Confirmed with Link: Walman and a 2nd Round Pick traded to SJ

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
As much as you know he doesn't have information...
I'm not buying the fact that dozens of NHL teams are giving this guy factual information on how they view specific player trade values, whether they would've taken the player off waivers, etc.

There's nothing positive to gain by doing that oncesoever so I'm not buying it. Whatever info he's got from higher ups is likely not 100% truthful as again, it makes no sense to discuss your team strategy with a twitter blabbermouth.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Ya think? Over a 2nd?
Yes. It’s not about the asset it’s about horrific asset management. It baffles me how much leeway people have for Yzerman despite bad moves that are made. If it was Chiarelli making this move, all of you would be constantly clowning him. Just because he’s a Detroit legend doesn’t mean he’s an infallible front office executive.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

better Red than Dead

Apr 23, 2021
So we have zero examples of "Future considerations" amounting to anything, much less something substantial. We have reporting that sources inside the sharks organization say there is nothing more to this. And we're still gonna keep spinning conspiracy theories that this is some 4D chess move?

When is the deadline that we can move on from expecting future considerations to turn into something? Today at noon? July 1st? I want to get those goalposts cemented down
You’re right, more than likely it’s nothing, but there must be more to this because I refuse to believe that Yzerman would make this type of move impulsively and without logical reasoning

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

RedHawkDown

Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Hard to keep track, what are we talking about here?
Perhaps a general manager unloading valuable assets to get rid of a player that other teams would have actually traded somehting of value for ? You know, the kind of thing that every other GM in the league would be rightfully blasted for doing? The kind of thing Cliff Fletcher supposedly did when he confused Jeff Finger with someone else and signed the wrong guy?

IF it’s true that there’s nothing more to this and Yzerman simply didn’t do any due diligence and didn’t even try to get something for Walman, it is gross incompetence. I’m not going to judge our GM differently than I would any other Gm in the league just because he is/was one of my favorite players of all time.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Yes. It’s not about the asset it’s about horrific asset management. It baffles me how much leeway people have for Yzerman despite bad moves that are made. If it was Chiarelli making this move, all of you would be constantly clowning him. Just because he’s a Detroit legend doesn’t mean he’s an infallible front office executive.
Because I like about 80% of the things he does do? Never expected perfection.

I would be banging the drum if he was doing Rob Blake type moves. But your pitchfork moment is a 2nd rounder? Alright, go on.

better Red than Dead

Apr 23, 2021
If it’s true that all the other GMs would have traded picks for Walman, Mike Grier must be the most savage and amazing GM ever. I mean he screwed Yzerman over. Or, like I believe, there must be more to this, because I have a hard time believing that Yzerman called SJ offering Walman, and Grier saying no way, only if you give me a 2nd rd pick on top of it, and Yzerman blindly saying yes, sure, done.

Reactions: DatsDeking

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Michael Brandsegg-Nygard or Bust.
May 11, 2023

Yeah, it's a dumb move.

Btu he's still a damn good GM.

Sweeney in Boston, he had three firsts in a row and somehow missed on Kyle Connor, Matthew Barzal, and Thomas Chabot. Absolute clown-show drafting. But Boston was also one of the best teams in the league for a decade.

If Pete Chiarelli made that move it would be clowned on because he did other stupid shit like giving Koskinen 4x4.5 a couple days before he was fired. Like, he would get laughed at because he would do nonsense and follow it up with more nonsense.

This is the first move of Yzerman's that I'm really scratching my head about. Signing guys like Copp and Holl... while I didn't love them, I know those guys aren't as bad at hockey as the people who hate them will claim.

But the thing is... Walman wasn't a great player. And hell last year, it's kinda arguable as to whether he was even a good player. Even if you think he was, he's nowhere near talented enough to be the distraction he was. Guys like Kuznetsov and Semin? They could be space cadets and love their powder because they were supremely talented hockey players. Walman was an okay defenseman on his good days.

I will say, it does feel like another shoe has to drop. The Wings have too much existing cap space to be pressured to create more to improve their team.

Reactions: SirloinUB

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
If it’s true that all the other GMs would have traded picks for Walman, Mike Grier must be the most savage and amazing GM ever. I mean he screwed Yzerman over. Or, like I believe, there must be more to this, because I have a hard time believing that Yzerman called SJ offering Walman, and Grier saying no way, only if you give me a 2nd rd pick on top of it, and Yzerman blindly saying yes, sure, done.
The thing I don't understand is what else can SJ do? They can't retain salary. Nobody was put on waiver for them to take for us. Draft picks would have been involved in the trade if those were in place. It sounds more and more like it was just a cap dump.

minimal

Apr 12, 2024
If nothing else comes from it, then yes, this move stinks. But he should be fired over trading a second round pick that he received the same day? Get over yourself.

Interesting reports from Sean Shapiro, but I'm taking it with a grain of salt. He's a reporter, but not an actual insider. Plus him and the other Detroit online media had a lot of personal investment in Walman that makes their takes somewhat unbearable at the moment. I don't like how this makes me feel like I'm connecting strings on a cork board or someone still trying to shill Gamestop, but this is so out of character for Yzerman that I kinda refuse to believe that there's not something more here until I hear it directly from his mouth.

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
You’re right, more than likely it’s nothing, but there must be more to this because I refuse to believe that Yzerman would make this type of move impulsively and without logical reasoning
Although most of the time Futures are nothing, there are some recent examples of it being something, such as the Vegas entry draft where they gave future considerations to some teams for taking on contract dumps where the futures were Vegas did not select or specifically selected certain non-protected players from teams.

We have no idea WTF SY has cooked up with Grier, but we should have a good idea by Tuesday next week, I suspect there could be several items on the table depending upon how things shake out, but I have to believe SY wanted to book his cap space, 1 roster spot and 1 more contract slot for reasons yet unknown to us yet. The steep price paid and who was involved has to have some benefit to his plan. (I think the Sharks also have first dibbs on any waiver players, should one hit the wire the wings want prior to buy out)

Cap play can be like chess sometimes, you have to sacrifice a piece, two or three to set the master plan in motion.

It also could be as simple as the cap dump prices might be going way up next week when the teams with room have reached the floor and SY wanted the roster spot so he could keep Ghost (just to to piss us all off), but I suspect if he keeps Ghost, one or both of Maata/Holl are gone too, 8 will be the maximum number of D-Men on the opening day roster. (I think SY will bring in one more RHD to be second line with Ed)

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I don't like how this makes me feel like I'm connecting strings on a cork board or someone still trying to shill Gamestop, but this is so out of character for Yzerman that I kinda refuse to believe that there's not something more here until I hear it directly from his mouth.
Ha. I still follow the Gamestop cult pretty closely because it's fascinating to me. I am DEFINITELY drawing parallels in my mind between that and the theories people are coming up with to try to justify this.

RedHawkDown

Aug 26, 2011
Canada
It's the kind of decision making that should raise upper managements' eyebrows, and would be the kind of thing that is referenced if the team doesn't make the playoffs next year and Yzerman's other moves don't do well. No shit he wouldn't get fired just because of a single move.

minimal

Apr 12, 2024
It's the kind of decision making that should raise upper managements' eyebrows, and would be the kind of thing that is referenced if the team doesn't make the playoffs next year and Yzerman's other moves don't do well. No shit he wouldn't get fired just because of a single move.
Let's be real, Yzerman is going to have a blank check for a long, long time. I can just barely imagine him being fired by Chris except for some outrageous, nuclear scenario.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
Vancouver just attached a 2nd to dump a player who after retention has a similar cap hit to Walman...

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
More consistent? WTF are you talking about? Walkman has been our 2nd best defensmen for 2 straight seasons. Seider and him have seen the hardest minutes on any pairing in the NHL and he has performed well.

Walkman never should have been traded, even if he is better suited to the 2nd pair and is more of a 4/5 defensmen on a good team. He is on a cheap deal and there is plenty of garbage Dmen to get rid of before him.

This was a bad trade plain and simple

This could be part of something bigger where getting rid of Walman made the most sense. Then add in the fact that Edvinsson is immediately our 2nd best dman by a larger margin.

I don't care about walman, I just want the team to get better. Let's revisit this after training camp.

jaster

Future Inconsiderations
Jun 8, 2007
With this train of thought that would be saying something like everyone who drives a Volkswagen is a Nazi and supports white supremacy…

Some here really need to get over themselves.
Some of you didn't watch enough Don Cherry to have an informed opinion, and it shows.

Reactions: norrisnick

jaster

Future Inconsiderations
Jun 8, 2007
For the love of god will someone please remove this garbage, and keep the focus on, checks notes: "Walman and a 2nd to San Jose."
Thread got repetitive. Needed some spice. Don't support racism.

Walman, as far as I know, is not a racist. Nor is the 2nd round pick, I believe.

Reactions: norrisnick

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Some of you didn't watch enough Don Cherry to have an informed opinion, and it shows.
Oh I’ve seen my fair share of Coaches Corner since ‘99 (God bless the creation of digital cable and Center Ice).

To me he’s just an old guy with an opinion (who quite honestly I’ve ignored his last few years) whether you agree with him or not that’s fine - that does not make him some card carrying member of some hate group.

Reactions: TKB and RedHawkDown

jaster

Future Inconsiderations
Jun 8, 2007
Oh I’ve seen my fair share of Coaches Corner since ‘99 (God bless the creation of digital cable and Center Ice).

To me he’s just an old guy with an opinion (who quite honestly I’ve ignored his last few years) whether you agree with him or not that’s fine - that does not make him some card carrying member of some hate group.
I don't think he's a card-carrying member of a hate group. Just a racist.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad