Value of: Best 1 for 1 return for Askarov

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I'd do it. I love Askarov, but I do think he's a lot more uncertain than many fans here seem to think. Assuming the trade was predicated on the assumption that Nylander was at least "open" to signing for a nice payday in Nashville, anyway. Obviously we couldn't do it just for a rental player if he was totally uninterested. But he's a superstar now, and as long as we're in the running, that's a fair swap.

McDonagh is an "adequate" #4D with character/leadership attributes. But that doesn't really benefit us in Nashville atm with a non-competitive team.

If we add Samsonov, no real problem, we should be able to flip either him or Lankinen elsewhere? They are both valid NHL goalies, even if not starter material? I wouldn't hold up a deal just based on that goalie end of things anyway. :dunno:
Only issue is Mcdonagh has a NTC so if he didn't want to go to Toronto it's pretty much dead in the water.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
If I’m understanding Preds fans correctly, Askarov is so good that he should return a top 6 centre ? If he’s that good then why not move Saros who would get a better return.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
We don't have to trade him, but he's one of the best goalie prospects in the league we're not dealing him for crap.
If Trotz truly believes in Askarov he should move Saros and bleed the Oilers for everything they have.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Askarov + unprotected 2024 1st for Reinbacher

Would have done #5 OA for Askarov + #15 at last draft and then picked ASP but that ship has sailed, unfortunately.

If we're moving Askarov AND our 1st this year we're getting an elite center prospect that isn't available. Askarov + 15 was available for a big offensive talent at the draft, I don't know why we'd pay more for Reinbacher.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
If we're moving Askarov AND our 1st this year we're getting an elite center prospect that isn't available. Askarov + 15 was available for a big offensive talent at the draft, I don't know why we'd pay more for Reinbacher.
I'm not sure they'd have drafted a Michkov or a Danielson with that pick tbh.

Looking at Nashville defense and its D prospects, it is really, really bare. I think they'd have gone BPA and if they felt it was Reinbacher they'd have picked him.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I'm not sure they'd have drafted a Michkov or a Danielson with that pick tbh.

Looking at Nashville defense and its D prospects, it is really, really bare. I think they'd have gone BPA and if they felt it was Reinbacher they'd have picked him.

Trotz has been on record saying we were dangling Askarov to get into the top 4-5 and draft a forward, would have been Smith or Michkov most likely.
We know how to find defensemen and while it would be cool to see another Swiss guy with Josi it really wouldn't have made sense to trade up just to draft a defenseman, especially as we got Molendyk with our 2nd 1st anyway.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Trotz has been on record saying we were dangling Askarov to get into the top 4-5 and draft a forward, would have been Smith or Michkov most likely.
We know how to find defensemen and while it would be cool to see another Swiss guy with Josi it really wouldn't have made sense to trade up just to draft a defenseman, especially as we got Molendyk with our 2nd 1st anyway.
Not to mention our prospect pool on D is anything but bare, our bigger issue is not having room to move guys up.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Best offer from the Habs would likely be Mailloux, a RD with a lot of offensive potential but still raw.

Other options would be Harris, Xhekaj, Barron or Beck.

Suzuki, Caufield, Dach, Newhook, Slaf, Hutson, Reinbacher, Guhle would be off the table.
Not so sure about Hutson

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
If I’m understanding Preds fans correctly, Askarov is so good that he should return a top 6 centre ? If he’s that good then why not move Saros who would get a better return.
You definitely do NOT understand correctly.

Nobody is saying Askarov SHOULD return a top-6 center. We're just saying that's the only return that would make us interested in moving him. Because we have all the other kinds of prospects and draft picks we need, and we also need Askarov. So for us to move him, a team would have to give us the one thing we don't have in the pipeline: a top-6 center. Everybody knows that's not going to happen. Nobody is expecting it to happen or asking for it to happen. But since people are asking about Askarov, hey, that's what it would take. So hopefully those people asking can just go away and stop asking. That's more like what we're asking for: people to stop asking about our goalies! :D

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Not to mention our prospect pool on D is anything but bare, our bigger issue is not having room to move guys up.
It looks very bare to me.

Ufko, Molendyk and???

Fabbro/Lauzon/Carrier are the youngest Ds on the roster at 26-27 as well, and they all look like 3rd pair D.

Am I missing someone? Who are those studs young Ds in the Preds system???

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
You definitely do NOT understand correctly.

Nobody is saying Askarov SHOULD return a top-6 center. We're just saying that's the only return that would make us interested in moving him. Because we have all the other kinds of prospects and draft picks we need, and we also need Askarov. So for us to move him, a team would have to give us the one thing we don't have in the pipeline: a top-6 center. Everybody knows that's not going to happen. Nobody is expecting it to happen or asking for it to happen. But since people are asking about Askarov, hey, that's what it would take. So hopefully those people asking can just go away and stop asking. That's more like what we're asking for: people to stop asking about our goalies! :D
You realize this thread was started by a Preds fan

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
It looks very bare to me.

Ufko, Molendyk and???

Fabbro/Lauzon/Carrier are the youngest Ds on the roster at 26-27 as well, and they all look like 3rd pair D.

Am I missing someone? Who are those studs young Ds in the Preds system???
How many teams are running around with a ton of stud young D? Most teams do good to have 1 in the entire system let alone multiples. Care to name me the Josi or Makar floating around in yours?

And for what its worth Trotz already stated if he would have allowed it Brunette would have had Molendyk on the roster. We are fine, if there is one thing this organization has done well over the last 20 years is draft and develop Dmen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
How many teams are running around with a ton of stud young D? Most teams do good to have 1 in the entire system let alone multiples. Care to name me the Josi or Makar floating around in yours?
I'm a Habs fan, so it is definitely a strenght (Reinbacher, Harris, Xhekaj, Guhle, Struble, Hutson, Mailloux, Norlinder, Engstrom, Trudeau...). There are also teams like Anaheim, Buffalo, Ottawa, NJ, etc. that have strong, young upcoming Ds.

I was just answering to someone saying trading Askarov is only for a potential top 6 C, while I think Nashville needs young top 4 D as much as young Cs IMO.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I'm a Habs fan, so it is definitely a strenght (Reinbacher, Harris, Xhekaj, Guhle, Struble, Hutson, Mailloux, Norlinder, Engstrom, Trudeau...). There are also teams like Anaheim, Buffalo, Ottawa, NJ, etc. that have strong, young upcoming Ds.

I was just answering to someone saying trading Askarov is only for a potential top 6 C, while I think Nashville needs young top 4 D as much as young Cs IMO.
See here is the thing, I think I know 2 of those names, and they certainly all aren't
" stud Dmen ". They may newly drafted and promising from a Habs perspective, but if they are studs everyone knows their names before they even get here.

Yeah we could definitely probably use a guy capable of being a #1 guy, but what teams don't? The main reason we keep saying a top young forward is because that is what our GM is saying. It's not out of left field.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad