Value of: Best 1 for 1 return for Askarov

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
As a Devils fan I would do the trade. It would be the most butt clenching trade ever and I'd lose sleep over if I did the wrong thing but in the end I take the chance.

What type of Goalie is Askarov anyway? Big and always in position? Athletic flopper?

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
As a Devils fan I would do the trade. It would be the most butt clenching trade ever and I'd lose sleep over if I did the wrong thing but in the end I take the chance.

What type of Goalie is Askarov anyway? Big and always in position? Athletic flopper?

Athletic flopper, Vokoun/Hasek style wise.

Reactions: Xirik

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017

His legs are crazy. His arms are all over the place and he is very unorthodox with the way he challenges plays and goes out of his crease. Technique wise his trapper was still basically "broken" last year, but one imagines the Preds are working with him on it. Basically he makes up for all the weird technique just by being able to move his legs faster than anybody else, and with his colorful personality. He's not big or positionally good, he makes things... uh... fun. :D

Anyway, it's not a move that the Preds would make today, there are no other goalies in the pipeline yet, and Mercer has given that slight pause for doubt with his start this season. Maybe next off-season. It's not like Askarov could play in the NHL today anyway, he's not ready, so it's the kind of thing that it would be better for the Devils to circle back to next summer and see where all the parties involved are at.

Reactions: Xirik

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
His legs are crazy. His arms are all over the place and he is very unorthodox with the way he challenges plays and goes out of his crease. Technique wise his trapper was still basically "broken" last year, but one imagines the Preds are working with him on it. Basically he makes up for all the weird technique just by being able to move his legs faster than anybody else, and with his colorful personality. He's not big or positionally good, he makes things... uh... fun. :D

Anyway, it's not a move that the Preds would make today, there are no other goalies in the pipeline yet, and Mercer has given that slight pause for doubt with his start this season. Maybe next off-season. It's not like Askarov could play in the NHL today anyway, he's not ready, so it's the kind of thing that it would be better for the Devils to circle back to next summer and see where all the parties involved are at.
Do the Preds have a good goalie coach?

Devils fans are getting a little suspicious of the teams goalie coach, Blackwood sucked and is doing a bit better with the Sharks and Schmid and Vanecek are trending downwards.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Why not trade Lankinen and let Askarov understudy Saros for 3 years.

Go from there.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I'd argue that's the plan more than anything unless Trotz gets the deal he wants like he was trying to get at the draft.
I dont see a world where Saros is willing to split his net 42-40 or even 50-32. Even with Lankinen playing well last season the backup only played 19 games. Rinne split the net because he was going into retirement mode. Saros still has several years before getting to that point

Reactions: IWantSakicAsMyGM

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
The only way we'd trade him is to get a piece to build with. A 1st lower than the one we drafted him with and random crap would be insulting.
That’s why it’s ridiculous to even think of trading him YET… In modern history, teams have never traded prime assets for a goaltender who hasn’t shown he can consistently perform in the NHL. The ones who’ve been traded (who’ve never shown NHL consistent play) in modern memory, who were considered top young prospects, haven’t brought much in return. Rask brought Raycroft, who was struggling when the trade was made, but was good the prior season.

You have to go back to Billy Ranford, to find a team who gave significant assets for a really good young goalie, and remember too, Ranford had shown he could perform consistently in the NHL, with over 50 games when that trade was made.

With the way goalies develop, teams just don’t pay top dollar for non-NHL proven goalies. For the Preds to get any high assets in return, he’s gonna have to show he can play in the NHL. Likely as Saros’ backup for a year or two.

Unfortunately, history says, if they traded him today, they’re not getting any high-end assets in return. They could include him in a bigger trade for someone else, where he’s a great piece to that trade, but no team is going to trade for him to play immediately. They’re going after someone proven.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Perhaps we shouldn't talk about anything on this chat forum.
Point more is right now he's nowhere close to splitting time with Saros, he would be better off in Milwaukee playing every night. Saros started splitting after several seasons in Milwaukee and the team had a pretty good idea he was at least going to be a good back up. We can't even say that about Askarov atm.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

If Nashville trade falls through Habs might be interested in Mercer? Would you move him for about 12th pick in draft

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
We value him like you guys value Edvinsson or Danielson.

I'm not sure gms value goalies the same as center or D prospects tho.

NJ let's say? Maybe it's Nemec, maybe it's Mercer. Edmonton? Not sure what they could realistically offer plus he's not a win now goalie

Very unproven. Best on a rebuilding team. Chicago or something

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad