Game 7 SCF - Would you rather have Peak Crosby or Current McDavid?

Who would you rather have in game 7 of SCF?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Crosby is one of those guys that gets every free pass in the book given to them. He didn’t even play half of Game 7 against Detroit during Pittsburgh’s first win and underperformed during each and every Finals appearance, but sure, let’s pretend he’s this SCF god.

For someone who gets so much hype based on a moment (The so-called Golden Goal), he sure doesn’t have them in the Finals.

Nothing that even resembles what McDavid has done the past two games.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
e113ccd6fd8a8c0be14974e194886cf3.jpg

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
Sid is my favourite non Duck of all time.

For years I would’ve said Sid no matter what.

Still love Sid more than McDavid but I think it’s clear now that McDavid is a Top 5 player of all time AT LEAST.

Sid’s a beast, a winner and a leader and a top 10 player of all time AT LEAST. Connor is just able to dominate differently though.

I might still take Sid until McDavid wins one. If it’s a full series though at this point you take McDavid no matter what.

• Love
Reactions: Craft Beer Lover

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
There still can be a debate right now. If Oilers win this series, there's no debate especially if McDavid beat the playoffs points record

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Crosby is one of those guys that gets every free pass in the book given to them. He didn’t even play half of Game 7 against Detroit during Pittsburgh’s first win and underperformed during each and every Finals appearance, but sure, let’s pretend he’s this SCF god.
As of today, Crosby has a legitimate case for #5 all-time. There are several players who are in contention for that spot, but he might have a stronger case than anybody else. (I fully expect McDavid will pass him, sooner or later).

But one thing that's always bugged me about Crosby's resume is underwhelming numbers in the Stanley Cup finals. 20 points in 25 games is, frankly, disappointing for a player of his calibre. Most of the other top ~20 forwards look better (Gretzky, Lemieux, Howe, Beliveau, Hull, Lafleur, Trottier, Bossy, Messier, Clarke, Mikita, Sakic, etc.) scored at a higher rate, with many of them being substantially higher. The same is true of some of his peers (even if Crosby is a better playoff performer overall - Ovechkin, Kane, Kucherov, Zetterberg, etc).

There are a few counter-arguments - 25 games is a small sample size. He was a good two-way player. And this was during a lower scoring era than today. All those points are valid - but I don't know if that explains such weak output.

Even with this weakness, Crosby is still probably the top playoff performer of the post-lockout era, and he's arguably #5 all-time (until McDavid most likely passes him). But this is a legit weakness in his resume.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad