Game 7 SCF - Would you rather have Peak Crosby or Current McDavid?

Who would you rather have in game 7 of SCF?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
If you added peak Crosby to this Panthers team, they'd still lose Game 7.

They look HORRIBLE out there.

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021
Sid easily, it was obvious that Sid would bring 10+ performance to the table on a game like this, McDavid might dominate like he has done in half of the final games, but it's just as likely that he is invisible like he was tonight and has been in other half of the final games.

Craft Beer Lover

Nov 14, 2022
Mt Laurel, NJ
Other dude said “cups” not cup, Learn to read.

Anywho the answer is 97. Sid is Sakic to McDavid’s
Sid easily, it was obvious that Sid would bring 10+ performance to the table on a game like this, McDavid might dominate like he has done in half of the final games, but it's just as likely that he is invisible like he was tonight and has been in other half of the final game
LOL...just a distraction. How will you cope when McDavid lifts the Cup over his head on Monday night?? :huh:

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Sid easily, it was obvious that Sid would bring 10+ performance to the table on a game like this, McDavid might dominate like he has done in half of the final games, but it's just as likely that he is invisible like he was tonight and has been in other half of the final games.
Sure, because Crosby NEVER went pointless in the Stanley cup finals :laugh:

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
Growing up is realizing that playoff Crosby had 3 other HOF talents performing at equal or greater levels for his cup runs and when they stopped performing he stopped performing.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I hated Crosby early in his career. Rangers fan, whiny-ish young star, etc. By the time he was 24 I had nothing but respect for him and admiration for the type of game he plays, how much he’s grown since 2005, how complete he became, etc.

With that said, Crosby is, essentially, the most elite grinder in hockey history. McDavid, is very likely the best - not greatest - player in NHL history. Again, not comparing against eras or talking adjusted totals, just the level of hockey, with the speed and level of competition, is objectively the best hockey that’s ever been played. McDavid has taken the step to cementing himself as probably the #5 at minimum.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Truth is, Crosby was not he best player on the team in any of his three cup wins.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Out of curiosity, I looked up Crosby's performance in game 7's. Let me know if I missed any, but I think he's played in seven:
  1. 2009 vs Washington - huge game. Best player on either team. Scored two goals and a primary assist. Led his team in defensive zone starts (both 5v5 and overall).
  2. 2009 vs Detroit (SCF) - Crosby actually missed half the game due to injury (and was held scoreless in just under 10 minutes of ice time). Pittsburgh won thanks to Max Talbot's two goals.
  3. 2010 vs Montreal - bad game. Crosby was held scoreless. He also took a dumb penalty ten seconds into the game, on which the Habs scored. They never relinquished the lead.
  4. 2014 vs Rangers - held scoreless for the third game 7 in a row. He played well, but Lundqvist had one of the best games of his career.
  5. 2016 vs Tampa Bay - scoreless for the 4th game 7 in a row. Similar comment as 2014 - he played well (generated a ton of shots, and the corsi-type data shows that the Pens dominated possession when he was on the ice). Bryan Rust scored both of Pittsburgh's goals.
  6. 2017 vs Washington - secondary assist on the game winning goal. Ironically I don't think he played any better than in 2014 or 2016, just that he had (somewhat) better luck.
  7. 2017 vs Ottawa - primary assist on the OT winner. Played almost 27 minutes and (once again) looks great according to the corsi-type data.
Crosby's game 7 record is a mixed bag. In terms of the team's record, Pittsburgh went 5-2. He had one incredible game (2009). He had a couple of other games where he was held to one point, but those were on the series-winning goals. He had a couple of games where he played well, but was held scoreless. He had two "bad" games - 2010 where his dumb penalty gave the Habs a very early lead, and then 2009 vs Detroit when he was injured. Overall I'd say Crosby's output in game 7's is solid, but underwhelming for someone who's in contention for #5 all-time.

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
McDavid is a better player now than Crosby ever was. Anyone not choosing him is simply wrong.

Die-heard Crosby fans who were young when he started his career are going to experience a lot of misery if they can't accept younger players surpassing his career or accomplishments. McDavid will do so, but I don't think he'll be the only one in the next 30 or 40 years.

Crosby's had a great career (that I respect), but this isn't a modern-day Gretzky we're talking about. He's not untouchable. Hell, from his own generation, I don't think he's that far ahead of Ovechkin, who will break the goal record within the next two years.

I've enjoyed seeing McDavid's career unfold and progress toward surpassing his, and if a player comes along and surpasses Connor in the next 15 or so years, I'll love to watch it happen and won't constantly be pouting about it... not because I have anything against McDavid but because it'll be exciting and great to experience.

Last edited:

Offtheboard412

Feb 26, 2012
Die-heard Crosby fans who were young when he started his career are going to experience a lot of misery if they can't accept younger players surpassing his career or accomplishments. McDavid will do so, but I don't think he'll be the only one in the next 30 or 40 years.

Crosby's had a great career (that I respect), but this isn't a modern-day Gretzky we're talking about. He's not untouchable. Hell, from his own generation, I don't think he's that far ahead of Ovechkin, who will break the goal record within the next two years.

I've enjoyed seeing McDavid's career unfold and progress toward surpassing his, and if a player comes along and surpasses Connor in the next 15 or so years, I'll love to watch it happen and won't constantly be pouting about it... not because I have anything against McDavid but because it'll be exciting and great to experience.
It really shouldn't even be that controversial of a topic really due to how much time Crosby missed in his 20's. Like even if you considered McDavid to just be equal to Crosby in terms of ability, as long as he managed to stay relatively injury free he was almost guaranteed to have a more accomplished career. I pretty much knew after McDavid's second year that he was going to surpass Crosby's career provided he didn't deal with some kind of career threatening injury. I don't see it even as a knock on Crosby really, it's just the reality of the situation. He simply missed way too much time in his early 20's.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
I picked McDavid but it's no slight to Crosby. Crosby is one of my favorite non-Duck/non-Oiler players, absolutely incredible player at both times ends of the ice. I just think that McD is an absolute game shattering talent.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
87 is the better player

97 is the most exciting player I've ever seen outside of Pavel Bure (and no I am not insinuating that they are peers).

Sample size / age
FOUR SCF finals isn’t enough of a sample size? Get out of here LOL. And as far as age goes, literally only peak/prime years (20-29).

There’s no excuses, Crosby has been very subpar (for his calibre of player) in cup finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad