Value of: Best 1 for 1 return for Askarov

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I don’t think Askarov would return anything close the the 11OA pick used on him, unfortunately.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
Seems like the only trade that makes sense is Askarov for a young center, with top 6 ability. Mercer's an expensive price to pay, and has had mixed results at C making it an unideal swap for both sides but maybe would get it done.

I have no idea where Mercer goes from here but his start has been quite poor and it's now an open question where he fits long term in the Devils' plans.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Reinbacher is of no interest. Trotz was only looking to make him available for one of the centers/forwards available in the top 5.

Can you provide a source for that? There were rumors he wanted Reinbacher. Anyway it's an argument that is irrelevant as the Habs reportedly declined Askarov + for the 5th so they could pick reinbacher. So I'm assuming that 5 months later they would have the same opinion.

Reactions: Steeler23

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Can you provide a source for that? There were rumors he wanted Reinbacher. Anyway it's an argument that is irrelevant as the Habs reportedly declined Askarov + for the 5th so they could pick reinbacher. So I'm assuming that 5 months later they would have the same opinion.
Every piece of reporting surrounding Trotz at the draft, except for one Montreal source apparently. This is the first time nearly any Preds fan would have heard there was interest in Reinbacher for that package.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
I wouldn't want to trade Askarov unless I'm getting a young, potential franchise center.
good luck with that

Reinbacher is of no interest. Trotz was only looking to make him available for one of the centers/forwards available in the top 5.
that's fine because Montreal isn't trading him for Askarov anyway

Last edited:

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Seems like the "best case scenario" for the Preds keeping Askarov is for him to develop into a legit starter, but stuck behind an older, more established and more expensive starter. Kind of a Luongo/Schneider type of situation in Vancouver, where both wants to start 60 games, and neither is super happy with the amounts of games they get. The Nucks did pretty good in getting value for Schneider, but that wasn't a lock, Gillis could've easily got lowballed and he would be in a tough spot.

If that is the "best case scenario", seems kind of prudent to explore what they can get for Askarov in the open market right now. Or, if they are going to rebuild anyways, sell high on Saros when Askarov is ready? Obviously not selling Askarov on a discount, but if you can get a young 2C or top 3D or a blue chip prospect, it might be worth considering?

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Mercer for Askarov makes sense also maybe Savoie for Askarov.

If I’m buffalo I’d offer-

Krebs, Ostlund/Rosen and a 2024 3rd for Askarov

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
Looking backwards: he was apparently available for the #5 pick at the draft, though we can't know who was going to be adding. I'd assume it was #5 for #15 and Askarov but we can't know.
Sorry, I just want to clarify

That was or suggested to be pick 5 and potentially 15 for Askarov? A prospect goal tender?

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
He’s easily 1A/1B goalie prospect in the game today, check his AHL numbers this season, he absolutely could get some decent return
Decent sure. Not 11 tho

Mercer would probably go in the 3-6 range of a 2020 redraft so....
Yeah I gues Mercer is the best player I could see it making sense for, but I don’t agree that he goes top 6 in a redraft.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Yeah, I really doubt the highest Askarov can get is a a good prospect and a 2nd.
:eyeroll:
He's one of the best goalie prospects in the league and he's putting up crazy numbers in Milwaukee.
Teams don’t go crazy and send prime assets away over a few games….

He’s a goalie. I mean, you can doubt it all you’d like, but show us where a team has ever sent any prime assets away for an unproven goalie. Even one drafted in the first round. They just don’t.
He’s easily 1A/1B goalie prospect in the game today, check his AHL numbers this season, he absolutely could get some decent return
Its only a few games this year.

Nobody’s taking anything away from him as a prospect, but he’s less than .910 overall, in less than a season worth of AHL games. That’s nothing special.

NHL teams have just never shown that they’re willing to spend prime assets on goalies who are unproven at the NHL level. So the entire thread is fantasy.

It’s literally happened once in modern history, that a team traded a recent 1st Round goalie before he played in the NHL and proven himself.

That was Rask, who was traded a year later for Andrew Raycroft. Not exactly a stunning return. Certainly not a high value return.

Value wise, the best example is probably Bill Ranford, and he even had a year in the NHL. But in 1988 he was traded for Andy Moog and Geoff Courtnall. He was considered a great prospect as a 3rd rounder. Like I said though, had already shown he could be an NHL starter.

So it just doesn’t happen.

hurdemz

Tub thumpin'
Jul 15, 2022
Ssm, ON
Wish the leafs had the assets to get him. Been following him since his draft. Nashville has a good problem with possibly 2 franchise goalies. Build from the net out

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Teams don’t go crazy and send prime assets away over a few games….

He’s a goalie. I mean, you can doubt it all you’d like, but show us where a team has ever sent any prime assets away for an unproven goalie. Even one drafted in the first round. They just don’t.

Its only a few games this year.
No, Askarov put up some great numbers last year as a rookie, the only rookies with better numbers were 24-25.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad