Value of: Best 1 for 1 return for Askarov

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Reinbacher is of no interest. Trotz was only looking to make him available for one of the centers/forwards available in the top 5.
The word in Montreal was that the offer was made with the intent of drafting Reinbacher.
My working theory is that #15 was offered, and Montreal was asking for 15 and 24, in addition to Askarov. NAS wasn't willing to go that far.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
We won't ever know that answer if Saros is here long term. If Saros extends then he is getting 65%+ of the games each year. When are we going to know that about Askarov, but more importantly why do we need to know that before we trade him? There's a possibility that he never becomes a #1 goaltender, just like there's the possibility of who ever we would acquire doesn't develop. If we are rolling the dice and hoping a guy develops why not do it in a position of scarcity without a long term option for the next half decade?

This is all dependent on Saros signing of course, but I do think that happens as I argue this.
I have always assumed Saros would sign a long-term extension this summer. But I still don't see how that automatically blocks Askarov. We just lived through a very similar scenario in fact with Saros and Rinne. If the young gun is doing well, you get a sense of it for sure, and you can't just keep running the old man out there as much, gradually a changing of the guard occurs. IF Askarov is ever that good. But it literally just happened like that for us, and it didn't cause any problems at all, so I don't see why we'd imagine a problem down the road. It actually sounds GOOD to me if there is a nice succession in place for our future in goal? :dunno:

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
The word in Montreal was that the offer was made with the intent of drafting Reinbacher.
My working theory is that #15 was offered, and Montreal was asking for 15 and 24, in addition to Askarov. NAS wasn't willing to go that far.
I haven't seen a single source relaying Trotz's comments at the draft that gave any indication he was shopping for anything except one of the young centers.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I have always assumed Saros would sign a long-term extension this summer. But I still don't see how that automatically blocks Askarov. We just lived through a very similar scenario in fact with Saros and Rinne. If the young gun is doing well, you get a sense of it for sure, and you can't just keep running the old man out there as much, gradually a changing of the guard occurs. IF Askarov is ever that good. But it literally just happened like that for us, and it didn't cause any problems at all, so I don't see why we'd imagine a problem down the road. It actually sounds GOOD to me if there is a nice succession in place for our future in goal? :dunno:
I think they could hold both goalies and I am not discounting it as a possibility. I am more questioning the thought process. If you like Saros enough to sign him long term then why not attempt to use Askarov to obtain a different asset that would contribute more than 25 games a year for the next half decade?

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I haven't seen a single source relaying Trotz's comments at the draft that gave any indication he was shopping for anything except one of the young centers.
Yeah, there is zero doubt Trotz was hoping for one of the centers to be available. Montreal at #5 was only going to be a trading partner if somebody else took Michkov earlier and then Montreal was left with Smith. But that all dried up very quickly on draft day, once it became clear that Michkov was dropping. There was not going to be any consideration whatsoever of Reinbacher from the Preds' side. Some of us fans argued for using the pick on Michkov anyway. But I do believe Trotz only had eyes for the 4 centers, and really, he was aiming more for picks above #5, so Montreal wasn't even the team he was primarily interested in talking to.

But it was all utterly hopeless regardless, none of the teams were even giving him the time of day, so I think it's a bit of a stretch to read too much into it. I'm sure teams do their due diligence trying to see if somebody with a high pick wants to trade down every year. And it almost never happens.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Trotz says we are planning to sign Saros to a long term deal and I do expect that happens. Askarov is looking right on track in Milwaukee, so I assume he will be shopped for assets at some point. Most of the Askarov deal ideas previous to this have all been package type things. I am curious if there is a 1 for 1 trade match for Askarov with the goal of reassigning the asset somewhere besides netminder. Preds fans will all say we would only take a center back, but I think we have too many holes to be picky.

Bonus question: Is there a bigger deal where Nashville is the buyer and is adding to Askarov if they were targeting a young center with potential?
It’s tough because before teams like to give up ANY assets for a goaltender, they want to see some consistent success in the NHL. In this situation, he’s likely going to have to back-up Saros for 1-2 years, and show what he can do (in the NHL) “consistently”, before anyone gives up any prime assets for him.

That said, what can you get today? Maybe a good, but not great forward prospect or a 2nd Round pick? Maybe a team like the Leafs, who have been desperate, would give up a late first rounder, but unfortunately for Nashville fans, that’s about as much as they’d get today.

Teams just don’t value goaltenders. Especially when they haven’t seen any success yet. Doesn’t matter where they were drafted.

Goaltender prospects are only very valuable, to the teams who draft them.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
It’s tough because before teams like to give up ANY assets for a goaltender, they want to see some consistent success in the NHL. In this situation, he’s likely going to have to back-up Saros for 1-2 years, and show what he can do (in the NHL) “consistently”, before anyone gives up any prime assets for him.

That said, what can you get today? Maybe a good, but not great forward prospect or a 2nd Round pick? Maybe a team like the Leafs, who have been desperate, would give up a late first rounder, but unfortunately for Nashville fans, that’s about as much as they’d get today.

Teams just don’t value goaltenders. Especially when they haven’t seen any success yet. Doesn’t matter where they were drafted.

Goaltender prospects are only very valuable, to the teams who draft them.

Yeah, I really doubt the highest Askarov can get is a a good prospect and a 2nd. :eyeroll: He's one of the best goalie prospects in the league and he's putting up crazy numbers in Milwaukee.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I haven't seen them either, but both could be true. We know he wanted a 1C that in retrospect was completely far fetched. It's also possible he saw Reinbacher as a top pair guy and decided it was worth a try to get high enough to draft him.

Reactions: Steeler23 and pth2

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I think they could hold both goalies and I am not discounting it as a possibility. I am more questioning the thought process. If you like Saros enough to sign him long term then why not attempt to use Askarov to obtain a different asset that would contribute more than 25 games a year for the next half decade?
Because you need 2 goalies on a hockey team and will still need a successor to Saros? I think that's worth more than the Holtz-level prospects you are going to get offered, that's all. And if some loon fan pipes up offering more, well, that's one loon... it's not what NHL GMs will offer. :dunno:

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Nashville has the right to ask for whatever they want but remember that any young goalie becoming a legit starter feels like a coin flip. Most offers (besides Reinbacher) are going to players the team feels won't rock the boat if they get traded.

If a GM offers a top tier player and Askarov doesn't turn into the great goaltender people think he can be then that GM will be fired quickly.

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Because you need 2 goalies on a hockey team and will still need a successor to Saros? I think that's worth more than the Holtz-level prospects you are going to get offered, that's all. And if some loon fan pipes up offering more, well, that's one loon... it's not what NHL GMs will offer. :dunno:
It isn't hard to find a backup goalie to start 20 games. Lanky is the perfect example. I just don't understand sacrificing a trade potential that could benefit this terrible team now, so that we feel good about having a succession plan that could never happen.

Reactions: MD93

pth2

Jan 7, 2018

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
This is a mediocre source, but they claim Nashville was going to draft Reinbacher.

Everyone else has said that they were looking to get a top pick to draft a center or Michkov. I would doubt any rumor having us move up to draft a defenseman, even Reinbacher.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Everyone else has said that they were looking to get a top pick to draft a center or Michkov. I would doubt any rumor having us move up to draft a defenseman, even Reinbacher.
We don't have a 1D projection in the pipeline. Why would it be out to lunch for us to draft one?

Molendyk has exceeded expectations early, and I hope he is a top pair guy. I don't think that was the expectation at the draft though.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
We don't have a 1D projection in the pipeline. Why would it be out to lunch for us to draft one?

Molendyk has exceeded expectations early, and I hope he is a top pair guy. I don't think that was the expectation at the draft though.
Because we've spent 25 years drafting and developing defensemen without a top 5 pick and we haven't had a young top center that entire time. Molendyk is a perfect example, why draft Reinbacher at 5 when we drafted him 24th.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Because we've spent 25 years drafting and developing defensemen without a top 5 pick and we haven't had a young top center that entire time. Molendyk is a perfect example, why draft Reinbacher at 5 when we drafted him 24th.
Well we didn't have Molendyk when we tried to move up, but why draft Askarov in the 1st if we've had competent goaltending most of our existence? I don't think you can use past history of success as a template especially with a new GM.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I don't see any need for the Preds to trade Askarov. He's a fun player, but still has some holes in his game to work on. There's definitely no rush for the Preds to do that, especially at this juncture when the team doesn't have its AHL-level goaltending secured atm.

The NHL can move fairly quickly on Expansion if they want to, however. So while we don't have anything tangible announced yet, it would not shock me if there was Expansion within 3 years. That's $$$ in owners' pockets. So it's going to happen. Just a question of when. If Askarov is an NHL goalie by that time, then maybe the Preds will have a reason to consider trading him closer to the next Expansion Draft. :dunno:

You could argue longer they keep him behind Saros the lower his value will get.
& especially if/when Saros gets signed everyone will know what that means for Askarov

I’d trade him while he’s still ranked as a top tier prospect

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Trotz says we are planning to sign Saros to a long term deal and I do expect that happens. Askarov is looking right on track in Milwaukee, so I assume he will be shopped for assets at some point. Most of the Askarov deal ideas previous to this have all been package type things. I am curious if there is a 1 for 1 trade match for Askarov with the goal of reassigning the asset somewhere besides netminder. Preds fans will all say we would only take a center back, but I think we have too many holes to be picky.

Bonus question: Is there a bigger deal where Nashville is the buyer and is adding to Askarov if they were targeting a young center with potential?
duplicate

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Mercer is intriguing to me. I don't think it's what Nash fan would want, but I don't think it's ridiculously short of a fair offer by any stretch.
Mercer is an overpayment given he is a proven top 6 forward in NHL while Askarov is still unknown whether he can cut it in NHL.

I don't think Nashville is going to get a better forward than that.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Mercer is an overpayment given he is a proven top 6 forward in NHL while Askarov is still unknown whether he can cut it in NHL.

I don't think Nashville is going to get a better forward than that.
I said this on our Nash board, but I'll repeat it, there is a chasm between what Preds fans want back for Askarov and what they realistically should be happy with in a return. The argument has basically turned into "well if we can't get a potential 1C then why even bother". Maybe Barry agrees, but I don't agree with that asset management when we have so many other holes on this team.

Kingfan1967

Oct 6, 2017
current preds goalies both 28 and the preds have over $6million in cap.
Lankinen, Kevin backup UFA in 2024-25 ($2million AAV)
Saros starter UFA in 2025-2026 ($5million AAV)
why trade the insurance goalie?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad