Value of: Best 1 for 1 return for Askarov

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
No, Askarov put up some great numbers last year as a rookie, the only rookies with better numbers were 24-25.
He’s one of the better goalie prospects, but Askarov isn’t suddenly going to become the first goaltender in the modern era, to get anything of prime value in a trade, before he shows consistent NHL play.

He’s a goalie. They’re treated very differently than skaters when it comes to value. The most value he would have, would be in a trade to upgrade the NHL roster, as a piece in that trade. Likely to a rebuilding team.

What great numbers did he put up last year? 3 years out from his draft year, that’s about what was expected. Nothing earth shattering. He didn’t even have a .910 overall, including the 12 playoff games, and just above .910 during the regular season with 3 shutouts. A consistent .915 for a good year, is pretty standard, before you’re ready to get your big chance.

Nobody is trading prime assets for a goalie who’s not ready to play in the NHL. No manager is that nuts. It’s why we never see it. Never.

He’s a goalie, who’s played ONE NHL game and he got lit up.

If people want the types of value they are proposing, he’s going to have to do what I mentioned earlier. Have a year or two of consistent play, backing up Saros. That’s how Schneider got value for example.

Ask yourself, why would Askarov suddenly be treated any differently than any other goalie in the modern era??

Trading him now, would be no different than when the Leafs traded Rask. They got Andrew Raycroft in return. A sub .900 goalie, who just had a garbage year, but showed promise the year prior.

If they straight up put him on the market, they’d probably get a 2nd round pick, or a good forward prospect, but nothing Grade A. Like I said before. Maybe the Leafs or Oilers, who are desperate, would give a late 1st, but still not likely for him to play this year. For the future.

He’s NOT READY until he shows he’s ready. Nobody is taking that chance to trade for him, to play him in the NHL immediately. His “Value” just isn’t where it will likely be in 2 years. If you trade him now, you’re gonna be disappointed in the return.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Best offer from the Habs would likely be Mailloux, a RD with a lot of offensive potential but still raw.

Other options would be Harris, Xhekaj, Barron or Beck.

Suzuki, Caufield, Dach, Newhook, Slaf, Hutson, Reinbacher, Guhle would be off the table.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
If you trade him now, you’re gonna be disappointed in the return.
Like I mentioned regarding Hart: you can't expect Carey Price value since you just don't trade a young Carey Price. If Hart (or Askarov) is moved, it's because the team doesn't expect he'll live up to his potential.

Reactions: Petes2424 and Ciao

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Best offer from the Habs would likely be Mailloux, a RD with a lot of offensive potential but still raw.

Suzuki, Caufield, Dach, Newhook, Slaf, Hutson, Reinbacher, Guhle would be off the table.
How generous
Like I mentioned regarding Hart: you can't expect Carey Price value since you just don't trade a young Carey Price. If Hart (or Askarov) is moved, it's because the team doesn't expect he'll live up to his potential.

Nashville has Saros, while we don't need to move him, there's a reason to that doesn't involve Askarov failing to live up to his potential.

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Absolutely this. There's little reason to explore these options until we actually have the problem of two legit #1 goaltenders on the roster. For a variety of different reasons, this may never be a scenario that occurs.
One of which is injury.

Askarov will eventually be one injury to your starter away from being your starter. That could happen any time.

If you have a potential star goalie in your system, kind of shortsighted to trade him based on another player's contract status.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
They’d be dumb to trade him right now. Let him grow into the goalie he can be, and have him become the backup. When he’s really ready for the starter spot then you trade him, and by then you may choose to keep him over Saros. You need three goalies these days anyways.

Reactions: Ciao

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
If you were looking at this from the perspective of what NHL GMs would actually give up, you'd probably also have to strike around half the potential suitors off the list just straight away due to the likelihood that some scouting departments just won't buy into Askarov's "style", period. What I mean is, he is highly unorthodox and has some glaring technical flaws in the way he plays the position compared to the straight-arrow old school mentality that many NHL GMs/scouts seem to have. There are probably a lot out there who just think Askarov is ultimately doomed to fail for that reason, and wouldn't give the time of day for him, regardless of how good his numbers in the AHL are.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
The age gap between them lessens that concern for me. Saros will be 35 and Askarov 27 by then. Askarov can spend a few years as a back up or 1B if that's the case. Right now there's no need to deal either.

It apparently was 15th + Askarov.
For fans, sure. For Askarov and his agent? They'd probably be telling Nashville to get lost. Most organizations don't just waste a young kids career until they're ready. They find an option for them if they think they have high potential. Maybe you put him in that backup/35ish game season before you make a decisions, but if you're signing Saros for 6 years, you're taking a lot of money away from Askarov and I think he'll eventually become bitter/want a better option.

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
I’d do Reinbacher for him straight up
Should have just traded the pick for him when we had the chance
Not a chance. Habs refused Askarov and the 15th OA pick for Reinbacher.
What has changed since then to think that we would offer Reinbacher straight up for him now, especially with the way Jacob Fowler has been doing?

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Not a chance. Habs refused Askarov and the 15th OA pick for Reinbacher.
What has changed since then to think that we would offer Reinbacher straight up for him now, especially with the way Jacob Fowler has been doing?
Yeah and that was a bone head move

Askarov is gonna be a top 5 goalie in the NHL, Reinbacher is like a #3-4 D

• Haha
Reactions: Keylock11

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

Newhook? :laugh:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yeah and that was a bone head move

Askarov is gonna be a top 5 goalie in the NHL, Reinbacher is like a #3-4 D
Huh?

Maybe top 5 goalie prospect, together with Levi, Wallstedt, Wolf, Kotcheokov... I am probably missing someone else. Askarov has done very well in the AHL this year, but in a very small sample size of 5 games. How you would take this as proof of future excellence in the NHL, ignore his previous larger sample of play(i.e 16th in 22-23 AHL GAA, tied for 13th in sv%, one NHL game with poor stats), is beyond me.

Your comment on Reinbacher seemed to be made with the intention of getting MTL fans riled up. I don't really care(not a MTL fan), but it's silly, childish, and makes it hard to take anything you say seriously.

Reactions: pth2

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Huh?

Maybe top 5 goalie prospect, together with Levi, Wallstedt, Wolf, Kotcheokov... I am probably missing someone else. Askarov has done very well in the AHL this year, but in a very small sample size of 5 games. How you would take this as proof of future excellence in the NHL, ignore his previous larger sample of play(i.e 16th in 22-23 AHL GAA, tied for 13th in sv%, one NHL game with poor stats), is beyond me.

Your comment on Reinbacher seemed to be made with the intention of getting MTL fans riled up. I don't really care(not a MTL fan), but it's silly, childish, and makes it hard to take anything you say seriously.
I am a Habs fan but ok

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad