Game 7 SCF - Would you rather have Peak Crosby or Current McDavid?

Who would you rather have in game 7 of SCF?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
As of today, Crosby has a legitimate case for #5 all-time. There are several players who are in contention for that spot, but he might have a stronger case than anybody else. (I fully expect McDavid will pass him, sooner or later).

But one thing that's always bugged me about Crosby's resume is underwhelming numbers in the Stanley Cup finals. 20 points in 25 games is, frankly, disappointing for a player of his calibre. Most of the other top ~20 forwards look better (Gretzky, Lemieux, Howe, Beliveau, Hull, Lafleur, Trottier, Bossy, Messier, Clarke, Mikita, Sakic, etc.) scored at a higher rate, with many of them being substantially higher. The same is true of some of his peers (even if Crosby is a better playoff performer overall - Ovechkin, Kane, Kucherov, Zetterberg, etc).

There are a few counter-arguments - 25 games is a small sample size. He was a good two-way player. And this was during a lower scoring era than today. All those points are valid - but I don't know if that explains such weak output.

Even with this weakness, Crosby is still probably the top playoff performer of the post-lockout era, and he's arguably #5 all-time (until McDavid most likely passes him). But this is a legit weakness in his resume.

While it’s a fair criticism in his career assessment, I think ultimately the people focusing on it here are off base. There’s nothing inherently about the finals that suggests the larger sample should be ignored. And it was also the case when McDavid only had 1 point through 2.5 games as well. Just take the better player and/or the player whose skillset/intangibles serve a team best in the playoffs. At this point I think that’s shown to be McDavid. But I think Crosby was certainly capable of a great cup finals. He just didn’t have it.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
There are a few counter-arguments - 25 games is a small sample size. He was a good two-way player. And this was during a lower scoring era than today. All those points are valid - but I don't know if that explains such weak output.

The counter arguments are weak. 25 games is plenty. The guy played in 4 Finals. What we saw is what he was capable of. 2 goals and 14 points in 19 games during the 3 Cups Pittsburgh won. McDavid scored 2 goals the other night. As many as Crosby scored in 19 games post age 22. Come on, can we be done worshipping this false idol? He’s an all-time great, no question about it, but he was never going to be Gretzky and Lemieux, and frankly, never came close, even for one season.

Scoring being up by up to 15% isn’t going to magically give Crosby double the goals and points to his totals, which is what some seem to be implying every time they bring this up.

I don’t mind Crosby being argued anywhere from #6-#12. I’d put him no lower than 8 if I’m being honest and probably would put him at 6 when it’s all said and done. What I really like about him is he somehow ended up playing a full career, when there was so fear that he would retire early. Missed a big chunk of time for a little while and rebounded to likely play 1400+ games, a mark currently reached by just 42 NHLers. I like that a lot.

McDavid is top 5, regardless of how the rest of this series plays out. If it plays out the way every Penguins fan and Oilers hater fears, the debate is over forever in less than 96 hours.

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
Crosby is one of those guys that gets every free pass in the book given to them. He didn’t even play half of Game 7 against Detroit during Pittsburgh’s first win and underperformed during each and every Finals appearance, but sure, let’s pretend he’s this SCF god.

For someone who gets so much hype based on a moment (The so-called Golden Goal), he sure doesn’t have them in the Finals.

Nothing that even resembles what McDavid has done the past two games.
Do you have Crosby in your top 10 players of all time?

Half of your posts seem to be you just criticizing Crosby’s career for no reason and the other half is just basically McDavid glazing.

Genuinely curious to see where you have him ranked.

Reactions: sanscosm

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Do you have Crosby in your top 10 players of all time?

Half of your posts seem to be you just criticizing Crosby’s career for no reason and the other half is just basically McDavid glazing.

Genuinely curious to see where you have him ranked.

#6-#8.

I have plenty of reasons for criticizing Crosby’s career and they mostly revolve around the lies and embellishments that others try to peddle to prop him up further. The rest is centered around one question.

Did you know I’m utterly insane?

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
As of today, Crosby has a legitimate case for #5 all-time. There are several players who are in contention for that spot, but he might have a stronger case than anybody else. (I fully expect McDavid will pass him, sooner or later).

But one thing that's always bugged me about Crosby's resume is underwhelming numbers in the Stanley Cup finals. 20 points in 25 games is, frankly, disappointing for a player of his calibre. Most of the other top ~20 forwards look better (Gretzky, Lemieux, Howe, Beliveau, Hull, Lafleur, Trottier, Bossy, Messier, Clarke, Mikita, Sakic, etc.) scored at a higher rate, with many of them being substantially higher. The same is true of some of his peers (even if Crosby is a better playoff performer overall - Ovechkin, Kane, Kucherov, Zetterberg, etc).

Even with this weakness, Crosby is still probably the top playoff performer of the post-lockout era, and he's arguably #5 all-time (until McDavid most likely passes him). But this is a legit weakness in his resume.
Might want to re-check Howe's first 4 SCFs.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
use to be crosby. Its McD now without question. what he did on the Perry goal alone, in the stanley cup finals is just insane. That should never happen. When the series started I said Id be happy either way with who wins but now I want to see McD singlehandedly win the cup. If the oilers win it might be the best stanley cup final ever. Also not a slight to Crosby.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Might want to re-check Howe's first 4 SCFs.
To clarify, I was posting career totals (rather than totals from each player's first four SCF appearances - especially since several of the players I listed haven't even appeared in four finals ie Sakic, Clarke, Ovechkin, Kane, Kucherov - even Lemieux).

Reactions: Voight

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I'll pick McDavid for the overwhelming raw talent. But I have hard time understanding how Crosby can be overrated. Overrated compared to who?? Sid has accomplished everything, everywhere, more than once. He's a freakin' legend on and off the ice.

Agreed.

We're entering Sidney Crosby is underrated territory at this point

Reactions: Lshap

pi314

Jun 10, 2017
Windsor, ON
McDavid has been playing at a 150 points/82 games pace in the playoffs since his first run.

At the same age Crosby had 114 points in 95 playoff games, McDavid has 117 in 72.

Him without a second thought.

They also shrunk goalie equipment in the middle of McDavid’s career.

So it’s not apples to apples.

We went from 1-2 guys breaking 100 points… some years none…

…to 15 guys doing it.

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
#6-#8.

I have plenty of reasons for criticizing Crosby’s career and they mostly revolve around the lies and embellishments that others try to peddle to prop him up further. The rest is centered around one question.

Did you know I’m utterly insane?
Fair.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
This is actually a bit of a tough call for me. I firmly believe 97 is the better offensive player but this particular game may play into 87’s lane if it turned into a grinder. Which is how Florida would want to play it. Crosby is the most talented fourth line style guy ever.

In the end Mcdavid is having the most miraculous post season in 30 plus years so you have to give it to him. He’s gone too far to pull him. You can make a strong argument the next two possible games would benefit from what Crosby brings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad