Confirmed with Link: Walman and a 2nd Round Pick traded to SJ

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
Dino Ciccarelli was a FAR bigger fan favorite player (and much, much better player than Jake Walman will ever be), played for a NHL-record-setting Wings team and he was shipped off to a bottom-feeder 4-year-old team in Tampa for a conditional pick simply because he pissed off management. These things happen.

jaster

Future Inconsiderations
Jun 8, 2007
I should have added…”Or a racist”.
Oh, well I'm not calling him a racist because I disagree with him. I generally don't call people I disagree with racists. I call him a racist because he's a racist. More accurately, xenophobic. Which, while there is a difference between the two, the end result is virtually the same.

Alright, anyway, I'll drop the Don Cherry talk. In this thread.

Back to the Walman theories. Did Holl get waived yet? Is that theory officially dead?

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I see these gifs featuring this guy - what show is this and is it something I should watch?

The show is "I think you should leave" on Netflix. That's local boy Tim Robinson.

His humor is an acquired taste but I'd give it a shot. Honestly I'd probably start with "Detroiters" with him and Sam Richardson. Then "I think you should leave."

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Now that people have mostly calmed from the initial shock, can we accept that if something makes so little sense on the outside that perhaps there's additional information we're not privy to?

Like I get people are impatient with Yzerman, and there's definitely things to critique, but when a move is so far outside his normal behavior that's been established for well over a decade...

Like why are we jumping to gross incompetence when it seems more likely a player that was getting healthy scratched down the stretch has a negative perceived value?

And the fact some are taking these anonymous rumors that there were GMs lining up for Walman but Yzerman just forgot how to trade... Like come on. These are the kinds of "leaked" puff pieces that teams like the Sharks float to look good during their rebuild that's been sputtering around and just accumulated a 47 point season. (Those in glass houses, I know)

I'm not saying it's impossible Yzerman completely forgot how to work the phones and negotiate but guys doesn't it seem really f***ing weird? Doesn't something seem really off about it given his entire career trade history?

I'm not asking for people to hand waive it away, I'm asking them to ask if it makes sense there's more to the story than what's being presented at face value. I'm filing this one under wait and see.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I thought Walman was very good and didn't remember someone here criticized him here , then it was his extension and ones again didn't remember someone complained. He was our first line d then he lost it to Chiarot. He got injured and team didn't play good without him. Now he got traded and I see a lot of expected fans here and on YouTube.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Now that people have mostly calmed from the initial shock, can we accept that if something makes so little sense on the outside that perhaps there's additional information we're not privy to?

Like I get people are impatient with Yzerman, and there's definitely things to critique, but when a move is so far outside his normal behavior that's been established for well over a decade...

Like why are we jumping to gross incompetence when it seems more likely a player that was getting healthy scratched down the stretch has a negative perceived value?

And the fact some are taking these anonymous rumors that there were GMs lining up for Walman but Yzerman just forgot how to trade... Like come on. These are the kinds of "leaked" puff pieces that teams like the Sharks float to look good during their rebuild that's been sputtering around and just accumulated a 47 point season. (Those in glass houses, I know)

I'm not saying it's impossible Yzerman completely forgot how to work the phones and negotiate but guys doesn't it seem really f***ing weird? Doesn't something seem really off about it given his entire career trade history?

I'm not asking for people to hand waive it away, I'm asking them to ask if it makes sense there's more to the story than what's being presented at face value. I'm filing this one under wait and see.
How long do we wait?

Reactions: izlez

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Dino Ciccarelli was a FAR bigger fan favorite player (and much, much better player than Jake Walman will ever be), played for a NHL-record-setting Wings team and he was shipped off to a bottom-feeder 4-year-old team in Tampa for a conditional pick simply because he pissed off management. These things happen.

I kind of remember Bowman blaming having to protect too many promising young guys in the upcoming waiver draft for that trade. Maybe that was just a cover, but at least we got some kind of explanation.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
How long do we wait?
I'd be surprised if there isn't something relevant in the next 2-3 days. Either the Sharks return the favor with a waiver claim, or another trade happens at the draft. Maybe the start of free agency at the latest, if it's tied to landing a bigger fish.

Or Yzerman really has lost his marbles. But I think what @Bench was getting at is that there's a difference between, "This doesn't make any sense of there isn't something else coming..." and, "I've already decided that this is a fireable offense, so grab the pitchforks!"

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
ya gotta wonder if this is all posturing for Ray and Mo contracts.

“You want more money, fine, here’s what we do when you want more money. You see? This is why we can’t have nice things!”

-Steven Eiserman
So, to play hardball with guys that need new contracts, he gets rid of a guy that is not negotiating a contract and is under a reasonable contract for 2 more years?

Not only does he get rid of him, but he throws in a high draft pick to really drive home the point... somehow.

Like.... we think Yzerman is a terrorist in a hostage negotiation and for every day Seider and Raymond don't sign the deal Yzerman wants, he kills another draft pick?

WHAT ARE WE TALKING ABOUT HERE???

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
How long do we wait?

It's been 2 days. Let's try to get through free agency, for starters.

And if you want concrete information, you might be waiting awhile. Look at Vrana getting jettisoned. We never got the full story.

Many of the same people here were calling Yzerman incompetent for not getting more value from him either. Taking a look at his brief career in St. Louis shows maybe people should have had a little more patience and perspective. Does that seem reasonable?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Like.... we think Yzerman is a terrorist in a hostage negotiation and for every day Seider and Raymond don't sign the deal Yzerman wants, he kills another draft pick?

Sign the damn contracts, or so help me, I'll send Fabbri and a second rounder to Chicago next!!! :laugh:

Reactions: Perfect Human

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
So, to play hardball with guys that need new contracts, he gets rid of a guy that is not negotiating a contract and is under a reasonable contract for 2 more years?

Not only does he get rid of him, but he throws in a high draft pick to really drive home the point... somehow.

It's a joke.

Reactions: Perfect Human

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
It's been 2 days. Let's try to get through free agency, for starters.

And if you want concrete information, you might be waiting awhile. Look at Vrana getting jettisoned. We never got the full story.

Many of the same people here were calling Yzerman incompetent for not getting more value from him either. Taking a look at his brief career in St. Louis shows maybe people should have had a little more patience and perspective. Does that seem reasonable?
The Vrana situation was disappointing. But, he had known issues. That's why we got him. That why he went into the PAP.

I also don't recall any reporters saying they talked to personnel around the league saying they would have given more for him

TKB

Jun 12, 2010
Chicago
Some of you didn't watch enough Don Cherry to have an informed opinion, and it shows.

I watched Don Cherry damn near every Saturday night (and when he was on the Wednesday games) since the inception of coaches corner until I moved to Chicago in 92.

Jaster I respect your hockey opion, I wholeheartedly disagree with your assement of Grapes.

Don't like him? Fine, to each his own, but calling him "racist and horrible person" is way over the top.

Was he blustery? Yes that is the schtick.

Overzealous (and ultimatley incorrect ) in his criticism of Russian and European players when they first started coming to NA?

Sure, but then again it is hard to ignore that when these players started coming over, in terms of agrressiveness and physicality, international play was not up to the North American standard and style that Cherry loves and advocated for. Not sure how that qualifies as racist or horrible.

Don Cherry went on HNIC for more than 30 years using the term "you people" nearly every Saturday night referencing whoever was on the opposite side of what he was arguing. When he used the same term lamenting the fact that the new generations Canadians don't wear the Poppy, it was deemed racist.

He is a proud, flag-waving Canadian willing to stick up for his coutnry men. That used to be considered patriotism. In today's world it is considered racist by the masses who aren't self aware enough to recognize they are committing the very sins they claim to abhor when they label,stereotype, and judge groups of people they disgaree with.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad