Rumor: All Purpose Trade Proposals, Speculation and Rumours - 2023/24

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
We can revisit this when we lose heinola on waivers this year haha
Again, not bothered. AHL points don’t impress me. If he shows he can play a NHL game he will stay.

I don’t see any prospects that the Jets have given up on that they should regret losing. Who is the best they lost? Roslovic? Harkins? Does it look like we should have “Freed Petan”? “Free Postma”? “Free Vesalainen”? Once that starts happening I will jump in the pool with the rest and talk about how the sky is falling.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
100 % agree and I will add that once a player is waiver eligible no longer should they be seen as prospects since most are now at least D+6. They are now boarder line players in their mid 20’s.
Good point for sure
Don't understand the rhetoric about Chevy acquiring Schmidt as a bottom pairing guy - he was pencilled into the top pairing with Josh and had a long look there to start the year.

I doubt it ever came down to Kova vs Schmidt
Very true.

Reactions: FlappyGiraffe

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Again, not bothered. AHL points don’t impress me. If he shows he can play a NHL game he will stay.

I don’t see any prospects that the Jets have given up on that they should regret losing. Who is the best they lost? Roslovic? Harkins? Does it look like we should have “Freed Petan”? “Free Postma”? “Free Vesalainen”? Once that starts happening I will jump in the pool with the rest and talk about how the sky is falling.
Typical HF straw man - disappointing you'd resort to this.. argument is that we didn't trust our draft and develop with dmen and signed Schmidt instead - who although we pretend he was fine he was not and he cost us needed cap space

The real problem no one is talking about is that pionk is actually one of those 5/6 D that are fully dispensable... but here he is in our top 4

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Puckpedia has us with 5.8M in cap space.. is that right?

I'm guessing 3M or 3.5M for Cole on a bridge deal

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
If they went long term it needs to be more than 5 years, which would put him right on UFA status. I'd be happy with $6.25 M for 7 years. Need to shed salary 1st.

Yeah I think 5 takes him right to UFA. 7 would be better but they'd probably have to go a little higher for aav. We'd probably have enough once we drop one of the three goalies.

Perfetti will cost less than Byfield. I think the Jets will either go with a 2-year bridge, or they'll try to go for at least 6-7 years.

Why would he? They have near identical goals and counting numbers.

Wpgpage

Nov 25, 2010
Byfield 179 GP 88 PTS 55 PTS 23/24
Lundell 216 GP 112 PTS 35 PTS 23/24
Perfetti 140 GP 75 PTS 38 PTS 23/24

He is a lot closer to Lundell as a comparable. Lundell probably gives the Cats a bit of a discount given the cup win and the no tax state. If you are going to 7 or 8 years then I think you are talking about close to 7 mil to buy out Multiple UFA years.

Even if they do walk him to UFA that's not the worst deal in the world if it keeps costs down 5 years is still 5 years.

25 mil /5 or 34/6 is probably the range he's going to be looking at. I think any deal in that range is a good one for the Jets

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yeah I think 5 takes him right to UFA. 7 would be better but they'd probably have to go a little higher for aav. We'd probably have enough once we drop one of the three goalies.

Why would he? They have near identical goals and counting numbers.
55 points vs. 38 points last season (Perfetti's injuries will factor into the equation).

Draft slot has a residual impact on the contract, and Byfield was a #2 overall.

Byfield is likely seen as having a higher ceiling and earning potential in the coming seasons.

Here are the Evolving Hockey projections... Byfield got quite a bit more than projected, indicating that the Kings think he's going to take off in the next couple of years.

1721087282258.png

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
55 points vs. 38 points last season (Perfetti's injuries will factor into the equation).

Byfield is likely seen as having a higher ceiling and earning potential in the coming seasons.

Here are the Evolving Hockey projections... Byfield got quite a bit more than projected, indicating that the Kings think he's going to take off in the next couple of years.

View attachment 895149

I don't put any stock in those contract charts given we've already seen a good many young forwards greatly exceed those projections. Cole will likely as well with Overhardt as his agent.

Byfield has also had injuries as well as a pro and his usage has been far superior. He also slumped hard last year but had an org that didn't penalize him for it unlike ours. I doubt Cole's camp will be willing to entertain a Ltd if the Jets aren't willing to pay a premium up on top of what those charts say.

Truth be told I don't see him signing a Ltd at this point as the Jets won't pay him like Byfield and he won't accept less.

Reactions: robertocarlos

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I don't put any stock in those contract charts given we've already seen a good many young forwards greatly exceed those projections. Cole will likely as well with Overhardt as his agent.

Byfield has also had injuries as well as a pro and his usage has been far superior. He also slumped hard last year but had an org that didn't penalize him for it unlike ours. I doubt Cole's camp will be willing to entertain a Ltd if the Jets aren't willing to pay a premium up on top of what those charts say.

Truth be told I don't see him signing a Ltd at this point as the Jets won't pay him like Byfield and he won't accept less.
I think Perfetti will exceed the projections, as I think the market has shifted for players coming out of their ELCs. But I think Perfetti will get less than Byfield, for sure.

Hard to know what the Jets will offer, but it's hard for a young player to forego a big long-term deal unless they are a top-end young player. Perfetti has a lot of potential, but not as sure a talent as some that sign long-term out of ELCs.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Typical HF straw man - disappointing you'd resort to this.. argument is that we didn't trust our draft and develop with dmen and signed Schmidt instead - who although we pretend he was fine he was not and he cost us needed cap space

The real problem no one is talking about is that pionk is actually one of those 5/6 D that are fully dispensable... but here he is in our top 4
Typical HF, posters using terms they don’t understand. There is no straw man. I replied directly to what you said. If Heinola leaves it will be because he just wasn’t good enough. That’s all.

Draft and develop doesn’t meant you don't evaluate and throw players into the line up just because they are there. They need to be good enough. I’ll take Schmidt over Kovacevic all day. You don’t need to trust when you are evaluating and confirming. You know the Jets organization coach and watch every game these guys play on the Moose right? Again who are these great players who moved on to show the Jets they were wrong in their evaluations?

If the Jets could have got a better cheaper defenseman don’t you think they would have instead of Schmidt? If you haven’t noticed good defensemen are hard to get and even harder for the Jets. If the previous couple years before Schmidt came wasn’t proof enough of that. Do we all wish he was better? Absolutely, and that includes the Jets I’m sure. But they were desperate for NHL talent. Dillon IMO was fantastic. Schmidt didn’t quite work the way they hoped. But removing dollars from the equation there was nothing in house better.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Byfield 179 GP 88 PTS 55 PTS 23/24
Lundell 216 GP 112 PTS 35 PTS 23/24
Perfetti 140 GP 75 PTS 38 PTS 23/24

He is a lot closer to Lundell as a comparable. Lundell probably gives the Cats a bit of a discount given the cup win and the no tax state. If you are going to 7 or 8 years then I think you are talking about close to 7 mil to buy out Multiple UFA years.

Even if they do walk him to UFA that's not the worst deal in the world if it keeps costs down 5 years is still 5 years.

25 mil /5 or 34/6 is probably the range he's going to be looking at. I think any deal in that range is a good one for the Jets

Byfield 179 GP 88 PTS 55 PTS 23/24 - Career PPG 0.49 - 28 Career Goals
Lundell 216 GP 112 PTS 35 PTS 23/24 - Career PPG 0.52 - 42 Career Goals
Perfetti 140 GP 75 PTS 38 PTS 23/24 - Career PPG 0.54 - 29 Career Goals

So Cole has 1 more goal in 39 fewer games than Byfield does and Byfield has had much more favourable deployment, especially this year. To date Byfield has more assists but long term I still think Cole is the better playmaker.

Lots of ways to spin numbers, opportunities etc but all three have produced in a similar fashion over the last three years. All have had injuries, all have had success and all have had a long drought (Jets fans focus on Perfetti's dry spell, but both Byfield and Lundell have had dry spells just as long and pronounced this past year)

View attachment 895149

Cole won't get what Byfield got, but would suspect it will be just under. Their numbers to date are very close across the board (Byfield has a few more secondary assists) but like you said his pedigree is better as a 2nd OV pick and that plays into it.

Byfield got 6.25 X 5. I think Perfetti gets 5.75 on a 5 year deal

I still suspect a bridge deal is most likely and that probably look like 4M X 2 or 4.75 x 3 IMO

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Byfield 179 GP 88 PTS 55 PTS 23/24 - Career PPG 0.49 - 28 Career Goals
Lundell 216 GP 112 PTS 35 PTS 23/24 - Career PPG 0.52 - 42 Career Goals
Perfetti 140 GP 75 PTS 38 PTS 23/24 - Career PPG 0.54 - 29 Career Goals

So Cole has 1 more goal in 39 fewer games than Byfield does and Byfield has had much more favourable deployment, especially this year. To date Byfield has more assists but long term I still think Cole is the better playmaker.

Lots of ways to spin numbers, opportunities etc but all three have produced in a similar fashion over the last three years. All have had injuries, all have had success and all have had a long drought (Jets fans focus on Perfetti's dry spell, but both Byfield and Lundell have had dry spells just as long and pronounced this past year)

Cole won't get what Byfield got, but would suspect it will be just under. Their numbers to date are very close across the board (Byfield has a few more secondary assists) but like you said his pedigree is better as a 2nd OV pick and that plays into it.

Byfield got 6.25 X 5. I think Perfetti gets 5.75 on a 5 year deal

I still suspect a bridge deal is most likely and that probably look like 4M X 2 or 4.75 x 3 IMO
I think those numbers are a bit high. I'd guess closer to evolving hockey's numbers, unless Perfetti went for the full 8 year deal. I'll call 2 X $3.5 M or 3 X $3.9 M. Chevy rarely gives ground above a fair payment when the player has little leverage.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think those numbers are a bit high. I'd guess closer to evolving hockey's numbers, unless Perfetti went for the full 8 year deal. I'll call 2 X $3.5 M or 3 X $3.9 M. Chevy rarely gives ground above a fair payment when the player has little leverage.

Except those evolving hockey numbers haven't proven at all accurate so far. If Shane get suspended for a half year Pinto gets 700k over those numbers good luck getting Cole at 3.5 million. Byfield got roughly $ 2 million more. Lundell more in a tax free state. I think you can toss those projections right out the window given what his comps have signed for. Chevy may be a tough negotiator but he's a fair one. Cole will get something right in line with his comps.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Except those evolving hockey numbers haven't proven at all accurate so far. If Shane get suspended for a half year Pinto gets 700k over those numbers good luck getting Cole at 3.5 million. Byfield got roughly $ 2 million more. Lundell more in a tax free state. I think you can toss those projections right out the window given what his comps have signed for. Chevy may be a tough negotiator but he's a fair one. Cole will get something right in line with his comps.
Lundell has a cup.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I've found their numbers to be surprisingly accurate, after starting off as a skeptic. But agreed guys coming off their ELC's have the widest range off their predictions, due to teams paying for potential to lock up young players. I just don't think Perfetti gets more than a Chevy "fair" 2 or 3 year bridge. Unless of course he swallows the hook and signs a 8 year long term deal. Byfield had better counting numbers, is still seen as a center and is as big as a barn which carries a lot of weight.

Reactions: Buffdog

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I've found their numbers to be surprisingly accurate, after starting off as a skeptic. But agreed guys coming off their ELC's have the widest range off their predictions, due to teams paying for potential to lock up young players. I just don't think Perfetti gets more than a Chevy "fair" 2 or 3 year bridge. Unless of course he swallows the hook and signs a 8 year long term deal. Byfield had better counting numbers, is still seen as a center and is as big as a barn which carries a lot of weight.

Chevy is still bound by the market and if all of Coles comps continue to come in well above projections then he's not going to purposefully play hard ball

Also Byfield has played about as much center in the show as Cole. He's no more an NHL center at this point.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I think Chevy likes their projections too. All thr contracts he's signed with guys have been right there

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Chevy is still bound by the market and if all of Coles comps continue to come in well above projections then he's not going to purposefully play hard ball

Also Byfield has played about as much center in the show as Cole. He's no more an NHL center at this point.
I'm a Perfetti fan, but IMO he has fallen off some of his comparables last season. He didn't have a good final ELC year, certainly not one to launch the big payday. Both sides will want a bridge, unless as I've stated Perfetti pushes for full long term and is willing to lock himself in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad