Confirmed with Link: Walman and a 2nd Round Pick traded to SJ

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Honestly, I admire Yzerman. He wants the right personalities on his team and he doesn't f*** around. Having that kind of mentality from the top down is pretty awesome. The message to the team is clear: buy in or GTFO.

That's exactly it. Building a winning culture starts with the right personality.

It's clear Yzerman was not a fan of Walman. Sounds like every other GM in the league always wasn;t a fan of his.

Reactions: SantosHalper

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
Well that's that. The reporter who said teams would've claimed him on waivers is full of shit.

Attachments

• yzerman-on-the-walman-trade-via-max-bultman-v0-gPA5QGhlwyNBJVMGIuENTTRS6LX1L2zqcU1DwpIxnec.jpg
    yzerman-on-the-walman-trade-via-max-bultman-v0-gPA5QGhlwyNBJVMGIuENTTRS6LX1L2zqcU1DwpIxnec.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 1

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
The contract that had to move was Walman, not Gibson. The claim is that 1) there are pending moves that required additional cap space, 2) Walman was the roster player chosen to deal in order to provide said cap space, 3) an additional draft pick was needed to deal Walman, and 4) swapping Gibson for Kiiskinen (who they rank equally) provided an additional pick.

Now I'm not saying I agree with all of those claims - particularly number 3 - but that's the scenario.

Ultimately this all depends on what the pending moves are. If Detroit lands Stamkos and Roy, the kids look good, and they make the playoffs, nobody will care about Jake Walman or the second rounder or Gibson. But if they strike out in free agency, make no significant trades, and use the money to bring back Ghost, it's going to be a lot of egg on Yzerman's face.

Where will Detroit find 11-12 million in cap space to sign Roy and Stamkos? Detroit will have about 16 million in cap space after signing Ray and Mo. Rumors are that Yzerman wants to keep Ghost and Kane which could eat another 10 million in cap space. Even if you dump Holl and Fabbri you're only looking at around 10 million in cap space and a lot of roster spots left to fill.

Well that's that. The reporter who said teams would've claimed him on waivers is full of shit.
There is nothing about this statement that proves that reporter is full of shit.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
The guy who is paid for click bait stories usually has the motive to lie.
"I tried" also doesn't mean anything. I say that to my girlfriend when she asks me to take out the garbage during a game. "I tried, but moving my ass off the couch right now is hard. Honestly, I've tried".

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
"I tried" also doesn't mean anything. I say that to my girlfriend when she asks me to take out the garbage during a game. "I tried, but moving my ass off the couch right now is hard. Honestly, I've tried".
Stevie isn't just randomly attaching a 2nd to Walman for shits and giggles. He was never getting claimed off waivers like that reporter said. Just click bait bs reporting.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Stevie isn't just randomly attaching a 2nd to Walman for shits and giggles. He was never getting claimed off waivers like that reporter said. Just click bait bs reporting.

Given the trades we're seeing I can't believe that the only way to move Walman is to attach a second to him. Even if you think he's a 3rd pairing guy, his cap hit is perfectly in line with that. This wasn't a boat anchor contract with a useless player.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Dunno if it's been mentioned here but Yzerman responded after the draft regarding the Walman trade and he straight up said it is hard to move money in this league right now. Don't think he's quite dumb enough to throw in sweeteners for fun like the 2nd he did

Gibson is expendable anyway, and Yzerman managed the 2nd round pick out of that even if you consider Gibson for Kiiskinen a lateral move

Walman had played himself into a dog house and he's 28 now. We got a nice stretch of play from him, but it's definitely time to move on considering we need bigger and better things on D. Yzerman is clearly trying to work on that for this franchise, and the money factor very much actively plays into the it. We're yet to see what is to come there but I have hope

Best of luck to Wally

Reactions: wings95

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
Given the trades we're seeing I can't believe that the only way to move Walman is to attach a second to him. Even if you think he's a 3rd pairing guy, his cap hit is perfectly in line with that. This wasn't a boat anchor contract with a useless player.
It's not like Steve led with a 2nd to only SJ. He would've asked around the league and various teams would've turned down 4ths/3rds/2nds.

This is the best he could do. Nobody wanted Walman. Detroit didn't even want Walman with the playoffs in their grasp.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
It's not like Steve led with a 2nd to only SJ. He would've asked around the league and various teams would've turned down 4ths/3rds/2nds.

This is the best he could do. Nobody wanted Walman. Detroit didn't even want Walman with the playoffs in their grasp.
They didn't want Walman with Petry, Holl, Chiarot, Copp and Fabbri who are all way more dead weight than Walman? Detroit wasn't nearly as close to the playoffs as the standings make it seem. Detroit is a one trick pony team where the wheels come off when Larkin gets hurt or checks out. And Larkin is getting hurt more often and is getting older.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
They didn't want Walman with Petry, Holl, Chiarot, Copp and Fabbri who are all way more dead weight than Walman?

We got a lot of dead weight can't get rid of them all. Could be a character issue with Walman doesn't matter - my whole point is that reporter is full of shit for saying that they knew for a fact Walman would've gotten claimed off waivers.

That's bullshit. Nobody is doing us that favor when they could get a decent pick for doing so.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Where will Detroit find 11-12 million in cap space to sign Roy and Stamkos? Detroit will have about 16 million in cap space after signing Ray and Mo. Rumors are that Yzerman wants to keep Ghost and Kane which could eat another 10 million in cap space. Even if you dump Holl and Fabbri you're only looking at around 10 million in cap space and a lot of roster spots left to fill.
My idea for chasing both Stamkos and Roy is predicated on Ghost getting the hell out of town. I want defensemen that actually play defense, even if that means scoring drops (last year Detroit was 9th in goals scored and 25th in goals allowed).

Kane is another matter and depends entirely on what kind of deal he's willing to take. If he comes in around $4.5Mx3 or $5Mx2 then I'd squeeze him in and then sort out who needs to move to make it work. But if he's insisting on north of $6M a year then I'd rather have Stamkos and let Kane walk.

Reactions: Michael Brand Eggs

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Even if Wings made the playoffs, Walman was never suiting up to play another game for DRWs. Something broke and all the GMs across the league saw it and probably knew something was up.

Walman only has value to fans. Unfortunately, their feels on the matter don't matter.

Walman probably would have more value after the UFA-frenzy or after the start of the regular season. Yzerman wanted to move him now to make room for Trouba (or whoever).

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016

There is nothing about this statement that proves that reporter is full of shit.

I believe it's much more likely to sign stammer to a 4 year deal than to give in to Kane's demands

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
Anyone else find it kinda funny almost all the guys Steve traded for, we turned around and got rid of a year or two later? I think Fabbri and Perry are the only ones we retained.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
The standings show they were 1 point away. Were they actually more than 1? Do the standings…. lie?
Yes, standings can lie. Detroit lost control of their destiny when Larkin went down and spent the period between the end of February and the end of the season losing more games than they won by an almost 2-1 margin and were 8-15. That’s not a team with the playoffs in their grasp. It’s like saying a game that was 4-2 was close but the second goal was scored with 3 seconds left in the third. Things can look on paper closer than they are.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
They didn't want Walman with Petry, Holl, Chiarot, Copp and Fabbri who are all way more dead weight than Walman? Detroit wasn't nearly as close to the playoffs as the standings make it seem. Detroit is a one trick pony team where the wheels come off when Larkin gets hurt or checks out. And Larkin is getting hurt more often and is getting older.
You know the standings determine who makes the playoffs, right?

Michael Brand Eggs

Knee Guard
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Allegedly, this is exactly what happened. Other teams let it be known that they wanted in on that deal.

Of course, I think many of us now believe that 2nd was actually a down payment on Trouba, and not anything to do with Walman. Whether that materializes, we'll see.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Anyone else find it kinda funny almost all the guys Steve traded for, we turned around and got rid of a year or two later? I think Fabbri and Perry are the only ones we retained.

Considering good players have NMC and Wings could barely muster up 50 points in a season like 3 years ago, then yeah... it makes perfect sense he had to go bargain bin hunting. He also turned some of those into draft picks/real assets; incrementally building a team through the course of 5 years.

He finally has this team on the upswing and he is starting to attract better players; Debrincat / Kane. That will increase as the team gets better and more competitive. Until then, what good player wants to go to DRWs unless they are getting severely overpaid?

Perhaps now Stamkos might be looking this way. Maybe Roy. Maybe Trouba?

So to answer your question, not it's not funny. It's logical.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $75.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • USA vs Uruguay
    USA vs Uruguay
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $682.00