why he wasn't scoring when he was in the doghouse "Well i sit on the bench, and i dont have long enough stick to score from there."

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
I think people severely overrate picks outside the top 5. Go and look what actually was chosen from picks 6-10 since 2010.

Some are definitely better than laf. Most are not or took many years to finally break through. And thats not taking into account of Lafs situation with the rangers and lack of top playing time and PP time most top 5 picks get and having two shitty coaches.

Frankly as a GM you would be dumb not to trade a pick after top 5 for Laf who is a middle 6 player now and still has alot potential.

And that also not taking into accpunt that most players after top 5 probably need 1-2 years in minors. So thats probably 3-5 years after the pick was made to find out if you got a player who can maybe be as good as Laf currently.

Kid is only 21 with potential and is at the bare minimum a mid six winger. You hope that your pick past the top 5 can turn into that. It means that pick was successful. But it is not guaranteed by any stretch of the imagination.

This conversation reminds me of the family guy episode of getting a free boat or mystery box. The mystery box could even be a boat.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Pick #55 + #72 + #136 to WPG
For MTL 2nd pick #40

Offer sheet Laf 1 x 4.2

I think that gets it done

Just to translate:

WPG: COL2(24), MON3(24), MON5(24)
MON: MON2(24)

In this past draft, that would have been trading #37 for #59, #69, and #133 which feels a little light. At the 2019 Draft, Nashville traded #34 for #45 and #65. In 2017, Arizona traded #35 for #44, #75, #108. Tough to know for sure. Brian Burke gave up 2011 2nd + 3rd to get Toronto's 2010 2nd in order to have it as a threat to offer sheet Phil Kessel.

I mentioned it earlier, but the cautionary tale for offer sheets should be Tampa in 2008-09. They wanted to offer sheet Andrej Meszaros but they had previously traded their 2009 3rd to Pittsburgh. They tried to get it back, but Pittsburgh declined their overtures. In the end, they worked out a boring trade which sent veteran D Filip Kuba and a different 1st to Ottawa.

But had Tampa offer sheeted Meszaros like they had originally planned, they would have given up their own 2009 unprotected 1st for him. Ie, they would have given up the Victor Hedman pick.

Reactions: Chadstudsky

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Looks like this thread has turned into... Habs will suck replies.

Lack of focus on Lafreniere and what kind of player he can or won't be at age 22+. I guess most fans think he will not turn into a good top 6F.

Reactions: Fatass

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I think people severely overrate picks outside the top 5. Go and look what actually was chosen from picks 6-10 since 2010.

Some are definitely better than laf. Most are not or took many years to finally break through. And thats not taking into account of Lafs situation with the rangers and lack of top playing time and PP time most top 5 picks get and having two shitty coaches.

Frankly as a GM you would be dumb not to trade a pick after top 5 for Laf who is a middle 6 player now and still has alot potential.

And that also not taking into accpunt that most players after top 5 probably need 1-2 years in minors. So thats probably 3-5 years after the pick was made to find out if you got a player who can maybe be as good as Laf currently.

Kid is only 21 with potential and is at the bare minimum a mid six winger. You hope that your pick past the top 5 can turn into that. It means that pick was successful. But it is not guaranteed by any stretch of the imagination.

This conversation reminds me of the family guy episode of getting a free boat or mystery box. The mystery box could even be a boat.
Lafreniere is not worth a pick as high as 6OA. His value is much closer to a pick between 25-40. That’s why an offer sheet of 4.2 is actually very fair compensation for the Rangers. They get a second, and that’s likely quite high if it’s the Habs involved.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Looks like this thread has turned into... Habs will suck replies.

Lack of focus on Lafreniere and what kind of player he can or won't be at age 22+. I guess most fans think he will not turn into a good top 6F.
If the cost to find out what Lafreniere can become is only a second round pick and cap space during a rebuilding phase, then that’s worth it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad