Confirmed with Link: Walman and a 2nd Round Pick traded to SJ

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
He is not anyhow comparable to Walman.

Montour is more of a right-handed Gostisbehere.

Montour is 30-years old everybody loves because the grass is greener.
Gostisbehre is 31-year old everybody hates, because he was here for 1 year.

Take it as you will.

Ps.

Just a reality check.
- Montour, 106 points at last 2 seasons
- Gostisbehere, 97 points at last 2 seasons.
- Walman, 39 points at last 2 seasons.
I mean as in top 4 reliable defensively. A defenseman should be able to play defense first and foremost. I think that rules both Walman and Ghost out.

Reactions: Henkka

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
And once the rebuilding teams reach the cap floor, the price of salary dumps likely goes way up this year as the silly season approaches, the other things now open are 2 contract slots and one LHD roster spot, it cost a prospect swap to get those thigs, I liked Gibson, but depending on the next couple of weeks, his path to the wings would likely closed for several years, so a swap for a forward that may have a chance seems logical to me. The fact we got a pick to allow the dump is gravy.
as far as I can tell Walman is considered much better a player than most of our defenders. What do we have to do to get rid of Holl? 2 1sts?

Walman is considered a good defender. It feels strange that Yzerman overpaid that much.

jaster

Future Inconsiderations
Jun 8, 2007
Walman was scratched in 12 of the final 14 games last season. Ghost, in roughly those same games, played like a man possessed. In the games that mattered most, Ghost was a far superior player to Walman.

Just tossing that out there, since Ghost gets bagged on so much, and some people seem to only remember the 22-23 version of Walman.

WFIAA

Aug 2, 2016
I got some more insight yesterday and the bottom line is that Walman, down the stretch when the team was going through their two extended slumps, really burned some bridges in the locker room. That's why he's gone.

Keeping with what Yzerman told the entire organization when he was brought in, that everyone (from coaching staff down to arena staff) is expected to go above and beyond your job requirements, or you will not be part of the organization, Walman (just like Mantha, Vrana, Bertuzzi, Zadina) gets himself removed from the organization. Yzerman has been trying to trade him since the end of the season with absolutely no takers. The part about other GMs being surprised that he was available? "Total bullshit" was the response to that.
My question is, why was the price to unload Walman exponentially higher than unloading Vrana? That makes zero sense.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
as far as I can tell Walman is considered much better a player than most of our defenders. What do we have to do to get rid of Holl? 2 1sts?

Walman is considered a good defender. It feels strange that Yzerman overpaid that much.
Walman never seemed to get back to 2022/23 form after his fall into the net, if anything, got worse as the season progressed, I can only see 2 reasons for the apparent overpay:

1. Future Considerations are actually something worthwhile, but a mixed bag depending upon the draft/FA, such that they don't want players unduly upset, or

2. SY is used him as a scapegoat (especially if he was one of the room issues as alluded to elsewhere) and ensuring he went to a place far away and not leaving things to a waiver luck of the draw, in which case, I suspect the FC may be an unwritten Walman 31 team NTC.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
In his interview tonight on the Wings YouTube, Yzerman was asked about attaching the 2nd round pick to move Walman. His response was that it is really hard to move money right now, that he really tried, and this was the cost of moving the contract.

Reactions: Murmansk16A

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
In his interview tonight on the Wings YouTube, Yzerman was asked about attaching the 2nd round pick to move Walman. His response was that it is really hard to move money right now, that he really tried, and this was the cost of moving the contract.
That makes absolutely no sense when he could have been just waived and claimed.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Hard to buy that he really tried when he really didnt try just waiving the guy.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
it'd lower his value even more if he waived anyhow knowing everyone was going to pass on him in waivers. That's the risk.

Yzerman's point in the interview was giving up the free 2nd pick he got from Nashville was worth moving money, he emphasized moving money right now is really difficult. He went on to say he sees Kiiskenen as the same value as Gibson [1-for-1].

That helps clear everything up. Sucks Walman didn't have any value, but it is what it is.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
ugh, I made the mistake of clicking the embed and glanced at the comments of the tweet. Such a crap platform any more. basically confirms what has been said here, though. Yzerman wanted the guy gone, found another move to get him the pick to make it happen, made it happen.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
When you see the full answer it’s very obvious Yzerman just did not want Walman here. He showed more disdain for losing Gibson.

At 5:30 of the clip he say he didn't really want to move Gibson, that's the only hack I got on him. Why do it then?
If you need to move a contract, move Gettinger or someone of less potential value. Or buy Gettinger out instead of moving Gibson. Obviously then you would have one 2nd round less as trade wouldn't happen, but would you rather have Gibson and a 2nd round less or Kiiskinen?

Obviously one could afford to move Gibson to get a interesting forward prospect back as there are enough d-men, but doesn't make sense to do it just to do it.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
At 5:30 of the clip he say he didn't really want to move Gibson, that's the only hack I got on him. Why do it then?
If you need to move a contract, move Gettinger or someone of less potential value. Or buy Gettinger out instead of moving Gibson. Obviously then you would have one 2nd round less as trade wouldn't happen, but would you rather have Gibson and a 2nd round less or Kiiskinen?

Obviously one could afford to move Gibson to get a interesting forward prospect back as there are enough d-men, but doesn't make sense to do it just to do it.
The contract that had to move was Walman, not Gibson. The claim is that 1) there are pending moves that required additional cap space, 2) Walman was the roster player chosen to deal in order to provide said cap space, 3) an additional draft pick was needed to deal Walman, and 4) swapping Gibson for Kiiskinen (who they rank equally) provided an additional pick.

Now I'm not saying I agree with all of those claims - particularly number 3 - but that's the scenario.

Ultimately this all depends on what the pending moves are. If Detroit lands Stamkos and Roy, the kids look good, and they make the playoffs, nobody will care about Jake Walman or the second rounder or Gibson. But if they strike out in free agency, make no significant trades, and use the money to bring back Ghost, it's going to be a lot of egg on Yzerman's face.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
The contract that had to move was Walman, not Gibson. The claim is that 1) there are pending moves that required additional cap space, 2) Walman was the roster player chosen to deal in order to provide said cap space, 3) an additional draft pick was needed to deal Walman, and 4) swapping Gibson for Kiiskinen (who they rank equally) provided an additional pick.

Now I'm not saying I agree with all of those claims - particularly number 3 - but that's the scenario.

Ultimately this all depends on what the pending moves are. If Detroit lands Stamkos and Roy, the kids look good, and they make the playoffs, nobody will care about Jake Walman or the second rounder or Gibson. But if they strike out in free agency, make no significant trades, and use the money to bring back Ghost, it's going to be a lot of egg on Yzerman's face.

Yes I understand that he sacrified Gibson to move Walman's contract. But, its risky as you say what if they don't sign who they intend to sign.
Brooks linking Detroit to Trouba as well...

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Yes I understand that he sacrified Gibson to move Walman's contract. But, its risky as you say what if they don't sign who they intend to sign.
Brooks linking Detroit to Trouba as well...
Agreed. At this point I'm assuming/hoping that the pending moves are home runs in nature and essentially already locked in, for Detroit to have done something as strange as this trade.

Fingers crossed that Monday is Christmas in July...

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Didn't have any value? Unless I'm missing something he had negative value. We threw in a 2nd.

the absence of light is darkness... :laugh::laugh:

main-qimg-2e3e00aff3958812d2125dc51c9e383b

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad