Prospect Info: 2024 Top 100 + 10 HM

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
Here's my final board for the 2024 NHL Draft. There's a bit of Devils influence in it, but mainly only for tie-breaking purposes. A couple thoughts to add before sharing:
  • So the big question all year has been draft strength. A while back, I said this class lacked easily projectable high end talent, and the depth was largely made up of role guys rather than swings. In my opinion, the draft rebounded a bit down the stretch, particularly in terms of the forwards. I think a number of kids closed strongly, and while I'm still not that thrilled with the projections outside of the top 20 or so, the class as a whole is in a better place than I was expecting. That said, the depth is still largely roster fill-ins or major, major projects.
  • Much has been said about the lack of goalie talent this year, too. I do find it to be a weaker year, but only in North America. There are a number of European (and Russian specifically) targets that are very interesting and likely closer to making a main roster impact than their Canadian/American counterparts. We all know why they're being overlooked, so for a team that's completely comfortable drafting out of the MHL, hopefully it's to our benefit.
  • The weirder a placement looks, the more I've watched the player, so please feel free to ask about anything that seems off. I know there's more than a few that'll attract some attention.
  • Don't think of the honorable mentions as being players ranked 101-110. I don't really know how I'd rank them, they all have major projection concerns. I'm just listing them because I find them more interesting than the remaining kids I looked at.

RankPositionPlayerCommentary
1​
CCelebriniAll-situations, do-all center who's an automatic franchise pillar. Not much more to say.
2​
RWDemidovHigh intensity dual-threat offensive option with some of the best puck skills we've seen. Only certainty behind Celebrini.
3​
C/RWLindstromExtremely rare package of skill/compete/physicality. Remains to be seen how much of a true play driver he is.
4​
LDDickinsonEasy top 4 projection given his speed/compete/shutdown ability with some underrated offensive instincts.
5​
LDBuiumOff the charts vision and creativity with a defensive game that showed great adaptability over the course of the season.
6​
LWIginlaMeteoric riser who could even trend toward stardom thanks to his diverse offensive skillset and elite progression, forechecking, and small area play.
7​
CHeleniusAll-day center and one of the smartest and most competitive players in the class with good skill and even some bite.
8​
RW/CBrandsegg-NygårdGuaranteed top 9 option with pro-ready skating, forechecking, and defense. Makes up for a lack of high end vision with his puck battles and dominance down low.
9​
LDSilayevAs good of a shutdown projection as you'll find, particularly for a mobile 6'7" giant, but with some concern about on-puck play.
10​
LDSolbergSmooth-skating bully who terrorizes opposing forwards. Sneaky good skill and ideas on the puck as well.
11​
RDYakemchukSuper rare package of high-end offensive skill and raw brutality, but needs to iron out his decision making issues.
12​
LW/CCattonPuck-dominant, offensive dynamo with incredible vision, but struggles under contact and isn't as good of a skater as some think.
13​
RWSenneckeIncredible one-on-one skill and creativity with great off-puck anticipation. Dominance down the stretch might be masking compete/decision making concerns.
14​
LW/RWChernyshovChecks all the boxes for a quick, skilled, high-compete power winger. Only concern is just how good the offensive touch really is.
15​
RDParekhOtherworldly offensive vision and talent, yet his poor defensive compete/reads coupled with an aversion to contact casts doubt on stardom.
16​
CLuchankoSublime two-way pivot with exceptional speed. Young, smart, and competitive, which is easy to bet on.
17​
RDLevshunovImpressive athleticism and overall toolkit, but plenty of reason to doubt given his inconsistent compete, poor processing, and lack of a singular elite trait.
18​
RDJiříčekLots to like as a well-balanced top 4 defender, but some development concern given struggles with injuries and poor pro league showings.
19​
C/RWHageSpeedy dual-threat attacker with an explosive second half. Needs to continue to work on engagement and efficiency.
20​
LW/CSurinAll-out agitator with very good skill. Shows some junior league tendencies but no reason to think he can't work them out.
21​
RDEmeryShutdown defender built for the modern game. Big, mobile, and competitive. Puck play isn't great, but not a total weakness.
22​
CBeaudoinThe ultimate checking line center who's also an athletic beast. No-doubt middle 6er with improved speed.
23​
LWEisermanAs elite of a shooter as you'll find, but with major, major concerns in basically every other facet of his game.
24​
RWParascakSavvy goal scorer who some incredible anticipation. Skating concerns exist, but all he ever does is prove people wrong.
25​
LDShuravinA big, mobile, and elite shutdown presence. Lack of offensive tools and some difficulty under pressure keeps him a little lower.
26​
RDBadinkaGreat-skating defender with high compete and physical intensity. A bit risk-friendly, and not a majorly offensive player.
27​
RWGreentreeDynamic offensive threat that's held back by a multitude of concerns: skating, compete, and decision making.
28​
LWVanackerVersatile scorer who offers good speed, compete, and two-way play. More of an easy projection than a big swing.
29​
RW/LWArtamonovHigh compete, elite vision winger who's already shown he can hold down a pro-league role and thrive.
30​
LWBashaExplosive skater with fantastic playmaking instincts. Struggles with physical play and an overreliance on speed to solve problems.
31​
C/RWO'ReillyPremier defensive forward who shows up in big moments. Knows how to compensate for skating concerns and lack of offensive upside.
32​
LDFreijSilky puck mover with some of the best playmaking in the draft but also some alarmingly poor defensive compete at times.
33​
CMiettinenSkates very well for a big man and thrives outside the crease. Streaky and not majorly skilled in spite of his projectable passing game.
34​
CBoisvertHis size, skill, smarts, and 200ft impact are easy to like in theory, but it feels like it only occasionally comes together on the ice.
35​
CPetterssonExcellent combo of energy and skill with elite vision. Needs to focus more on interior play and cleaning up his pass attempts.
36​
LWStigaAll-out competitor who grinds out the puck and fights for every chance he can get. Concern there's no fallback game due to lack of raw talent.
37​
LDMuggliModern-day shutdown defender who excels in transition. Lacks size, but showcases strong physical instincts.
38​
CErikssonMobile, competitive, defensive center who earned a well-deserved professional role midway through the season despite lacking size/tools.
39​
RDDanfordShot blocking machine with mobility and underappreciated physicality. Low-maintenance game without a lot of upside.
40​
LW/CMustardElite skating forechecker with excellent shooting instincts. Question over how much of a play driver he'll be given his intermittent tunnel vision.
41​
RDKleberHulking, defense-first defender who's a surprisingly better skater and handler than his frame would suggest.
42​
GMoysevichTowering presence in net who shows no major weaknesses. Overager, and not an elite athlete, but tracks pucks well and is hard to beat low.
43​
C/LWVilleneuveBuilt for playoff hockey. Intense, physical forechecker with decent goal scoring ability. Also a bit of a psycho.
44​
LDPulkkinenGigantic defender with tons of skill, physicality, and confidence. Needs a lot of structure and is already behind the curve as an overager.
45​
GZarubinBig goalie with decent athleticism, great instincts, and quick reflexes. Numbers aren't there, but he had to work hard behind a terrible defense.
46​
LWHoweElite compete scorer who causes havoc around the net. Undersized, and a bit limited beyond that.
47​
LDSkahanHuge, mean, shutdown presence. Lacks skill and makes questionable decisions with the puck, but should still play.
48​
RDElickGreat skater and impressive physical play, but terrible handling and not quite the shutdown presence he's made out to be.
49​
CLetourneauA total what-if pick. Huge and with great hands/shooting, but struggles against speed and is far from proven above the prep level.
50​
RWRitchieGreat pace, ideas, and overall skillset, yet hard to project given his perimeter play, overhandlings, and general inconsistency.
51​
LWHeBlazing skater with a great shot and high compete level. Limited beyond that, but perhaps some upside might be masked by his poor surroundings.
52​
RDPitnerGenius-level understanding of the defensive game but a lack of tools likely caps how good he can become.
53​
RDRobertsDefender with size, mobility and occasional offensive instincts. Needs to lean more into shutdown projection and tighten up decision making.
54​
LDSahlin WalleniusImmaculate skater who shows flashes of capable two-way defense but can really struggle with reads and decisions on the puck.
55​
CZetherBig, strong, puck dominant center who excels with his body along the boards and around the crease. Occasionally shows off high level handling.
56​
LWKosGrindy, high intensity forechecker with good physicality and respectable skill. Flashes of more were held back by injury troubles.
57​
C/RWZiemerSmart, intense forechecker who has proven he can mesh with talent. Skating and lack of upside make him less of a slam dunk pick, but he'll be a favorite.
58​
CBoilardExtremely efficient pivot with a low-maintenance albeit relatively passive game. Lack of production partially explained by team depth.
59​
LWPlanteElite playmaking talent with great vision who showed commendable improvement in terms of his pace and interior drive.
60​
RDBrunickeMobile defender with size and interesting ideas on the puck who is as inconsistent offensively as he is defensively.
61​
RWPoirierTiny yet absurdly physical scoring winger. Skating isn't great, but with his tenacity and stockiness, he still might be able to play.
62​
RWHemmingHigh end shooter with a decent overall skillset, yet his viewings never really inspire confidence that he can consistently apply it.
63​
GNabokovUndersized triple overager with unprecedented KHL success. Incredible positional instincts and consistency, but lower end athleticism.
64​
LW/RWGridinAll the offensive skill in the world with horrid compete, engagement, and off-puck intensity. As boom or bust as it gets.
65​
RW/LWTraffElite compete power winger who makes up for his lack of offensive instincts and skill with his intensity and pest-like behavior.
66​
CBednarikBoring yet effective two-way center. Needs to simplify his play on the puck and lean more into a defense-first projection.
67​
GYegorovGreat size in net with solid athleticism and reflexes. Struggles with angles, his glove, and lateral movement, but extremely competitive.
68​
RWFernströmFantastic scoring upside with major consistency issues in terms of pace, passing ability, and defensive compete. Poor body language at times as well.
69​
C/RWGojsicProjectable size, shooting, handling, and physical play in package that seems to be just scratching the surface of putting it all together.
70​
LDUstinkovYoung, smooth-skating defender with projectable size. Easy to like the upside, but really struggles to read play.
71​
RWWetschClassic bottom 6 projection as a speedy, north-south forechecker who competes hard and lives for interior play. Not exciting, but useful.
72​
C/RWSpellacySupreme athlete. Huge, fast, and an intense forechecker. Doesn't think the game well but with his physical traits he might not have to.
73​
LDHutsonSmart, slippery puck distributor with tremendous vision and a defensive/physical game that's borderline scary to ice.
74​
RDMewsA super talented defender in an awkward middle ground. Not quite a high-end offensive threat, not quite a good enough defensive presence.
75​
RW/CJechoThe size, forechecking, and shooting should theoretically produce a top prospect, but the consistency, processing, and skill hold his projection back.
76​
LW/RWMateikoBig, competitive, and physical forward who thrives around the net. Clunky, and far from a play driver, but excels in his role.
77​
RWMarquesAt his best, he's a chippy, deceptive playmaker who can still score. The issue is his pace, compete, and even interest can waver to a significant degree.
78​
RWMasséRespectable checking line upside with good scoring ability, though nothing stands out and his game regressed over the course of the year.
79​
GGidlöfImposing presence in net with excellent scanning and anticipation. Low pace, and without great lateral mobility, but a valuable framework.
80​
C/LWBerglundGreat defensive presence and dominant on the puck, particularly down low. Some flashes of skill. Very poor skater with no way to compensate for it.
81​
LDKolGreat shooting and mobility from the backend. Poor decisions with the puck and a lack of positional instincts make him a big time project.
82​
RWBattagliaStrong playmaker with solid vision and a willingness to park himself around the net, but also a wavering compete level and brutal skating.
83​
LW/CMisaOn the puck, he's a speedy, rush-centric attacker who can push play quickly. Off it, the tiny forward struggles to make much of an impact.
84​
LDKiviharjuExtremely crafty thinker and puck distributor. Poor trajectory, performances, and physical toolkit make him hard to buy into.
85​
LWWaltonHome run swing on a huge forward with a ton of tools: skating, shooting, passing and handling, but a long way off from being a player.
86​
LWMontgomeryExcellent mix of size, skating, and play driving for a big, overage winger. Needs to leverage his frame more and play with more consistent intensity.
87​
RDGillImpressive offensive instincts and ability to jump into play, and while his defensive game isn't there yet, his frame could help the projection.
88​
RWPikkarainenGreat mix of raw physicality, interior play, and flashes of high end playmaking, but a long way to go to put it all together.
89​
C/LWJosephsonElite forechecker with great compete and puck movement in transition. Minimal offensive tools or ideas to be bet on.
90​
LDSmithConfident, intense, and as flashy as a defender can be, yet lacking tools and without a sound fallback game at this point.
91​
LWMooreVideo game-like presence on the ice given his size, mobility, skill, and physical intensity, yet struggles processing the game even at the high school level.
92​
LDVäisänenMobile, jack-of-all-trades type defender with extreme poise on the puck. Difficult to project given a lot of lukewarm showings.
93​
LWSwansonElite yet tiny playmaker who might not even be a pick, but he has a nose for the net and competes well enough to justify the gamble.
94​
LDRalphAggressive, physical defender with a ton of size. Basically a dice roll since he bullied kids at the prep level all year.
95​
GGeorgeIncredible mental fortitude in net, as well as a proven big game player. Lack of size, athleticism, and high end reflexes make him a difficult hit.
96​
LDFischerEnviable combination of size, mobility, and youth give a lot of runway, but very little of his game is rosterable at this point.
97​
RW/CProcyszynDangerous off-puck threat in transition. Not a ton of skill, but facilitates plays and brings an extremely heavy physical game.
98​
LDEliassonTotal goon. Not much of a hockey player at this point, but as physically violent as a prospect can be. A bit of skating ability to build off of.
99​
RDBernierBalanced two-way presence. Decent offensive instincts, strong defensive foundation. Maybe not enough to bank on for a defender out of the QMJHL.
100​
LW/CVan VlietFlashes of 1st round caliber skating/shooting/play driving, though intermittent compete and lack opportunity hides his true upside.
---
-
HMLW/CCaswellSolid puck distributor without major weakness and who can elevate his line, yet never really stands out due to a lack of high end compete or skill.
HMLDFransénSkating, vision, and play driving are all easy to like, yet his decision making and engagement can crumble very quickly and very easily.
HMLDGalvasGreat mobility and defensive intent for an undersized defender, but near impossible to project to an NHL roster without elite skill.
HMLWHynninenHigh pace/intensity winger with solid skating. A bit of playmaking ability, but difficult to project as a forechecker at his size and without real skill.
HMC/RWKoivuExcellent shooter and high intensity forechecker, but a ways to go in terms of having any sort of overall game. Good runway, and needs all of it.
HMCParkNot sure there's much of an outlook for a sound, two-way prep kid without elite skill, but he's always effective in viewings.
HMC/RWPattersonElectric offensive talent who heavily relies on linemates to do the work for him. Interesting gamble since he just graduated from the OJHL.
HMRWPowellHuge overager who thrives off interior play. Rough skater with puck management issues, but a much savvier playmaker than his profile suggests.
HMGSaarinenImpressive size, puck tracking, and adjustments in net, but little else. Betting on skating, athleticism, and recoverability to develop in time.
HMLWVuolletIncredibly crafty winger with solid scoring upside and poise on the puck. Inconsistent pace, and not super toolsy, but shows intent as a backchecker.

Last edited:

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Here's my final board for the 2024 NHL Draft. There's a bit of Devils influence in it, but mainly only for tie-breaking purposes. A couple thoughts to add before sharing:
  • So the big question all year has been draft strength. A while back, I said this class lacked easily projectable high end talent, and the depth was largely made up of role guys rather than swings. In my opinion, the draft rebounded a bit down the stretch, particularly in terms of the forwards. I think a number of kids closed strongly, and while I'm still not that thrilled with the projections outside of the top 20 or so, the class as a whole is in a better place than I was expecting. That said, the depth is still largely roster fill-ins or major, major projects.
  • Much has been said about the lack of goalie talent this year, too. I do find it to be a weaker year, but only in North America. There are a number of European (and Russian specifically) targets that are very interesting and likely closer to making a main roster impact than their Canadian/American counterparts. We all know why they're being overlooked, so for a team that's completely comfortable drafting out of the MHL, hopefully it's to our benefit.
  • The weirder a placement looks, the more I've watched the player, so please feel free to ask about anything that seems off. I know there's more than a few that'll attract some attention.
  • Don't think of the honorable mentions as being players ranked 101-110. I don't really know how I'd rank them, they all have major projection concerns. I'm just listing them because I find them more interesting than the remaining kids I looked at.

RankPositionPlayerCommentary
1​
CCelebriniAll-situations, do-all center who's an automatic franchise pillar. Not much more to say.
2​
RWDemidovHigh intensity dual-threat offensive option with some of the best puck skills we've seen. Only certainty behind Celebrini.
3​
C/RWLindstromExtremely rare package of skill/compete/physicality. Remains to be seen how much of a true play driver he is.
4​
LDDickinsonEasy top 4 projection given his speed/compete/shutdown ability with some underrated offensive instincts.
5​
LDBuiumOff the charts vision and creativity with a defensive game that showed great adaptability over the course of the season.
6​
LWIginlaMeteoric riser who could even trend toward stardom thanks to his diverse offensive skillset and elite progression, forechecking, and small area play.
7​
CHeleniusAll-day center and one of the smartest and most competitive players in the class with good skill and even some bite.
8​
RW/CBrandsegg-NygårdGuaranteed top 9 option with pro-ready skating, forechecking, and defense. Makes up for a lack of high end vision with his puck battles and dominance down low.
9​
LDSilayevAs good of a shutdown projection as you'll find, particularly for a mobile 6'7" giant, but with some concern about on-puck play.
10​
LDSolbergSmooth-skating bully who terrorizes opposing forwards. Sneaky good skill and ideas on the puck as well.
11​
RDYakemchukSuper rare package of high-end offensive skill and raw brutality, but needs to iron out his decision making issues.
12​
LW/CCattonPuck-dominant, offensive dynamo with incredible vision, but struggles under contact and isn't as good of a skater as some think.
13​
RWSenneckeIncredible one-on-one skill and creativity with great off-puck anticipation. Dominance down the stretch might be masking compete/decision making concerns.
14​
LW/RWChernyshovChecks all the boxes for a quick, skilled, high-compete power winger. Only concern is just how good the offensive touch really is.
15​
RDParekhOtherworldly offensive vision and talent, yet his poor defensive compete/reads coupled with an aversion to contact casts doubt on stardom.
16​
CLuchankoSublime two-way pivot with exceptional speed. Young, smart, and competitive, which is easy to bet on.
17​
RDLevshunovImpressive athleticism and overall toolkit, but plenty of reason to doubt given his inconsistent compete, poor processing, and lack of a singular elite trait.
18​
RDJiříčekLots to like as a well-balanced top 4 defender, but some development concern given struggles with injuries and poor pro league showings.
19​
C/RWHageSpeedy dual-threat attacker with an explosive second half. Needs to continue to work on engagement and efficiency.
20​
LW/CSurinAll-out agitator with very good skill. Shows some junior league tendencies but no reason to think he can't work them out.
21​
RDEmeryShutdown defender built for the modern game. Big, mobile, and competitive. Puck play isn't great, but not a total weakness.
22​
CBeaudoinThe ultimate checking line center who's also an athletic beast. No-doubt middle 6er with improved speed.
23​
LWEisermanAs elite of a shooter as you'll find, but with major, major concerns in basically every other facet of his game.
24​
RWParascakSavvy goal scorer who some incredible anticipation. Skating concerns exist, but all he ever does is prove people wrong.
25​
LDShuravinA big, mobile, and elite shutdown presence. Lack of offensive tools and some difficulty under pressure keeps him a little lower.
26​
RDBadinkaGreat-skating defender with high compete and physical intensity. A bit risk-friendly, and not a majorly offensive player.
27​
RWGreentreeDynamic offensive threat that's held back by a multitude of concerns: skating, compete, and decision making.
28​
LWVanackerVersatile scorer who offers good speed, compete, and two-way play. More of an easy projection than a big swing.
29​
RW/LWArtamonovHigh compete, elite vision winger who's already shown he can hold down a pro-league role and thrive.
30​
LWBashaExplosive skater with fantastic playmaking instincts. Struggles with physical play and an overreliance on speed to solve problems.
31​
C/RWO'ReillyPremier defensive forward who shows up in big moments. Knows how to compensate for skating concerns and lack of offensive upside.
32​
LDFreijSilky puck mover with some of the best playmaking in the draft but also some alarmingly poor defensive compete at times.
33​
CMiettinenSkates very well for a big man and thrives outside the crease. Streaky and not majorly skilled in spite of his projectable passing game.
34​
CBoisvertHis size, skill, smarts, and 200ft impact are easy to like in theory, but it feels like it only occasionally comes together on the ice.
35​
CPetterssonExcellent combo of energy and skill with elite vision. Needs to focus more on interior play and cleaning up his pass attempts.
36​
LWStigaAll-out competitor who grinds out the puck and fights for every chance he can get. Concern there's no fallback game due to lack of raw talent.
37​
LDMuggliModern-day shutdown defender who excels in transition. Lacks size, but showcases strong physical instincts.
38​
CErikssonMobile, competitive, defensive center who earned a well-deserved professional role midway through the season despite lacking size/tools.
39​
RDDanfordShot blocking machine with mobility and underappreciated physicality. Low-maintenance game without a lot of upside.
40​
LW/CMustardElite skating forechecker with excellent shooting instincts. Question over how much of a play driver he'll be given his intermittent tunnel vision.
41​
RDKleberHulking, defense-first defender who's a surprisingly better skater and handler than his frame would suggest.
42​
GMoysevichTowering presence in net who shows no major weaknesses. Overager, and not an elite athlete, but tracks pucks well and is hard to beat low.
43​
C/LWVilleneuveBuilt for playoff hockey. Intense, physical forechecker with decent goal scoring ability. Also a bit of a psycho.
44​
LDPulkkinenGigantic defender with tons of skill, physicality, and confidence. Needs a lot of structure and is already behind the curve as an overager.
45​
GZarubinBig goalie with decent athleticism, great instincts, and quick reflexes. Numbers aren't there, but he had to work hard behind a terrible defense.
46​
LWHoweElite compete scorer who causes havoc around the net. Undersized, and a bit limited beyond that.
47​
LDSkahanHuge, mean, shutdown presence. Lacks skill and makes questionable decisions with the puck, but should still play.
48​
RDElickGreat skater and impressive physical play, but terrible handling and not quite the shutdown presence he's made out to be.
49​
CLetourneauA total what-if pick. Huge and with great hands/shooting, but struggles against speed and is far from proven above the prep level.
50​
RWRitchieGreat pace, ideas, and overall skillset, yet hard to project given his perimeter play, overhandlings, and general inconsistency.
51​
LWHeBlazing skater with a great shot and high compete level. Limited beyond that, but perhaps some upside might be masked by his poor surroundings.
52​
RDPitnerGenius-level understanding of the defensive game but a lack of tools likely caps how good he can become.
53​
RDRobertsDefender with size, mobility and occasional offensive instincts. Needs to lean more into shutdown projection and tighten up decision making.
54​
LDSahlin WalleniusImmaculate skater who shows flashes of capable two-way defense but can really struggle with reads and decisions on the puck.
55​
CZetherBig, strong, puck dominant center who excels with his body along the boards and around the crease. Occasionally shows off high level handling.
56​
LWKosGrindy, high intensity forechecker with good physicality and respectable skill. Flashes of more were held back by injury troubles.
57​
C/RWZiemerSmart, intense forechecker who has proven he can mesh with talent. Skating and lack of upside make him less of a slam dunk pick, but he'll be a favorite.
58​
CBoilardExtremely efficient pivot with a low-maintenance albeit relatively passive game. Lack of production partially explained by team depth.
59​
LWPlanteElite playmaking talent with great vision who showed commendable improvement in terms of his pace and interior drive.
60​
RDBrunickeMobile defender with size and interesting ideas on the puck who is as inconsistent offensively as he is defensively.
61​
RWPoirierTiny yet absurdly physical scoring winger. Skating isn't great, but with his tenacity and stockiness, he still might be able to play.
62​
RWHemmingHigh end shooter with a decent overall skillset, yet his viewings never really inspire confidence that he can consistently apply it.
63​
GNabokovUndersized triple overager with unprecedented KHL success. Incredible positional instincts and consistency, but lower end athleticism.
64​
LW/RWGridinAll the offensive skill in the world with horrid compete, engagement, and off-puck intensity. As boom or bust as it gets.
65​
RW/LWTraffElite compete power winger who makes up for his lack of offensive instincts and skill with his intensity and pest-like behavior.
66​
CBednarikBoring yet effective two-way center. Needs to simplify his play on the puck and lean more into a defense-first projection.
67​
GYegorovGreat size in net with solid athleticism and reflexes. Struggles with angles, his glove, and lateral movement, but extremely competitive.
68​
RWFernströmFantastic scoring upside with major consistency issues in terms of pace, passing ability, and defensive compete. Poor body language at times as well.
69​
C/RWGojsicProjectable size, shooting, handling, and physical play in package that seems to be just scratching the surface of putting it all together.
70​
LDUstinkovYoung, smooth-skating defender with projectable size. Easy to like the upside, but really struggles to read play.
71​
RWWetschClassic bottom 6 projection as a speedy, north-south forechecker who competes hard and lives for interior play. Not exciting, but useful.
72​
C/RWSpellacySupreme athlete. Huge, fast, and an intense forechecker. Doesn't think the game well but with his physical traits he might not have to.
73​
LDHutsonSmart, slippery puck distributor with tremendous vision and a defensive/physical game that's borderline scary to ice.
74​
RDMewsA super talented defender in an awkward middle ground. Not quite a high-end offensive threat, not quite a good enough defensive presence.
75​
RW/CJechoThe size, forechecking, and shooting should theoretically produce a top prospect, but the consistency, processing, and skill hold his projection back.
76​
LW/RWMateikoBig, competitive, and physical forward who thrives around the net. Clunky, and far from a play driver, but excels in his role.
77​
RWMarquesAt his best, he's a chippy, deceptive playmaker who can still score. The issue is his pace, compete, and even interest can waver to a significant degree.
78​
RWMasséRespectable checking line upside with good scoring ability, though nothing stands out and his game regressed over the course of the year.
79​
GGidlöfImposing presence in net with excellent scanning and anticipation. Low pace, and without great lateral mobility, but a valuable framework.
80​
C/LWBerglundGreat defensive presence and dominant on the puck, particularly down low. Some flashes of skill. Very poor skater with no way to compensate for it.
81​
LDKolGreat shooting and mobility from the backend. Poor decisions with the puck and a lack of positional instincts make him a big time project.
82​
RWBattagliaStrong playmaker with solid vision and a willingness to park himself around the net, but also a wavering compete level and brutal skating.
83​
LW/CMisaOn the puck, he's a speedy, rush-centric attacker who can push play quickly. Off it, the tiny forward struggles to make much of an impact.
84​
LDKiviharjuExtremely crafty thinker and puck distributor. Poor trajectory, performances, and physical toolkit make him hard to buy into.
85​
LWWaltonHome run swing on a huge forward with a ton of tools: skating, shooting, passing and handling, but a long way off from being a player.
86​
LWMontgomeryExcellent mix of size, skating, and play driving for a big, overage winger. Needs to leverage his frame more and play with more consistent intensity.
87​
RDGillImpressive offensive instincts and ability to jump into play, and while his defensive game isn't there yet, his frame could help the projection.
88​
RWPikkarainenGreat mix of raw physicality, interior play, and flashes of high end playmaking, but a long way to go to put it all together.
89​
C/LWJosephsonElite forechecker with great compete and puck movement in transition. Minimal offensive tools or ideas to be bet on.
90​
LDSmithConfident, intense, and as flashy as a defender can be, yet lacking tools and without a sound fallback game at this point.
91​
LWMooreVideo game-like presence on the ice given his size, mobility, skill, and physical intensity, yet struggles processing the game even at the high school level.
92​
LDVäisänenMobile, jack-of-all-trades type defender with extreme poise on the puck. Difficult to project given a lot of lukewarm showings.
93​
LWSwansonElite yet tiny playmaker who might not even be a pick, but he has a nose for the net and competes well enough to justify the gamble.
94​
LDRalphAggressive, physical defender with a ton of size. Basically a dice roll since he bullied kids at the prep level all year.
95​
GGeorgeIncredible mental fortitude in net, as well as a proven big game player. Lack of size, athleticism, and high end reflexes make him a difficult hit.
96​
LDFischerEnviable combination of size, mobility, and youth give a lot of runway, but very little of his game is rosterable at this point.
97​
RW/CProcyszynDangerous off-puck threat in transition. Not a ton of skill, but facilitates plays and brings an extremely heavy physical game.
98​
LDEliassonTotal goon. Not much of a hockey player at this point, but as physically violent as a prospect can be. A bit of skating ability to build off of.
99​
RDBernierBalanced two-way presence. Decent offensive instincts, strong defensive foundation. Maybe not enough to bank on for a defender out of the QMJHL.
100​
LW/CVan VlietFlashes of 1st round caliber skating/shooting/play driving, though intermittent compete and lack opportunity hides his true upside.
---
-
HMLW/CCaswellSolid puck distributor without major weakness and who can elevate his line, yet never really stands out due to a lack of high end compete or skill.
HMLDFransénSkating, vision, and play driving are all easy to like, yet his decision making and engagement can crumble very quickly and very easily.
HMLDGalvasGreat mobility and defensive intent for an undersized defender, but near impossible to project to an NHL roster without elite skill.
HMLWHynninenHigh pace/intensity winger with solid skating. A bit of playmaking ability, but difficult to project as a forechecker at his size and without real skill.
HMC/RWKoivuExcellent shooter and high intensity forechecker, but a ways to go in terms of having any sort of overall game. Good runway, and needs all of it.
HMCParkNot sure there's much of an outlook for a sound, two-way prep kid without elite skill, but he's always effective in viewings.
HMC/RWPattersonElectric offensive talent who heavily relies on linemates to do the work for him. Interesting gamble since he just graduated from the OJHL.
HMRWPowellHuge overager who thrives off interior play. Rough skater with puck management issues, but a much savvier playmaker than his profile suggests.
HMGSaarinenImpressive size, puck tracking, and adjustments in net, but little else. Betting on skating, athleticism, and recoverability to develop in time.
HMLWVuolletIncredibly crafty winger with solid scoring upside and poise on the puck. Inconsistent pace, and not super toolsy, but shows intent as a backchecker.

Goalies too! And oh boy, there’s not a lot of consensus with them this year. I’m very curious when the goalie rush starts.

evnted

Apr 14, 2016

Goalies too! And oh boy, there’s not a lot of consensus with them this year. I’m very curious when the goalie rush starts.

very, very unusual class for goalies. theres been a few things that have come out since, but up until the last couple weeks i thought i was going crazy seeing little to no support for the guys i liked the most lol. in spite of the online consensus, i really struggle to think teams view this major junior class as being anywhere close to the level of the RUS/SWE/etc. talent. its not that they arent worth being picked, but against the likes of moysevich, zarubin, gildof, and so on, they just dont stack up

funny enough, the one non-NA option a lot of people do like (vinni) i find to be pretty overrated. showy, exciting to watch move around in net, but monumental struggles trying to mentally keep up with play, and while i know he was playing up a level in mestis, i saw him completely implode too often. his name has been around for so long i feel like people are just afraid to give up on him at this point

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
very, very unusual class for goalies. theres been a few things that have come out since, but up until the last couple weeks i thought i was going crazy seeing little to no support for the guys i liked the most lol. in spite of the online consensus, i really struggle to think teams view this major junior class as being anywhere close to the level of the RUS/SWE/etc. talent. its not that they arent worth being picked, but against the likes of moysevich, zarubin, gildof, and so on, they just dont stack up

funny enough, the one non-NA option a lot of people do like (vinni) i find to be pretty overrated. showy, exciting to watch move around in net, but monumental struggles trying to mentally keep up with play, and while i know he was playing up a level in mestis, i saw him completely implode too often. his name has been around for so long i feel like people are just afraid to give up on him at this point

Leave Vinni alone! I’m working on my sandwich recipe to name after him.

On a serious note, is that Michael Misa who got granted exceptional status? And it if it is, what happened to him, didn’t develop as expected?

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
Leave Vinni alone! I’m working on my sandwich recipe to name after him.

On a serious note, is that Michael Misa who got granted exceptional status? And it if it is, what happened to him, didn’t develop as expected?
luke misa, his brother. although michael's d-1 season was definitely not where people were expecting given his rookie year, so the answer to your question might very well be yes anyway. just have to re-ask it this time next year lol

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
luke misa, his brother. although michael's d-1 season was definitely not where people were expecting given his rookie year, so the answer to your question might very well be yes anyway. just have to re-ask it this time next year lol
Cool, thank you. I thought it might’ve been a year too early, didn’t realize he had an older brother.

I hope the draft strategy for round 3 and beyond is speedy righty centers with good two-way play. Get a bunch of them like when they took a ton of RDs in ‘22.

Still pissed the traded away the Zohan. He should be competing for a 4th line gig this year. @Guadana Did you say he bought a house so he might now be coming over anytime soon?

• Love
Reactions: Guadana and evnted

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Cool, thank you. I thought it might’ve been a year too early, didn’t realize he had an older brother.

I hope the draft strategy for round 3 and beyond is speedy righty centers with good two-way play. Get a bunch of them like when they took a ton of RDs in ‘22.

Still pissed the traded away the Zohan. He should be competing for a 4th line gig this year. @Guadana Did you say he bought a house so he might now be coming over anytime soon?
I think he will spend this year on Russia because he is young father. I believe Fitz decided to go other way. Overall Bardakov isn't very productive, he is playing defensive role, so. I still not happy about the move, hope Fitz wil find players like him for our system.

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
Absolutely outstanding job, @evnted -- truly impressive work here. I'm super proud to have worked with you on the draft this year. You're one of the most talented NHL draft writers I've seen emerge in the past decade.
must be something in the water on these boards :sarcasm: but much appreciated, esp coming from one of the gold standards of draft analysis (@Guadana too lol)

it kinda feels like this year is the big sendoff from being a draft-focused team to being a prime contender for the next number of years, so im glad we were able to go a bit over the top with coverage (please ignore that we said all of this in 2022 as well lmao). feedback in general has been great, too. appreciative of everyone jumping in the conversation so much

hopefully tom rewards the effort by picking a board favorite tomorrow. i am definitely still game to do some group post-draft analysis of our haul btw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad