Value of: Best 1 for 1 return for Askarov

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Could Nashville sign Saros long term then use Askarov as backup? Goalies are notoriously fickle and an injury to Saros with no quality backup would be very hurtful.

Kind of like the Bob/Knight situation in Florida, but hopefully Askarov stays healthy.

Mercer vs Askarov + sweetener doesnt seem too crazy to me either. NJ have their first 2 C locked in, have a few really good wingers, but mystery boxes in goals.

Although realistically a rookie goaltender probably fetches guys that are less "known value than Mercer, guys ala Dach/Newhook at the time they were traded. Who's the next young player with high draft pedigree that will be made available?

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Yeah and that was a bone head move

Askarov is gonna be a top 5 goalie in the NHL, Reinbacher is like a #3-4 D
Jeez sounds like you should quite your day job and become a scout.

The 15ht pick was Matthew woods.
So Hughs liked Reinbacher and i think most Habs fans were and still are happy in keeping Reinbacher . Time will tell.

Reactions: Johny

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Jeez sounds like you should quite your day job and become a scout.

The 15ht pick was Matthew woods.
So Hughs liked Reinbacher and i think most Habs fans were and still are happy in keeping Reinbacher . Time will tell.
keep toeing the line boy I’m sure it’ll pay off

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I can't see holding the Askarov asset that long when we have so many other holes that could be addressed by transferring it to a different position. We are not a good team at this stage and need help in pretty much any area.
I don't see us moving him with nothing in the pipeline if Saros were to go down for any extended period of time.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
I'd trade just about anything from Toronto for Askarov.

Nylander probably can't be extended. So if they need to move him, why not solve the goalie position for a decade while you do it? Nylander and Samsonov for Askarov and what?

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017

Nylander probably can't be extended. So if they need to move him, why not solve the goalie position for a decade while you do it? Nylander and Samsonov for Askarov and what?
I don't see the Leafs trading Nylander, but maybe a question worth thinking about if you did: what could you get from somebody else instead of Askarov? Askarov isn't ready for the NHL today, he's not better than Samsonov is. And he might never make it. That seems like a strange gamble for a contender to take. Sure, the payoff if he does make it would be nice... eventually. But you can probably get a much surer bet elsewhere? :dunno:

Reactions: banks

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
I don't see the Leafs trading Nylander, but maybe a question worth thinking about if you did: what could you get from somebody else instead of Askarov? Askarov isn't ready for the NHL today, he's not better than Samsonov is. And he might never make it. That seems like a strange gamble for a contender to take. Sure, the payoff if he does make it would be nice... eventually. But you can probably get a much surer bet elsewhere? :dunno:

I agree, there would be better "win-now" moves if the Leafs decide to move Nylander rather than pay him. But perhaps Nashville could add a defenseman, solving a "now" problem for the Leafs at the same time?

I expect that the management in TO will try to just find the money for Nylander. But I figure they should take the chance they have to balance out the cap structure and solve a position of need once and for all.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I agree, there would be better "win-now" moves if the Leafs decide to move Nylander rather than pay him. But perhaps Nashville could add a defenseman, solving a "now" problem for the Leafs at the same time?

I expect that the management in TO will try to just find the money for Nylander. But I figure they should take the chance they have to balance out the cap structure and solve a position of need once and for all.
In terms of defensemen, I don't think any of McDonagh, Barrie, or Schenn are really material to our team in Nashville atm. I know there are some leadership/intangibles reasons why we went after them, but if the team isn't going to make the playoffs anyway, we do have some other young D who I'd rather play most nights. Those guys are all probably still decent for what they do... just... where the Preds are right now doesn't really cry out for what they bring. :dunno:

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
In terms of defensemen, I don't think any of McDonagh, Barrie, or Schenn are really material to our team in Nashville atm. I know there are some leadership/intangibles reasons why we went after them, but if the team isn't going to make the playoffs anyway, we do have some other young D who I'd rather play most nights. Those guys are all probably still decent for what they do... just... where the Preds are right now doesn't really cry out for what they bring. :dunno:

Askarov + McDonagh for Nylander and Samsonov.

I know for a fact that a lot of Leafs fans wouldn't like it. But I like it.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA

This is simultaneously too much while also not making any sense for the Preds. Nylander walks in June after we fail to make the playoffs and fail to meet his contract demands. Not sure why Samsonov would even be included, there's no spot for him with Saros and Lankinen.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
This is simultaneously too much while also not making any sense for the Preds. Nylander walks in June after we fail to make the playoffs and fail to meet his contract demands. Not sure why Samsonov would even be included, there's no spot for him with Saros and Lankinen.

Obviously it only works if Nylander is down to extend with Nashville. Yes.

I'll admit I forgot NSH had Lankinen. So no need for Samsonov, you're right.

The idea was that Nashville was looking for a game breaking forward. I don't think there's better available anywhere than Nylander. If you'd like to counter, go right ahead.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Obviously it only works if Nylander is down to extend with Nashville. Yes.

I'll admit I forgot NSH had Lankinen. So no need for Samsonov, you're right.

The idea was that Nashville was looking for a game breaking forward. I don't think there's better available anywhere than Nylander. If you'd like to counter, go right ahead.
We do need a game-breaking forward (several really), but we're also likely heading into several year re-tool/no playoffs and have $8M-$11M in dead cap over the next 3 seasons. I can't see us spending the $11M-$12M Nylander's going to want, and he's also going to be 30 or older by the time we actually start competing again. We're likely to have Forsberg, Josi, and Saros still around, at that age or older, but if we're trading young cost-controlled assets it feels like the wrong type of player to target.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Askarov + McDonagh for Nylander and Samsonov.

I know for a fact that a lot of Leafs fans wouldn't like it. But I like it.
I'd do it. I love Askarov, but I do think he's a lot more uncertain than many fans here seem to think. Assuming the trade was predicated on the assumption that Nylander was at least "open" to signing for a nice payday in Nashville, anyway. Obviously we couldn't do it just for a rental player if he was totally uninterested. But he's a superstar now, and as long as we're in the running, that's a fair swap.

McDonagh is an "adequate" #4D with character/leadership attributes. But that doesn't really benefit us in Nashville atm with a non-competitive team.

If we add Samsonov, no real problem, we should be able to flip either him or Lankinen elsewhere? They are both valid NHL goalies, even if not starter material? I wouldn't hold up a deal just based on that goalie end of things anyway. :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad